Liked: 126

Default Pocono Double National Roll Call

I'm going... Anybody else?

Liked: 0

when is it again?

14-17 August - Thursday night through Sunday. It's a Double.

Liked: 0

I might be able to go. Never been to pocono even though its the closest track to my house.

Never been there either. A free-for-all as far as know. I'd like to share a garage with someone...

Liked: 273

Default You'll like Pocono

Hey Rob
    You'll like Pocono...decent racing surface and you'll get to run up on part of the oval. I was there as recent as last year racing in the Bertil Roos F2000 series and had a blast. It will be worth the tow.

Is this your first race in the new car? Do you own rain tires? It rains some there.

Regards
    Gary Hickman
    Edge FB #76
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Hey Gary,

Haven't had much luck at New Hampshire yet - finished 1 out of 4 races. Instructed at LRP school and car ran fantastic for 2.5 hours. Go figure.

Yes, I bought new rain tires. We're running the chicane in the middle of the oval section. Still not sure what to gear for top speed. I'll make a smaller diffuser, trim out the front wings without flaps, and remove the upper rear wing for now. Might see 160MPH?

Liked: 273

Rob
    We ran the oval without the chicane...I believe there's several different configs of that course.

If you own an onboard camera it would be cool to see some video.

This is the time of year when I wish I lived on the east coast so I could race some of these iconic tracks.

Good luck and hope to see you at the ARRC this year.

Gary
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Finished LRP National today. No takers for Pocono?

Liked: 80

rob, what happened at pocono? regards, jeremy hill

Pocono is an awful bumpy track! No traction in infield, especially without normal wings and diffuser.

My first time there - no other FB's. My car was setup way too stiff for the track, so bouncy that my glasses bumped up and down, making the track surface appear to move up and down about 50 feet or so (astygmatism...). Scraped bottom on oval turn above tunnel bump - scary - lost traction in rear while looking at wall. Settled car down and tried new lines through there. Finally got that right.

I came nowhere near Jeremy's FB record of 1:32 and change. 1:45 in first session using full front wing, no flaps, used complete diffuser, and no upper rear wing.

Got down to 1:40 in 2nd session after softening shocks and lowering air pressure and adding RH. I could at least see the track then. Really needed softer springs.

Did 1:39 in first race with new rubber.

Saturday afternoon removed diffuser and front wing. Installed front wing flap as front wing. My sister clocked me at 1:37 then - hit 159 MPH near starter.

Never did get turn one right. Much more speed there than what I was doing. Did not use 1st in Devil's corner... that would help a lot... saving gearbox since no other FB's.

Finished both races and had only one off in the infield. Blew through chicane once Sunday following a CSR. He had much better brakes than I did - without any downforce.
    Last edited by RobLav; 08.18.09 at 11:33 PM.

Liked: 3

Default Congratulations

Rob,

Congratulations on the wins it is not easy to finish at Pocono. It is extremely bumpy as you mention.

In my two trips there for the double National my score is two broken half shafts and only one finish. One of the half-shafts let go on the tunnel bump - scary!

Hope to see you at the ARRC...

Sean

Thanks Sean. That track was an eye opener in being better prepared for the unexpected concerning car setup.

All the NE Nationals are finished now. Depending on funds, I'll try to make the ARRC next. My tow vehicle (truck) left me stranded on the way home from Pocono. Climbing those mountains took a toll.

Liked: 553

Good job. Glad to hear you're getting some fun and interesting racing miles. Working out the bugs and should be in even better shape at each race. Good progress.

Sorry to hear about the tow problems. That's never a good thing. At least it wasn't on the way to the track.

Hey, how come no press release about the two race wins? You need to take care of those sponsors. :-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

rob, wish i could have made it, i really enjoyed it in 07, congrats on ne division championship, you should really try to make it to the arrc, it is a great event, cheers, jeremy

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 33

159mph? I find that very hard to believe. I think the Atlantics only made it to 145-150.

thats because the atlantic guys are to scared to take off their wings! jeremy

Liked: 3

Default Pocono Speeds

I believe 159 is realistic in a FB car.

Last time I was there in a FC Zetec. I had cleaned up the aero just like Rob describes. I had to regear the car because my usual 4th gear was way too short. In the end I was hitting 155+ coming past the pits.

I believe Pocono is the fastest (top speed) track that the SCCA runs on. Faster even than Daytona. You run a very long way wide open...

Sean

Atlantics were faster than that...

I consistently saw 12,700 RPM in 6th - with my sprocket setup this calculates out to 158 MPH. This was without diffuser, a single element lower rear wing with zero camber, and a front wing flap cut down and attached to the nosebox. Lowest drag I could manage at the track...

That's the aero package the FC's were using.

Thanks Jeremy - wish you had been there for me to try to chase.

And thanks too to Sean...
    Last edited by RobLav; 08.19.09 at 12:03 PM.

Liked: 1

Default Atlantics at Pocono

We saw 159 once, 158 a few times. Most laps were in the 154 to 155 range depending on wind direction.

Its not that we're afraid to take off the wings (we've done that). It's that the cars are faster with them.

Liked: 553

Just guessing: I think Rob's slippery Citation with tiny sidepods pushes a lot less air than an Atlantic, as well as not having near as much built-in downforce (no tunnels).

Rob, figgering tire growth, you were probably really going nearbout two hunnert. :-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

paul, i knew that would get your attention!!, i figured i ran about 153-155mph in 07 with very little wing, best regards, jeremy

Thread Information