Liked: 553

Default Roebling Rd July Double Nat'l

I heard via phone that Brandon Dixon seems to be having a successful weekend. He won Saturday's race and has gone a little faster in this morning's qualifying. Heard he had a shift cable break but hopefully repairable before today's race. He's the only FB car. Lap times in the 1:04's (pretty fast).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 702

Results:

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showru...163&perclass=1

Brandon and Wren seem to be getting the Citation sorted.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default NICE!

Yeah, 1:04's is ripping there.
    Good on you guys.
    Was it nasty hot or just miserably hot?
    GC

Contributing Member Brandon Dixon's Avatar
    Liked: 127

Default Good weekend for sorting the car

Riding home in the truck at the moment.

This weekend at Roebling went well for us. There were no other FB cars, so it was just a long test. But, sessions on track are exactly what we need right now.

The engine ran flawlessly all weekend and the temps and pressures look great. The water temp ran 195 both races with ambient temps above 95 for sure. The oil peaked at 250 before the cooler and the pressure never dropped below 40psi.

All of the above good news means that we got to concentrate on making the car handle and the driver better. We are still making fairly coarse adjustments, but things are getting much better. We moved the rear suspension geometry on both Friday night and Saturday night with what I think are good results.

In this afternoon's race, I was happy to just better Jordan Taylors track record from back in March. I don't think that the track was all that fast this afternoon, but I got a 1:05.5 in. There was a bunch of debris from a DSR shedding bodywork and I got concerned about having a flat and decided to come in early.

I've also got to get a better push-pull cable source....

Brandon

Liked: 126

Way to go Brandon.

Make a shift linkage and dump those cables.

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Brandon,

If you can not route it away from the heat source then you can use Jon Staudacher's trick.

Wrap the cable in loosely crinkled aluminum foil about 2 inches thick. Crude but I is the best heat shield that we have found. If you get stuck during weekend without a spare, splint it with aluminum and hose clamps and go to the concession and get some foil - the kind that they wrap hotdogs in - and go racing.

Laugh - but it works

PS I agree that linkages are bombproof if you can route them.

BTW if you find a good high temp cable let us know.

Liked: 0

A solid steel linkage will also improve the "feel". After multiple failures that was my solution.

Hasty Horn

Liked: 151

Coop- it was nasty, miserably hot, high 90's all week. It was worth it, but it still sucked. This morning didn't completely suck and we were hoping that would hold for the race, but no luck. Everyone was slow. I don't think we can find a worse environment than Savannah in July, so it was good to see the car not fighting oil temp problems.

Mike- thanks for the advice, we failed one from heat this weekend (insulation unfortunately holds heat in as well), and then one broke in the cockpit, away from any heat source, just because it was a POS. Kyle was able to resurrect the melted one and it was good enough to get Brandon on the track, but he was faster when he had some confidence in the shifter.

Overall- a good weekend. The car is teething some still, but the problems are getting smaller and it is letting Brandon get faster in the car now. I expect that someone will take a couple of seconds off of that lap record in March.

Liked: 0

the cable that west uses on the cable bump shiifter is a very high grade cable.the same one used on the current atlantic car.cant remember the brand but if you where to call west you could order one from them.they are around 120.00$ depending on how long it is.they also have no slop in them.never had a cable fail.they can also take a tighter bend without binding.

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Another vote for solid linkage (push/pull tubes). My shift handle feels just as solid as shifting a bike engine with your hand on the foot shifter lever.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 126

My shift handle feels just as solid as shifting a bike engine with your hand on the foot shifter lever.

Mine too.

Thread Information