Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Contributing Member
    Liked: 481

Quote Originally Posted by budawe View Post
    Driving schools used to stress racecraft but now, in an attempt to compete with professional schools, spend too much time teaching speed skills. More flag routines, and passing excercises should be part of the program.
    I instruct at Lime Rock for the SCCA driver's school. This year we had FV, FF, FB and FA out at the same time. We ride the students hard and we pound every bit of racecraft safety into their heads. Come the regional the next day, I know the students are the ones looking at the flag stations and checking their mirrors.

When I ran in the Skip Barber Series, many many years ago, we had morning driver's meeting that reviewed those topics as well as many track specific items.

I don't know where it gets lost. A project I will work on soon for the FV drivers is a guide so that if you go to a new track there will be no surprises. This will include corner stations, potential track problems, as well as anything else that I can think will make the racing safer and more enjoyable.

ChrisZ

Liked: 309

The year-end numbers are posted: 2009 National Participation
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 1417

Regional numbers, too...

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    that's my favorite map whenever these discussions come up! I lived in Los Angeles for eight years, so I know that Californians think the world revolves around them, but the fact is that despite all the people who live there, it's REALLY far away from where MOST of the people live in the US.

35 million live in Cal now. Projections for 50 in the next 20 years. California, even with the awful economy here (first to face the down turn and last to recover ), is still the 8th largest economy in the WORLD. 40 some percent of all of the imports into the USA come through the ports of Long Beach and LA alone. SCCA has abandonded us, in the runoffs issue not the reverse.

Cal Club will host the first of the Western Regional Championships in the fall of 2010 and will share this event with other Western Regions. Open wheel, sedans, and SR will all be provided opportunity to compete against the best regional racers in the West.

I think your right, we do think the world revolves around us (by the way, folks in the twin cities, Phillie, NY and everywhere else have the same feeling about their place in the world), but it is important not to dismiss the importance of the 8th largest economy in the world and 35 million people. Start adding in the good folks in AZ, NV, Utah, Colorado Washington, Or. NM and we represent a very, very big area, and a very powerful economic engine - its a shame SCCA does not recognize and react more positively to this community. There are more than a few of my fellow racers here who think it is long past time for change from SCCA or change here. I do not share that view but it is gaining traction.

Steve Staveley
    FF 59
    Cal Club RE Anaheim Ca.

Liked: 2

Is Cal Club reviving the old PCRRC that was run in the SF Region?

Default Western Regional Championships

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Is Cal Club reviving the old PCRRC that was run in the SF Region?

Not really, but sort of. We design this to be a western regional championships - and have talked to Az, Colorado, Or and Washington as well as SF. Our goal here is to move this around. So while the first (and maybe the first two years) will be at BRP (depending upon the economic viability of the event) the next one should go to Az at PIR in Dec. The next at Portland in late Sept. Next Laguna Seca in mid Oct. so it moves around the West and it needs to move in date a little bit too so that we take advantage of the great tracks and weather conditions that are most suitable. That is NOT a schedule, just an example of the idea. It might well be that it will make the most sense to use Laguna next, or Portland or PIR - but you get the idea.

We want each region who hosts to use a normal date and track to take advantage of the wonderful diversity in the west. I would hope that we would use Miller, and the new Colorado track too and that those regions would make some money in hosting the event.

Thats the idea and while Cal Club started it (with the help of Az and SD) we do not see it as our event - we just get it going so it can build and benefit us all long term as racers and as regions.

Steve Staveley Cal Club RE FF 59

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by stevestaveley View Post
    Not really, but sort of. We design this to be a western regional championships - and have talked to Az, Colorado, Or and Washington as well as SF. Our goal here is to move this around.

The next at Portland in late Sept. Next Laguna Seca in mid Oct. so it moves around the West and it needs to move in date a little bit too so that we take advantage of the great tracks and weather conditions that are most suitable.

We want each region who hosts to use a normal date and track to take advantage of the wonderful diversity in the west.

Thats the idea and while Cal Club started it (with the help of Az and SD) we do not see it as our event - we just get it going so it can build and benefit us all long term as racers and as regions.

Steve Staveley Cal Club RE FF 59
    GREAT Move Cal Club!

With the usual caveat of 'depending upon the economy' this could be something that would make us interested in running SCCA !

Lest you forget, remember Pacific Raceway and the new Oregon Raceway Park (ORP) in your long term planning ORP may just be more fun then Portland but without the history as yet.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    ORP may just be more fun then Portland but without the history as yet.
    Is SCCA running at ORP?
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

No races there on the tentative GLDIV 2010 schedule.

Rumor has it that the pit lane will be redone to allow 4 wide grag races ala the newest strip IIRC at Lowes Motor speedway.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Errr, NOT O'Reilly Raceway Park

Great, now in addition to the 2 Rd A's and the 2 PIR's we have 2 ORP's.
    Did I miss any others?

GC

Default Western REgional Championships

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    GREAT Move Cal Club!

With the usual caveat of 'depending upon the economy' this could be something that would make us interested in running SCCA !

Lest you forget, remember Pacific Raceway and the new Oregon Raceway Park (ORP) in your long term planning ORP may just be more fun then Portland but without the history as yet.

Our thinking of this (Cal Club and So Pac Partners only) is that each region taking on the Championships should select the track that makes the most operational and exciting racing sense to the region hosting. We just assumed that Laguna would be where SFR would go but they could use T hill if they desired to host. Az - PIR and the like. Not knowing all the tracks, costs, facilities it really needs to be a decision of the hosting region.

Steve Staveley RE Cal Club FF 59

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information