Liked: 51

Default Phoenix at Seattle Double National

The Phoenix crew is headed for Seattle this weekend. Should be a good F1000 turnout with four cars pre registerd.

Kyle Oberndorf: Stohr
    Rod Rice: Stohr
    Dave Palmer: Stohr
    Mark Jaremko: Phoenix

mj

Liked: 553

Hmm. Three against one. Odds are stacked against you, Mark. :-)
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 51

Default odds..........

Yea, I'm definitly out numberd, not quite sure on my odds yet, I'll keep you posted...

mj

Liked: 0

Odds always depend on how unsecured you leave your car at night. Airboxes can easily be filled with shaving creme
    John Stecher - Rochester Minnesota
    http://twitter.com/johnstecher - Follow me on Twitter
    http://www.trackpedia.net/blogs/john/ - My Blog
    http://www.trackpedia.com - The world's premier race track reference

Liked: 210

Should be a good race.

F1000's in Group 1 (as of now) has 17 entry's which is nothing on Pacific Raceway. Except for one critical area on the track, that means race traffic shouldn't be much of an issue.

Somebody needs to make a late entry in FC for 2nd place on the podium ... shucks same with FA.. shucks again. GOOD local FA driver in a Reynard 93H. Might mix it up with the F1000's

UNREAL... no Stohr DSR's??? Gonna be a dash for the cash between Bob Fox's SQUIRT and Thomas Hamilton in an AMAC. Old time duel in D/SR!

Looks like 80 National entry's as of now and 49 for the Regionals. WHOOPY! That should be enough entry funds so we'll have a race next year!
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Although it's 3 to 1, my bet is MJ and Phoenix prevails and brings home the victory. Experience and a great racing machine, will undoubtly set the pace and bring home the victory.

The Phoenix is one great car, that so many potential owners have overlooked.

It will be interesting to see what the end result is after a great racing weekend.

This one may be more fun to watch than the Indy 500.

Looks like Stohr vs. Phoenix........with Phoenix the underdog and long shot.....should be one hell of a race.

Looking forward to getting the results, and hopefully some great photos for the F1000 owners/drivers photo gallery.

Wishing the best to MJ ....... Dustin and the crew.

Of course as a Phoenix F1000 owner I have to be biased.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

anyone have any news from the test day??

Friday before the double national here is not an SCCA sanctioned T&T day. Just a lapping day run by the track so I didn't go.

Heading there about 6:30 AM

Group 1's first practice session is at 1 o'clock tomorrow and a qual run at 3:15.

Second qual. on Sunday morning 9:50.
    First Group 1 race is Sunday afternoon at 2:15.

2nd National qual and race will be on Monday.
    Last edited by rickb99; 05.23.09 at 12:46 AM.

Saw the Phoenix rolling out of its trailer y'day at PR. While puttering around the paddock, also saw what appeared to more that a few FB's/F1000's.
    The weather gods are smiling on us mossbacks this weekend!
    Ken
    Ken

Saturday Practice and Qual session 1:

PHOENIX (1):

Mark Jaremko 1:20.108
    Called for noise during practice but got it fixed for qual.)

NOTE:
    NEW unofficial lap record. Previous held by Oberndorf at 1:20.5 (in a race)

NOTE:
    Mark goobered left side splitter on apex cone in high speed Turn 10 during qual run. Looked like it was minor and fixable.

STOHRS (4):

Larry Vollum - No time
    Ran all sessions but no time.... Blew sound at 106 dB even in the last qual.

NOTE:
    Didn't have my stop watch out. But he looked like he was making good time. Stupid me should have asked T&S what he was doing.

NOTE:
    Vollum kerboinked the bottom of his car with an FC center lock wheel nut at high speed. Don't think it hurt the car but sure sent the nut flying! The FC did a medium speed 'dance' but avoided contact with anything and was out later.

