Liked: 8

Default Easy trailer registration

Hi folks,

I recently bought a trailer from Indiana that is over 4,000lbs dry - which means in Ohio I have to title and register it, which involves (because its out of state) a physical VIN inspection by a license bureau rep (and not a law enforcement officer or similar, like Florida was).

Soooo... It was going to be a PITA to get the trailer to the BMV, then wait for them to come out, on a business day, and when I'm in a rush to get to a track..

I found this place by searching - http://www.staabagency.com/ - that registers trailers in Maine. Maine has very lax rules on residency and such, and this agency (or others, I used Staab from references on the SCCA forum) will do everything for you for a small fee.

Bottom line - I registered my trailer in Maine, for 5 years (you can do up to 10 I think), including a new title and processing - for $167. Ohio would have been that for 2 years, and, I didnt have to do anything except mail them a power of attorney and the title (which is very clear that they are only allowed to process the title, and do not own or have transfer ownership powers).

Hope that helps someone,

Mike
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Contributing Member Darren Brown's Avatar
    Liked: 20

Do they return the title after processing? Sounds like a pretty good deal on registration fees. Here in Texas my 24 foot is $90 a year.

Thanks
    Darren

Since I needed a new title in my name (never got one in Ohio) - I had them do mine in Maine.

If you already have a title in your name, you don't even have to send it to them I believe.. just a copy.

HTH,

Mike
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Liked: 0

Michigan now has permanent trailer tags. Don't remember the pricing, but it was something like $75 for a small light trailer to a couple hundred for the biggest. Not sure what it takes to register one if you are out of state either...

Contributing Member Darren Brown's Avatar
    Liked: 20

These are good options to look into before I pay another $90 for a year of registration on my trailer.

Thanks for all the good info

Darren

Banned
    Liked: 1116

OMG! Something's cheaper in CA! Here in CA trailer PTI tags are $10/year!! Vehicles...another story. Those of you CA residents who haven't received a recent renewal are in for a bit of a shock. 2006 GMC dually tags almost $800/year!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

Default careful

Maine may make it easy, but your home state might not like it.

Quote Originally Posted by mousecatcher View Post
    Maine may make it easy, but your home state might not like it.
    Oh, I am sure they do not.

But, I have a Florida license with my Ohio home address on it, 4 cars registered to a UPS store's PO Box # in Ohio, and insurance address completely separate. I probably have bigger issues if I get pulled over...

And, come to think of it - I've been using the expired (from 08) Indiana plate all year so far.. so Maine's gotta be better than nothing!
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Thread Information