Liked: 0

Default Celebrating the first Formula Ford event in the USA.

Celebrating the first Formula Ford event in the USA.

40 years ago the first Formula Ford race held in the USA was at Willow Springs sanctioned by California Sports Car Club.

Members of Formula Ford "The Series" are joining with California Sports Car Club for a special Formula Ford weekend honoring that historic event.

Where: Buttonwillow Raceway Park
    When: May 16, 17, 2009. (Practice available through the track office May 15th.)
    Who: All generations of Formula Fords invited.

Drivers from all over the Western US are expected. This will be a blast, not to be missed.

Additional information is available at www.calclub.com

For information regarding Formula Ford "The Series" 2009 contact: Richard Holladay email cabsbyrh@aol.com. or tel: (760) 715-1417

Liked: 69

Default Congratulations Winners

I wanted to give a huge Congratulations to VARA ford drivers for their excellent driving at the Cal Club 40th birhtday at Buttonwillow Raceway this weekend (5/16 & 17, 09).

Tim Cox was the Club Ford winner with a lap time of 2:04.8. Tim ran a flawless race leading every lap!

Bob Hatle took second place with a time of 2:04.9. It was a tight race between second and third but Bob held on to his lead with a great start from 8th to 4th by the first turn.

Also, Todd Strong took first for the Historic Formula Ford class. He dominated The FF group.

It was a great feeling watching the VARA drivers dominate the race!!

Congratulations Again and Great Driving,
    Kim Madrid
    FV1 291
    Kim Madrid

CF 291

Liked: 0

Default Congratulations to EVERYONE!!!

I think congratulations should be bestowed on all the competitors for exciting and clean races both Saturday and Sunday.

As this was only my second weekend in the car I had a blast and learned a lot. My own personal highlight was during Sunday's race, Bob Hatle and I were running close almost the whole way so it was great fun learning how to race against someone like Bob. Being a rookie it was interested seeing how an experienced racer like Bob made changes in line and pace to keep me at bay. On Sunday the top three CF's finished within 5 seconds of each other, but it was almost a 5 way race up front, with Les Phillips and Dan Cowdrey having unfortunate incidents and dropping out. With some fast and crafty drivers racing hard I was really surprised to have the fastest lap in CF at a 2.04.6 so that was really special for me.

Saturday was fun for me too, although it didn't quite turn out the way I wanted to as i was dealing with brake issues while running with Andy Paterson, Cox, Bryce Bannatyne and Cowdrey which forced me out of contention. Andy did well holding off Tim and I had a great view of the festivities between them, but a broken engine mount eventually caught Andy out and resulted in a spin. The Paterson crew discovered further engine problems in Andy's car Sunday morning and unfortunately Andy's brother Stewart also had engine problems and never got to come join the fun on Saturday or Sunday so I am looking forward to racing with them and learning more too.

Congratulations should also go to Saturday's winners: FF- 1st Paul Wittrock, 2nd John Barron, 3rd Ken Glasser. CF- 1st Dan Cowdrey, 2nd Andy Paterson, 3rd Bob Hatle. HFF- 1st Todd Strong, 2nd John Viggers, 3rd Samuel Simpson

Sunday's podiums: FF- 1st Paul Wittrock, 2nd Krista Botsford, 3rd Ken Glasser. CF- 1st Tim Cox, 2nd Bob Hatle, 3rd Mark Wilson. HFF- 1st Todd Strong, 2nd Samuel Simpson, 3rd John Viggers.

In my opinion the competition was only marred by one competitor being GROSSLY underweight for Saturday's race, a seemingly greedy wall exiting turn 16 which claimed a fair number of cars throughout the weekend, the Paterson's being sidelined with motor issues and the 100+ degree heat (I saw 109 in the shade on Sunday).

All in all it was a fun weekend for me, with great clean competition on the track with Hatle and Cowdrey, friendly people off the track and good food celebrating the 40th Birthday of our beloved Formula Fords.

Hope you all had a good time!
    Mark Wilson

Liked: 2

Default Button Willow Pics

It was great seeing all those FF's lined up and racing out there. And, it was geat seeing everyone again. Here are a few pics I managed to get before I felt like throwing the camera into the garlic fields. That 2000 Van Diemen was the ticket! Or was it the light blue ADF? Or was it the Lotus...or....
    Last edited by T644HU05; 05.19.09 at 3:54 PM. Reason: Picture change..
    Man will race anything. It's in his blood. His Soul. He must.

Kurtis C. Shirley MacLane FV (sold), Lola T644 (sold), Murray FK1 FST (sold), Vector MG-95FF (sold), PRS 82F (sold), Lola T340... AKA PRS82F

Liked: 146

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but here is a newsletter of the Australian equivelent a few weeks ago at Phillip Island, just south of Melbourne.

http://www.vhrr.com/newsletters/HFF_News_May_09.pdf

We had a grid of about 50.

Liked: 32

Default Australian

Quote Originally Posted by Hawke View Post
    I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but here is a newsletter of the Australian equivelent a few weeks ago at Phillip Island, just south of Melbourne.

http://www.vhrr.com/newsletters/HFF_News_May_09.pdf

We had a grid of about 50.
    Wow! That is impressive to say the least. Reminds me of the old days at Riverside in Calif.
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Thread Information