Yellow - car disabled in racing line
    Surface - Wheel nut on track before the incident
    Black - All cars to hot pit
    White - Emergancy vehicle ahead
    Use toes to push com. button

Needed a 5 handed turn worker for that one.

Kyle Oberndorf - No time didn't go out
    Working on car. I think he installed a new oil cooler. Decided the 15 min. qual. session wasn't worth the effort with another one in the morning. ALL NEW body work updated to current design on his existing chassis. Sweeeet!

Rob Rice - no time
    Came down to pregrid for the qual run and decided his belts were installed incorrectly after morning work on the car. Went back to paddock.

Dave Palmer - no time
    No time. 99% sure he's here but never saw him out.

P.S.
    Tighten them wheel nuts and pack them mufflers. Should be good tomorrow. 2ns Qual session and race 1.

P.P.S
    The 1:20.108 is about 4 seconds slower then Jaremko's D/SR time (As I recall). But there's plenty of laps left.

Se7en:
    "putter" down to Turn 10 tomorrow and say hello!
    Last edited by rickb99; 05.24.09 at 9:09 AM.

Liked: 706

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    Kyle Oberndorf - No time didn't go out
    Working on car. I think he installed a new oil cooler. ALL NEW body work updated to current design on his existing chassis. Sweeeet!
    Rick, I hope you have a camera. I'm anxious to see Kyle's new bodywork and don't want to wait until the June Sprints.

Great update!
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Great job!!!!!...Team Phoenix Race Works

Looking forward to getting Sunday's info.

Hopefully someone will get some good photos of the F1000's.

Thanks for the update......rickb99
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Default SEATTLE DOUBLE 1st RACE RESULTS

Not a pretty one..

Here's the outcome.

1. Rod Rice (Stohr)
    2. Larry Vollum (Stohr)
    3. Mark Jaremko (Phoenix)
    4. Dave Palmer (Stohr) - classified 14th
    5. Kyle Oberndorf (Stohr) fastest race lap - DNF

NARRATIVE:

Fast qualifier for the race was Blackwell in his FA. Race got off to a clean good start with Jaremko quickly jumping Blackwell and Oberndorf followed close behind. Three laps in it was apparent the Obernorf was closing the gap slowly with Oberndorf taking the fast lap of the race at 1:20.637 compared to Jaremko's 1:20.911

On lap 4, Taylor Archer's FC ventilated its almost new Quicksilver engine on the high speed down hill entry to T-3A. Serious spin that was called initially as an alert but downgraded about 8 seconds later. Big oil clean up and getting Taylor's car moved brought out the double yellow.

After communications from Taylor's deal had quieted down, sound called Jaremko for several 106 dB's. Next lap Jaremko went in to the pits as the pack took the green. Only took maybe 45 seconds and Jaremko reentered sounding much quieter and started the pursuit.

Two laps later, Obernorf had a fire in the engine compartment and got into the pits quickly. Fire extinguished quickly. Irony of irony's, the fire was a piece of heat shield on fire that burned through a sensor wire and his dash went dark. Thus the quick pit.

Rice and Vollum were running comfortably if not a bit back from Blackwell with Palmer slightly behind them. Jaremko hae not caught up to the back markers yet.

That's when it happened on lap 15. Dave Palmer, exiting Turn 9 took a very hard hit to the inside wall doing much, much damage to the Stohr. Driver OKAY but it was a bad one bringing out the double yellow once again.

After several more laps under double yellow and needing to move equipment around to take care of Palmers car, the race was checkered 8 miles short. Had it gone green the order wouldn't have changed in FB. And, Blackwell took 1st overall which wouldn't have changed.

NOTE:
    I didn't see the Palmer incident as I was about 200 yards away. However, after things were somewhat 'normal', control asked the turn station to .... "Write up what you saw." As the entire race control staff is looking down on that exact spot and don't normally ask for written reports for single car incidents (such as happened in the next race damaging an FC), I suspect another car may have been involved in some way.

