Liked: 79

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

I doubt that engine was ever in that car! The block looks like a late-model Ford modular. There is also a picture of a tailpipe that also looks like it came from a Mustang, I'm sure that doesn't fit a Crossle either. Looks like the seller stumbled on to a car and some misc. parts and doesn't really know what any of it is.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 39

Default FF 40th Candidate?

I saw that too, I bet it would really fly up the hill on the front straight at RA!

Liked: 1417

It's a storage unit lean sale. The seller has no idea what any of it is, and said, whatever is there, is what is in the sale.

Buy it, dump the aluminum Ford block and have a good base of parts for a really nice restoration. Too bad it's in California...

Contributing Member Bill Kincaid's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Actually there WAS a Crossle with a V8- an F5000 car. Scary.

Liked: 23

Looks like it was donated to a thrift shop.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Crossle's first V8 powered car was a one off 8F built in, and destroyed in, 1965, it had a 289 Ford.
    The second was numbered 10F and used some of the bits remaining from the 8F in 1966 and is here in the US and was under restoration in Mass a few years backd but I have lost track of it since.
    Then there was the 15F, of which several, at least 3, were built. Roger Barr, the East Coast Crossle importer in those days, 1968, raced one many times with a 305 Chevy.
    Roger ran Nationals and close FA/5000 races for a few seasons, no idea where that car is now. Roger had been a FF standout in the Northeast as well as a FV runner.

And no, I don't have all that useless information crowding out good stuff in my brain, I got it from a small book I bought in Northern Ireland in 1988 while there working for Skip Barber with Leslie Drysdale and Mondiale on the first generation Barber Saab cars.
    The book is titled 35 years of Winning, a pictorial history of the Crossle Car Company, by Alan Tyndall. Alan is intending to be at Elkhart for the 40th accompanying Arnie Black, the current owner of Crossle Cars. Alan is researching a new Crossle book.

Sometime in the mid-late '90's I bought the one off 28F Crossle FB car out of Roger Barrs shop. The car had been built in 1972, I think, for Dr Tom Mangan from Ohio. He ran it with a 1600cc Lotus Twincam as was usual then. I restored it , with a twincam, and ran a few historic races before selling it and subsequently losing track of where it lives now. Nice car, steel monocoque, 10 & 14" rims as was standard wear, nothing trick as far as aero or suspension, but then there was no trick aero or shocks then anyway.
    Every bit as good a car as the March, Chevron, Lola, Brabham of the day but Dr Tom was not going to win even Nationals much less pro races and as it was the only one ever built it never impressed.

I'll go quietly now.......

Liked: 2

It's got a little more toe-in than I would be comfortable with....

Liked: 309

I saw that listing on ebay this morning, but only read as far as "engine is missing heads...", and thought oh boy, this guy is right. He doesn't know anything about FFs. I didn't even look at the photos...
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Default FF with V8

You know, this could really re-energize the discussion of an alternate engine for FF.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Contributing Member

Default Looks like a bargain but isn't!

Looks like a parts car to me, because by the time you buy it and replace all the missing parts, plus get an engine for it, you could probably buy a complete running CFF that needs some TLC for less money.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 96

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Tebo View Post
    It's got a little more toe-in than I would be comfortable with....
    Although the toe-in is curious, I am more concerned about the screwdriver that holds the upper end of the left front shock in place! Is that factory spec?

For the right price it would be a fun project car.
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

If the Hewland is good it's worth $2k, + wheels, etc... If someone lived nearby & didn't have to pay shipping they could part it out. Never know what it will sell for though.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 17

If that alum block is in decent shape, it could fetch some serious $, too.
    Bob McCown
    Van Diemen RF81 #472 (2008-2013)
    Next ?
    2009 ARS CF
    "I barked twice." - Enzo (the dog)

Liked: 79

I found a great deal of humor in seeing that block posted with the car. The posting even mentions that it has a Ford tranny.

Liked: 141

Default f5000

The Crossle F5000 car that was on Ebay has been restored and is running in the northwest. The owner posts on Apex sometimes.

Liked: 953

I think it would be a shame to part it out. If we need better car counts, we need more cars on the grid.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    I think it would be a shame to part it out. If we need better car counts, we need more cars on the grid.
    The other viewpoint---parting this car out may help more than 1 FF stay on the grid. Not parting it out can only add one.

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Up to $4500 with 4 hours to go.

I think I know why the original engine is missing! The Tell-Tale red needle on the Tach. is stuck at 7800 RPM

Contributing Member

IMO, you'd have to be high on crack to pay that much for a clapped out roller with no history or logbook when there are complete running CFFs for sale here on Apex all the time for $8-10K.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 1417

That car will require a lot of money to be track ready, but the value of a Crossle 35F holds very well, and would be quite worth what you have into it when you are done. It's not a pile of junk—there is plenty to work with there. Though it is getting close to what I personally think a roller/project like that is worth, even with the aluminum V8 of unknown condition.

Really nice, complete 35Fs are still in the mid to high teens here on the forums.

Thread Information