Liked: 0

I have been geared by some people who build my cars to search into Formula BMW. However i was told that its a really expensive series. I cant really find anything about the series but what the have on the BMW website, and it really doesnt explain the details of the series. Based on the videos and profiles, it looks like a series for kids, so i need help. Any info would be good, thanks.

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

If your over 20 forget it! Get a Zetec F2000 and go pro racing.

Liked: 212

Formula BMW is for those under 20 looking to make a career in motorsports. They focus on driver training as well as media relations, interviewing technics (sp) etc. Not for us older farts

Cheers
    Len
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

Liked: 12

I think you'll find that the Formula BMW USA program will fit in at around $175-$225k - right in the middle of Mazda and Zetec. For more information, here's their website:

www.formulabmwusa.com

After a solid debut season where they ironed out a lot of bugs, I'd look for a very strong and well-attended program in 2005.

RH - FCM
    Take care,

Rob Howden
    519-223-1152

The numbers I was told were 300-450K's for ProMazda and Formula BMW, and to run with a top team in Zetec Pro it was like 120k's.
    Give em' Hell Kid!

Holy Topeka

The Gainesville Baller

In Loving Memory of David Dietrich, a father, a friend, a racer.
    (1954-2006)

Those numbers are about right, Lee. $350k is a good figure for Star Mazda. Zetec's around what you said, perhaps a little more. Don't know about BMW, but if I had to guess, it would be somewhere between Mazda and Atlantics...
    Travis Mason-Bushman
    Pacific F2000 Championship Media Relations
    travis@gpsports-eng.com - (510) 260-6224

Ive heard a little bit about Zetec, but i am told by many CART teams that they are looking at the talent in the BMW series. The more ive read, the more i realize that the series is geared for younger drivers, and i myself am 21. So i dont know exactly if its too late or not. Looking at the stats, id be one of the oldest, but Dale Coyne Racing, a CART team, says that my experience and the BMW series would really have them keeping an eye on me. Anybody know the reputation that the Zetec has with pro teams? Cause if it has a good reputation, then the cost to run that series would be much easier.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

Take a look at who the alumni are from the Zetec Series and how they've made out in the last few years-bearing in mind that the whole situation is fluid from year to year as to which is the hot series to run. You can see stats on the Pro web Page (USFF2000.com)

In the end, talent will usually bubble to the top and be recognized from whichever feeder series...but it generally takes more than raw talent to succeed.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Liked: 11

FAQ
    Who gets selected to participate in the Scholarship Shootout?
    The Scholarship application process is open to all drivers who have had some competitive experience and are within the age limits of 15 to 19. A driver must be in his/her first year of car racing and have never competed in a National Level or Professional Car Race. Drivers are selected based on their age, racing background and prior competitive performance.

How fast is the car?
    The FB2 was developed by BMW Motorsport in conjunction with the highly successful European chassis manufacturer, Mygale. In preliminary testing in the USA, the car has produced the following figures:

0-60mph - 3.3 sec lateral g - 1.7 g

It's laptimes are similar to other 2.0 liter carbon chassis formulas.

Can FB2 cars from the other series run in Formula BMW USA?
    Yes, an FB2 from another series can participate in Formula BMW USA as long as the car is retrofitted to accept the HANSĀ® Device and has the full 2004 safety package which is available directly from Mygale.

Can a driver participate in multiple Formula BMW series in a season?
    Yes, a driver may compete in selected events in other series as limited by BMW Motorsport Guidelines.

Can a driver participate in other championships while contesting Formula BMW USA?
    This is permitted in the USA Championship, however we strongly urge drivers to concentrate on one championship per season as we feel it is in their best interest.

How do I get an International License C to participate?
    In order to be eligible, it is highly recommended that you participate in a Licensing Course held at a Formula BMW Racing Center. If you have prior car racing experience and currently hold a license in another accredited Sanctioning Series, please contact the Driver Services Manager to discuss if you can apply directly for the license.