Tomorrow:
    Oberndorf will be back so ......

Oberndorf
    Jaremko
    Rice
    Vollum

To finish off a rough weekend.
    Last edited by rickb99; 05.24.09 at 10:50 PM.

i just got back from the track.it was one hell of a race.rod rice 1st.larry 2nd,i think mark got 3rd.mark got pulled in for sound.at the start it was mark on pole.with kyle in second.an fa in between them.larry in third.rod and dave where dicing on the start.dave came out ahead of rod in 4th.rod was stuck in with some mazdas.fell back aways.mark and kyle ran 1 and 2 for the first 4 or 5 laps.running within a few seconds.then kyle pitted in due to a small electrical problem.an fc car blew oil down the hill into 2.pulled off and had a small fire.yellow came out 15 minutes into the race.pretty long yellow period.race restarted.mark was pulled in for sound.i think larry had the lead after the start.then the next time buy it was rod.dave.larry.rod and dave ran a few laps within a few seconds of eachother.then within a few minutes of the end another yellow came out.dave palmer hit the outside wall just after the kink onto the drag strip.car was in pretty bad shape.dave was fine.this is my atempt at a race report.i didnt take any pics of the new stohr being there new car.i thought it would be best they posted them if they wanted to.looked good though.mark did a 119.8 in q2 and i think kyle had a 120 flat.from what i can remember.

GOOD JOB KMT.. pretty close. I had the advantage of being on the radio. Are you going to be at the track tomorrow? We NEED WORKERS

GOOD JOB KMT.. pretty close. I had the advantage of being on the radio. Are you going to be at the track tomorrow? We NEED WORKERS
    no im from vancouver wa.i just went up for the day to watch the race.are you talking corner workers?i dont have an scca card at the time.if i had known i would have helped you guys out.hope toworrows race is a good one.

kevin

When you say new Stohr, were you talking about the new FA or is there a new FB?

Thanks.
    Ken

You can get a temporary membership to flag (volunteer for the SCCA to help THEM), if you're lucky they will try to charge you $15 for the honor as they did with me this morning. If you politely suggest that they should abstain from the Northwest kind quite so early in the morning they can be talked off the ledge and back into the realm of reason and sanity.

Four minor points:

1) Could've sworn Jaremko had the pole

2) Don't know what was said on the radio, but Taylor didn't spin; blew chunks about halfway up the hill and coasted gently down into the entrance to 3

3) Whatever the laptimes were, Jaremko had a significant lead coming out of 2 every time by before all the commotion started; Kyle would have had a hard time catching him and could only have done so if Mark had screwed up which quite frankly I have NEVER seen Mark do at Seattle; The race really should have belonged to Phoenix if for no other reason than Mark is superhuman and could lap the field in a Formula Schwinn if you put him up to it; would've been fun to watch the battle though if everything hadn't gone TU

4) The new Phoenix is a beautiful car, and the pictures I have seen online don't at all do it justice

Quote Originally Posted by jabro1000 View Post
    1) Could've sworn Jaremko had the pole
    I would have thought so too, Jeff. Ahhhhh, I know what I heard. the announcer gave Blackwell the pole because pole sitter always takes the left side, except Jaremko

2) Don't know what was said on the radio, but Taylor didn't spin; blew chunks about halfway up the hill and coasted gently down into the entrance to 3
    Hmmm, please be aware, it was Angus on the radio at T-3. You never know what you're going to hear but rest assured, it will easily lead to panic mode

3) Whatever the laptimes were, Jaremko had a significant lead coming out of 2 every time by before all the commotion started; Kyle would have had a hard time catching him and could only have done so if Mark had screwed up which quite frankly I have NEVER seen Mark do at Seattle; The race really should have belonged to Phoenix if for no other reason than Mark is superhuman and could lap the field in a Formula Schwinn if you put him up to it; would've been fun to watch the battle though if everything hadn't gone TU
    Agree with all of those comments concerning Jaremko's prowess. But he is in a new car and Oberndorf was surely pulling him and closing somewhere between 5A and around 8. We could discuss the potential outcome for several weeks We'll see what the outcome of, hopefully a complete race is tomorrow

4) The new Phoenix is a beautiful car, and the pictures I have seen online don't at all do it justice
    VERY TRUE!

