Thread: Work benches?

Liked: 0

Post Work benches?

I am looking for some advise on a good work bench to install in our new shop that is not priced in the thousands.

Thanks
    Tom

Liked: 23

I bought a 6' maple table top and some industrial workbench legs & stool for under $500 from McMasterCarr. I later learned it was an FDA approved table top for food preparation, so had I shopped around more I likely could have gotten one for less that was not at a quality above what I really needed.

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Go to your local Lowes/Home Depot. Get the cheapest base cabinets you can. Look in the seconds supply of counter tops. I got a 12' x 24" deep counter top for $75.00. Mount it at the ends onto the base cabinets (or buy some industrial legsa) and Voila!
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 4

Don't mess around go to a local cabinet shop and have the order some 1 7/16 industrial core now you will have some thing you can really beat on. Comes in 25,30,36,49,and 61" widths and up to 145" long. About a buck a square foot.

Dave

Contributing Member
    Liked: 109

Well, I am pretty happy with mine!

I used 99 cent 2x4s, 1" partical board and built them with legs every 4 feet. They are 2 feet deep and as long as you want. screwed to the wall and prob strong enough to mount a car on!

I used this method all over my garage. I have the work bench on a whole side of one area, then shelving units made with the same technique for suspension, tires and etc. Works pretty slick, its cheap, and goes together quickly. I even cut everything by hand! Not as fancy and pretty as the stuff in the tool catalogs, but it only cost $200-300 to fit the whole garage! (I would rather spend the money on the cars) And I have a TON of storage!

If interested, I can take a digital pic and e-mail it to you.

Courtney "corky" Jahn
    ctjahn@hotmail.com

Liked: 141

Charlie - didn't know you could play the voila - we should get together for a duet sometime.

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

It's a Quebec thing.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 11

Here is what we did:
    I picked up all the shelves on Ebay for $250 from a local seller. Then, Jim & I picked up some 2x12 boards, cut them to fit, and joined 2 of them together + a 2x6 for a counter top. We finished it w/ a 2x6 on its side as a back-splash. The counter is stout- hammering, drilling, etc can easily be done. Whole garage was very inexpensive and came out pretty good...

Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Special note for Sean's submission........... He has no children Yet

Sean, that looks awesome. Another example of your commitment.... Is it still this clean???
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

In my basement I have two benches that share a common wall, one on each side of it. I used 2x4's bolted to the studs, made a perimeter frame out of the same, with a double 2x4 legs in each corner. The damn thing will not move. One side has dense particle board covered in urethane like a bar and the other is 1/4" hot rolled steel plate held down w/CS wood screws. It's great for jigs and welding. Also, if your a righty, bolt the vise on the right end of a bench, it makes for easier sawing, grinding and filing.
    Tom Sprecher
    ATL Region Treasurer

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Sean. I see from your first photo to the last photo that you managed to fill up your shop like most of us do. Funny how Space,Time and Money always find a way to be "utilized" by Racers! Nice job.

Liked: 11

Is it still this clean???
    HA!
    No, as DT pointed out, it is cram-packed full of stuff... wish it was 2x as big.

It went from the above to this...

then...

and now its got even more stuff in it. Time for a garage sale!
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

I know one guy who hangs his race car from the ceiling in the winter so he can get his "good" car inside.

Thread Information