In order to obtain the necessary license, either apply directly with the FIA or if participating in the Series, you may submit the application for the CHAMP CAR Formula BMW USA license and they will secure the FIA License C as well for you.

What are the size limits for a driver?
    The cockpit of the FB2 is very roomy and accommodating to most drivers but a high end limit of 6'2" and near 225 would be a tight fit. If you are borderline and would like to arrange an opportunity to sit in the car, please contact us.

What is the budget for a season?
    Ultimately, the budgets are set by the individual teams. We set the car price (USD 69,500.-) and the Series Registration (USD 20,000.- which includes entry to all races, 2 driving suits, and entry into our official testing. Please see the list of teams and contacts to discuss entry fees directly.

Why choose Formula BMW USA versus the other entry level series in the United States?
    Formula BMW USA offers the most unique and highest quality package to a driver taking his/her first steps into the professional world. The series is heavily supported by a prominent manufacturer. The schedule is unparalleled in exposure at both Formula 1 events and Champ Car events; a fact vitally important to potential sponsors. The series is globally recognized with championships running in Germany, Britain and Asia. The support to the driver in the education/mentoring program is not offered in any other series. Most importantly, the car is designed to highlight safety along with speed and agility. Each of these components alone would make for a strong series, combined they make Formula BMW USA the elite entry level series in the United States.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

I drove in the Formula BMW race at Indy this year. It was an amazing experience and was very expensive. Your looking at 200-250k for the season. I also own a Zetec and drive that, which is much cheeper and in my opinion much more fun to drive. The BMW car is very underpowered compared to the zetec, and I didn't like the mono front shock too much. I had a great time driving the BMW, especially the events they drive at, but I would rather run the zetec in my personal opinion. $ per track time you can't beat the zetec, its truly a great package.
    Morgan<br />Zetec Championship

After doing some extensive research i have learned that indeed Formula BMW is really for the youth. Now im only 23 years old, but i would only be able to run that series for one year...what a waste. I was referred to run Formula Mazda 2. I looked around and saw only the SCCA Formula Mazda but apparently there is a class by Mazda that runs formula cars with 250hp or so. I need to know where can i find more information about that and where i can begin. Many say i have the talent, but i just dont have the resources to get started...if you have any advice, please let me know. I have also considered the Zetec F2000, but i just cant find anything for the sale of cars for that series. ANy input would be beneficial and thank you all for giving me the help...truly you all are first class individuals.

Michael, drop me an e-mail.

travis@gpsports-eng.com
    Travis Mason-Bushman
    Pacific F2000 Championship Media Relations
    travis@gpsports-eng.com - (510) 260-6224

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

For info on the "New" Pro Mazda series go to www.StarMazda.com [it aint cheap] or click on the links resorce at the top of this page and go to F2000 Zetec pro series. If you can get a copy of FormulaCar magazine you will find ads from many teams who run one or both of these series and can give you a cost comparison for the two.

Michael -

Google is your friend. All this info can be found online... also - pick up a Formula Car Magazine.. it covers all of these series and is the only pub that provides in depth info for ALL series, regardless of how much ad dough they flood into anything :P

Price quoted so far all seem close.

Zetec - fast cars, lots of tech, solid engineering experience will be learned - for about $125 with lots of track time and testing
    Formula BMW - slightly quicker than FF1600 and expensive @ $200K plus
    Star Mazda - cars are great - series is very competitive with a lot of cars (though lots of fillers too) but the price is anywhere from $275 - 350 (some teams will eclipse the .5 mil mark guaranteed).

Those are the big three.. but don't forget - if you barely have a budget for zetec .. and it is a one shot deal.. spend $30K, go test for a season, keep working on sponsors, run some SCCA nationals/regionals then join the series prepared the following year and make an actual impact.

Good luck.
    "Luck is when Opportunity meets Preparation"
    RaceDriver/Driver Coach
    Motorsport Enterprises Racing - www.GoTeamMER.com
    Marc's Fan site: http://www.themarcmillershow.com <-- Click it!

Thread Information