Quote Originally Posted by VehDyn View Post
    When you say new Stohr, were you talking about the new FA or is there a new FB?

Thanks.

its kyles car with stohrs all new body on it

jabro,

good one(northwest kind)thanks for the info on that.i have never worked a corner before.looks like it would be fun.good view too.

Liked: 141

Jaremko was on pole.
    Oberndorf set fast lap.
    Rod Rice won FB.

Liked: 553

Interesting write-ups. Thanks, reporters.

I'd heard Stohr would be there with a "new F1000", Looking forward to pictures of it.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Interesting write-ups. Thanks, reporters.

I'd heard Stohr would be there with a "new F1000", Looking forward to pictures of it.
    Don't know nor have I heard anything about a "new car". Oberndorf has updated / new design BODY WORK on his original chassis.

Being old, I can say I'm 98% sure I saw George Dean in the paddock but do not remember seeing Lee there. I would think if there was an ALL NEW car within 50 miles of the track he'd be highly visible.

The most noticable difference in the body work (to my untrained eye) is a highly reduced air intake scoop and changes to the side ducting.

Jeff has a keener eye then I do and may be able to describe the changes in more detail. Okay, Okay, I'm working but I'll try for a couple of snap shots.

Don't know nor have I heard anything about a "new car". Oberndorf has updated / new design BODY WORK on his original chassis.

Look forward to pictures. I hope that we can update some body bits with the same chassis. Maybe Wayne will chime in.
    Ken

people are calling it the new stohr f1000 car.it is a full re body onto kyles old car.there is not much unchanged on the bodywork.new front wing.rear wing.new rear diffuser.all new air intake through the roll bar.

Whos got the pics!

Default Seattle Double 2nd RACE RESULTS

THE OUTCOME:

1. Mark Jaremko 1st in FB and O/A best lap 1:20.762

2. Larry Vollum - best lap 1:23.493

3. Rod Rice - best lap 1:26.179

4. Kyle Oberndorf ( not running at end 14th ) FASTEST racing lap 1:20.535

WHAT HAPPENED watching at T2 today:

Excellent clean start again. With Blackwell FA (2nd fast qualifier) being a real gentleman, 'ducked' out of the way through the T1 sweeper and let the FB's sort out what they wanted to do in the T2 braking zone. Out of 2 it was Jaremko with Oberndorf firmly affixed to his exhaust.

End of lap one they came blazing with afterburners full on through the T-1 (flat out) sweep. Looking down the track it appeared Oberndorf had an overlap but Jaremko was a nose ahead. On through 2 with Oberndorf dogging him. Vollum and Rice setttled into their own pace and Blackwell in the FA took up a 'comfortable' hole between the two leaders and the other 2 FB's. It was Jaremko and Oberndorf having a terrific duel for many laps with Kyle never farther behind Mark by more then maybe 40 or 50 feet.

Then the Turn 9 wall claimed its 3rd victim. One of the D/SR's lost the rear (looked like something broke) and hit the wall, DRIVER OKAY! Brought out a pace car and the pack closed up.

On about lap 14 (I think) we went back to green and the leaders took off. Two laps later, we saw Jaremko pull out his biggest lead of the race (maybe 150 yards or so). Next time around, Kyle pretty much coasted past the T2B station into the big downhill double hair pin and came to a stop near the T4 station. Race ended as above without further incident 2 laps later.

