Thread: FGB Issues...

Liked: 0

Default FGB Issues...

Going through the Hewland gearbox on the current project. It is a 5 speed FGB. The reverse spigot, once the locking bolt is removed has about 0.010 play all around. Additionally the reverse idler gear as well as the 1st/reverse gear and the reverse gear on the mainshaft are a little worn.

The question is...can the opening for the reverse spigot be opened up and a collar made to replace and recenter the spigot be made, and if so will it be a reliable repair, or should I just go ahead and send it all to Taylor Race Engineering to be recased.

Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Scott B

Liked: 79

Scott

I'm sure a recase is not required, I have fixed a few sloppy reverse idler spigots here before.

Give me a call to discuss.

Lee Williams

Williams Racing Developments
    858 220 0927
    www.willrace.com
    lee@willrace.com
    Williams Racing Developments Inc
    704 658 0940 www.willrace.com

WE HAVE MOVED...... 503 Performance Road, Mooresville, NC, 28115

Hi Lee,

Thank you for the follow up. I will contact you next week to see what can be done.

Scott

Liked: 1868

Yes, the hole can be bored and sleeved - I used to do that for a lot of the old Indy Lites boxes.

Default Long time no see.

Scott,

Have not seen you guys out in a while. Any idea when you are going to get that beast running? I can't wait to see it.

The Crossle is running great. I had a good run last outing at Laguna.

Hi Bill,

Good to hear your racing is going well. I ran a number of races with Calclub the first half of the year in several diffferent classes (added to the collection of flags on the shop wall). I am ahead enough races to keep my license current through next year to allow for the rebuild of the March. Quite a number of issues and surprises with the car. Currently redoing the roll over structure. I am having to build and modify it to meet SCCA GCR. A bit of a fuss, but should be able to send the Homologation packet forward at the end of the week. Engine parts have been difficult to locate for the Buick Stage II, and very pricey. Even if located, people do not want to sell them. And there are things like the air starter.... Who in the world came up with that? Hoping to be out for a test day end of this year, and if all goes well (yeah, right) race late spring...

See you at the track..

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
    Hi Bill,

Good to hear your racing is going well. I ran a number of races with Calclub the first half of the year in several diffferent classes (added to the collection of flags on the shop wall). I am ahead enough races to keep my license current through next year to allow for the rebuild of the March. Quite a number of issues and surprises with the car. Currently redoing the roll over structure. I am having to build and modify it to meet SCCA GCR. A bit of a fuss, but should be able to send the Homologation packet forward at the end of the week. Engine parts have been difficult to locate for the Buick Stage II, and very pricey. Even if located, people do not want to sell them. And there are things like the air starter.... Who in the world came up with that? Hoping to be out for a test day end of this year, and if all goes well (yeah, right) race late spring...

See you at the track..

Scott
    Scott,

Were you running the Ralt down in the southland?

Air Starter, man, I can barely manage getting belted in...

Hope to see you out there soon.

Bill

Bill,

Yes, did several regional and national races with the Ralt. Several months ago I sold it to a friend of mine, who due to health reasons, can no longer race with SCCA. He is going to race the car with one of the west coast vintage series.

As for the starter....I found a Tilton electric that had been designed for NASCAR. It has an offset gear reduction that I can mount to the Buick block on the March. I made a new roll over structure that has all the bracing SCCA requires, and made it all fit inside the monocoque. Essentially a tube frame within the tub, tied into the tub at all of the strong points in the tub. Sent the Homolgation packet to SCCA Club Racing today. Hopefully not too much of fuss to comply with the GCR.

See you at the track.

Scott

Default Jump to light speed...

Scott, when you have everything gathered up and decide on a test day, let me know. I would love to come out and watch at a minimum. Ideally, I will have a car to drive and would love to come out onto the straight behind you and watch how fast you get really small.

PS - Your friend got a really nice car in that Ralt.

Thread Information