Liked: 0

Default Toyota 4age engine

Hi there, anyone have any parts to sell (I LIve in Huntington Beach ca.) that will work for the 85-87 4age engine that the World Sports Racer I have, uses. Mostly the long block but also the underbucket shim lifters etc. In fact the head too. I'd like to raise the redline safely to 8500 and the hp to 175 at least as these cars only came with 157 hp ( with the webers). I need a spare motor but am having a hard time finding a reasonably priced source for parts. I can build the motor but I need parts. email please to Bob at hartcliffebob@yahoo,com

Liked: 309

Bob, any 16v 4age will work for your application, and will bolt right in. You do not need an 85-87 specific block. The stock bottom end is good for at least 8500 rpm with a good polish and balance job, and ARP rod bolts. Search craigslist.com and ebay for lots of engines, or google on 'toyota engine importers' for more sources.

Web Camshafts sells a variety of cam grinds and the shim-under-bucket kit. Your hp target is easily reached with mostly stock head components and a mild street-porting job. Talk to Web for specific recommendations.

Do a google search for 'toyota 4age pistons' for lots of sources. I recommend 12:1 or better if you run race gas. The 4age really likes compression.

Have fun and good luck!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 281

Bob, be aware that many Atlantic blocks have the ears that mount the stock transmission cut off.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Being in SoCal with a WSR I am guessing you plan to race it with VARA. If not, please keep in mind that what modifications you make to the motor may decrease its' value to a relatively large regional market.

WSR specific VARA rules can be found here:

http://www.vararacing.com/RulebookNew.html#L

Toyota MR2 donor

Liked: 43

Have you tried car-part.com?

This web site is linked to most of the salvage yards in the country.

Thanks for the tips lads. The car is VARA spec, I got it from Brent Moorehouse and I went through it. I just want to put an engine together as a spare with a couple of my own touches. I like RPM's and the security of a good crank. I hav'nt ran VARA yet but I do track daze every month. Trouble with VARA is the FA's lap you after 5 or 6 laps so for me the fun would end there and the worry would start...where's the next guy gonna stuff me. Why can't we get a bunch of WSR's at willow on a friday test day......much better deal and we can race all day. Seems like there's only 2 or 3 WSR's out there any more....I did take a good pic at Fontana a year or so ago.........Thanks again everyone.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1487

No worries about being "stuffed" in VARA. We've had a few FF incidents as the front of that grid got more competitive with each other, but the wings and slicks group is very careful and mindful of the speed differentials. We had one incident in '07 of an FA hitting a slower car, and he later admitted to just picking the wrong spot to make the pass.

The only issues I've ever had in running with the WSRs is that the most modified of that group have a lot more horsepower and torque than advertised. In a drag race from the same apex speed it takes a good long straight and use of the draft to get by one in an FC, or else a really good run off the corner. The WSR tires also seem to get hot faster, probably due to the weight and the fact that the tires aren't out in the breeze. It would help if I were faster

The past couple of years has been tough on our run group. We've had a couple of guys move to other areas of the country, work conflicts (that's taken out three of us this year and last), the usual economy issues, but the WSR guys were doing pretty good. From 2005-008 they had six to ten cars per event.

Default 4AGE Parts

Bob, I live in Huntington Beach also and have a few spares that I can help you out with. 7-rib block, stock crank, stock head etc. Email me at weldonmu@aol.com

Weldon

Default 4AGE PARTS

Bob,

I have a ton of 4AGE parts including but not limited to: fully machined 7 rib block; small port head with cams, buckets, and springs; crankshaft, pulleys, cam covers, big port head, oil pumps, etcetera.

We use the 4AGE for off-road racing and had great luck on this board sourcing goodies. Just wanted to offer help if needed. Give me a call at 619-258-7223 or e-mail me mike@racerxms.com.

I would love to see this stuff go to a good home!

Best regards,
    Mike Cohen
    Michael L. Cohen
    V8 Road West
    Series Director

Thread Information