Oberndorf's Problem:
    I'll be technically wrong here cause I know NOTHING. Seems something came unglued from somthing allowing the fuel pump actuator relay ( is that right? ) to fall down on the exhaust and it was cooked. No fuel, no power.

Jaremko's event:
    Seems Mark bent a valve (I think) in the morning qualifier. George Dean had the head torn apart at lunch time and thanks to somebody having parts at the track, got it back together for the race.

P.S.
    Mark didn't even ask for a pre race hardship lap! Guess that shows confidence in George's engine work

P.P.S
    Do not under estimate what it took for Vollum to do a 1:23 or Rice's 1:26. This is one VERY demanding track that challenges any driver and has major areas of deteriorating surface conditions.

Blackwell was sorta on cruise to a win but his best time of 1:22.3 in the FA is certainly a FAST one here.

P.P.P.S
    Oberndorf is planning on the June Sprints and I think it's a simple guess to imagine Jaremko / Phoenix is too. DON'T miss seeing these two TOP NOTCH drivers running if you have a chance!

If I recall correctly, Oberndorf "lost" the June sprints in his FB last year because the rear wing was 0.00093 centimeters too wide. Which may be why he was sitting with the rule book just before this race and his mechanic with a tape measure going over the car

P.P.P.P.S.
    Had a chat with James Blackwell and his "crew" this morning. They were going to try and get some decent pictures of the new Stohr body work. It's a 'mean black' (not a gloss or a flat) color on Kyle's right now and glistens rather uniquely in the sun.

UPDATE on Dave Palmer and the T-9 wall yesterday:

Opinions are, the 'bump' in T-9 got him yesterday and/or car ahead may have disturbed the down force on the car. Amount of damage? Pretty much the entire front clip and less on the rear.
    Last edited by rickb99; 05.26.09 at 7:04 PM.

great report rick.thanks for posting it.i have to take note of your reports.much better job than mine.

i was thinking that bump in t9 may have got dave too.i raced a kart at this track in 03.i hit this bump and it threw the kart sideways at a pretty good speed.scary.well i knew where it was and avoided it from then on.

Liked: 309

Great write-up, Rick...thanks!

We tried to get there to give James some company in FA, but too many issues kept cropping up.

The hurryder you get, the behinder you fall...
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    The hurryder you get, the behinder you fall...
    Oh yes, we went through the hurryder and got the behinder a couple of months ago with the FC, Stan. Know exactly what you mean.

Yes, I saw you and Rennie here on the Forum Friday night and said to self.. oh, oh I'm guessing they aren't sitting in a Seattle motel with 2 computers on line reading the Forum. Knew something had happened.

Really sorry you didn't make it. Was looking forward to a chat.

Liked: 21

Default Phoenix Wins Another Race.

Read the Phoenix Race report here:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...624#post213624
    Last edited by Wright D; 05.26.09 at 2:44 AM. Reason: Added link
    Dustin Wright
    Phoenix Race Works L.L.C.
    www.phoenixraceworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Misterkris View Post
    Whos got the pics!
    I guess they want people to buy the car, or new body work for an existing one, without any info.

Although I don't have any pictures to show, I can say that the re-body, despit being different, is quite similar to the old body work, and is not going to elicit any "holy crap that is way different" type of responses. Still looks basically like the original Stohr body. Air scoop is much smaller; the snorkel dealies on the sidepods are gone with just a pair of airflow vents on each side; the nose and front wing are mildly different (my first impression was that the front looked a little more stocky, although the Stohr guys there said nay). I would say basically picture the original Stohr bodywork looking beefed up a tiny bit and not so much like a fragile toothpick. The finish on Kyle's car was a teeny teeny tad rough in spots, all black, and it was rumored that he was "working with them", so my guess is that it is something that is still in development, probably will be as Kyle continues with his season, and when they have gotten it to a level of which they approve, pictures will be a plenty, as well as opportunity to see it up close in your own garage for 50 or 60 large.

Thread Information