Liked: 79

I also posted this on the 1600 website:

Hate to bring this up, but does anybody have any type of disability insurance in case you are injured and cannot work? If so, please indicate where you purchased it from?

Wishing everyone a safe & happy Thanksgiving.

Liked: 68

AFLAC! Can be purchased from any duck.

EG

Liked: 225

I'm posting this for the individual who may be contemplating getting behind the wheel. For those of us already involved, it may be academic.

I actually planned ahead and purchased disability insurance (with an option to increase the coverage each year) BEFORE I applied for my novice permit. Apparently, there is a list that is checked to see if you are completely truthful on your application. I was able to state truthfully that I did not race cars, even though my intention was to do so in the future. I even asked the agent about it, and he said to answer the question truthfully, which at the time was, "No". Of course, I didn't apply for my Novice permit until I had the policy.

On a positive note, my life insurance agent told me that given my choice of hobbies, I could now take up stunt-plane flying, skydiving, and javelin catching at no added annual insurance cost...

Liked: 0

Bob,

I obtained my disability coverage through Mass. Mutual Life, and my life insurance policy through Northwestern Mutual Life Ins. Co.

Had to shop around and eventually use different agents to write the policies. After filling out the questionaire asking about the type of racing, speeds involved, wheel to wheel vs. timed events, etc, I guess Northwest figured I was most likely to just be injured( ) and would give me life ins, while Mass Mutual figured it was a better bet all us racers were more likey to be kilt ( [img]graemlins/skull.gif[/img] ) and would give me the disability ins.

I've had this ins. for about 10 years now, so the game may have changed a little, but these companies might give you a good place to start. Good luck!

Dave

Contributing Member
    Liked: 109

EG and others,

I assume there must be different types of Aflac...I have health ins offered by my employer and Aflac (Health, disability, and cancer ins). But they do not payout for any extreeme sports. (at least for my coverage.) Is this a special option?

Corky

Liked: 0

I have Northwestern for life and disability because none of the ducks in my neighborhood sold insurance.

The life insurance policy is more of an investment vehicle and I purchased it first. I purchased the disability later. I think both were prior to getting an SCCA license.

My agent is a friend and I've asked 'off the record' if a racing incident would be covered. His response was that it would because it was not a discloseable item when we applied for the coverages and that because there was no prize money that it did not change my stated occupation.

I have been happy with Northwestern (primarily because our investments have done very well).

Jeff

Thread Information