Thread: CFF Fuel

Contributing Member Rodney Jessen's Avatar
    Liked: 0

Default CFF Fuel

Has anyone given any thought to limiting the fuel in CFF to AV Gas. The spirit of CFF is to race as cheap as possible I.E. the tire rule. It would be a drag to spend $45 per gallon just to run at the front. With equal tires and fuel the class could have close racing at the lowest possible price.

Liked: 492

Suggest Av gas or track fuel. We'll be on Av gas!
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Contributing Member trout roberts's Avatar

Is there a local AvGas source?
    Trout <º{{{><

Trout
    Archie said there is an airport right by the track. There is a little history behind this @ the 35 in Vegas a certain west coat individual ran happy gas and walked away. Gabe who was behind him the whole race had video and it was clear he would not have been in that position without fuel. I know we all do this for fun and having to spring an extra $500 for fuel to have parity makes no sense.

www.outtoday.com

Liked: 157

I have no issue with mandating the fuel source as long as it is easily available. In Canada we just used stuff right out of the local gas station, and I could even live with that. I know, I know, the street gas has chemicals in it so maybe settle for AV gas as it not likely to ruin fuel cell foam etc

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Rule creation

Having spent too much time as a steward, one of the most important things is to NOT pass rules that you can't enforce! Therefore, (1) how would you check to confirm it is avgas? (2) Would you limit which avgas? (3) what equipment would be required to check/confirm? (4) how much training would be required for operators?

I spend an inordinate amount of time listening to people bitch abour too many rules or too much enforcement, so be careful what you wish for! I personally see absolutely no benefit in such a rule, yet plenty of problems!

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Enforcement was exactly what my first reaction was to the request as well.

In theory it would be great IF everyone used inexpensive, consistent, high-quality fuel. However, even if you supply it at the track how do you KNOW everyone is using the same thing? What tests? What range is going to be allowed with tested samples?

Too bad it wouldn't be feasible to have everybody bring 15 gallons of whatever to the track, dump it into a big fuel rig. Arrive to the pre-grid with an empty cell and have your cell filled up to whatever level you wish and "sealed". Whenever you need more fuel throughout the weekend-the fuel tech guys cuts the seal, fills it up from the kitty and seals it again. Anybody with an unsealed fuel cell at anytime during the weekend is DQ'd. As I said, too bad it wouldn't be feasible to administer and seal the fuel system (cell, fuel line, fuel pump, fuel filter, carb top, etc)

Banned
    Liked: 1116

As long as I'm listening to myself type. Everyone brings a 5 gallon jug of whatever to pre-grid. A coin toss. Heads everyone dumps in their own fuel. Tails--pull a grid number out of a hat---that's whose jug you use. Gotta have a 50-50 chance you may use your own---just so some knucklehead doesn't show up with watered down diesel.

Liked: 8

Does anyone have dyno charts to show the differences between all these go-fast fuels?

I've read many a thread here that says to run av-gas, from the builder... what gives?
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Default AV Gas is soooooooooo obvious

We run it at home the stewards have a simple test kit. From its smell running or in the can to its color. Its soooo obvious. Even if someone would try to hedge or mix to gain an edge it would not be the extra 8 HP on the bottom end that happy gas can give.
    Either way I am looking forward to the event in this current economy I was hopping we could have our fun as economical as possible.
    Last edited by Rodney Jessen; 06.02.09 at 2:07 AM.

I was merely asking about availability. I don't have any interest in creating a rule to limit the choices. As always, I will be racing for one position ahead of last place, so I just want something that will insure reliability. My engine is jetted for AvGas and that's what Jay says to run so you can bet that's what'll be in my tank.

For me this restricted regional is a fun event. I know that there are bragging rights to be had but by the time I cross the finish line all the scraps will have been long gone but I will have more fun than most, if not all. LOL
    Trout <º{{{><

Liked: 2

Default What about me??

"As always, I will be racing for one position ahead of last place, "

Hey Trout,
    What makes you think you can stay ahead of me?
    Mike

Liked: 201

I had proposed something similar a few months ago but for track gas and avgas. Basically nothing exotic. I know I will be running track gas. I would say the majority (wishful thinking, all of us) want to keep out the exotics but I really don't see it being anything other than a gentlemans agreement.

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by Quickshoe View Post
    As long as I'm listening to myself type. Everyone brings a 5 gallon jug of whatever to pre-grid. A coin toss. Heads everyone dumps in their own fuel. Tails--pull a grid number out of a hat---that's whose jug you use. Gotta have a 50-50 chance you may use your own---just so some knucklehead doesn't show up with watered down diesel.
    I stopped by a local kart road racing track a few years ago & all the racers were required to bring a gallon of gas & pour it in a big gas drum. Then everyone had to use the gas from the drum. I guess that would even it all out.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Mike

That's why they call it "RACING"!! LOL
    Trout <º{{{><

Liked: 1

Default Makes sense to me

Quote Originally Posted by trout roberts View Post
    I was merely asking about availability. I don't have any interest in creating a rule to limit the choices. As always, I will be racing for one position ahead of last place, so I just want something that will insure reliability. My engine is jetted for AvGas and that's what Jay says to run so you can bet that's what'll be in my tank.

For me this restricted regional is a fun event. I know that there are bragging rights to be had but by the time I cross the finish line all the scraps will have been long gone but I will have more fun than most, if not all. LOL

Exactly. Av gas makes sense and if everyone agrees, that is good enough for me.

Default fuel

We prefer to run Av gas, cheaper, more consistent (FAA rules), redily available, more power(so I'm told), thats what we will be bringing, unless told not to.

Thread Information