Liked: 273

Default Anyone tried Aluminum Tripod housings

Hey All
    Any of you tried or know someone that's tried the aluminum tripod housings? I'm considering machining a set of 7075 housings that have the Lobro 78mm BCD....Taylor doesn't make these but at one time they did make them all aluminum with no steel inserts.

I know they won't last long but I'm all about shaving lbs.

GH
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 1397

Give Richard Pare a call. The trick may be sruface treatment. We do shock bodies and had to do a lot of work on the finish and surface treatment.

Liked: 11

I used the Taylor housings which were great and MUCH lighter than VD stuff. I will say the replacable ss inserts are a must as even they get worn after several weekend (I replaced them once a year).

Not sure only aluminum would last very long...
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Thanks for the input....I'll let everyone know how this works out for me. I'm on a weight savings rampage, it's my new enemy. Gotta gain some HP back to keep up with Jaremko and Woodman.

GH
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 309

I don't mean to discourage you, Gary, but I once asked my engine builder if I should spend $3-grand on a super-light carbon clutch. He chewed on it for a moment before replying, "I think you would do better spending the money on fresh tires."

The moral of the story is...quality track time is far more important than having the latest go-fast part.

I'm not saying you don't want to shed weight off your car, but you might want to gain more track time against stout competition before throwing money at it.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

I don't get discouraged to easily..... I'm confused Stan, are you implying that Jaremko and Woodman aren't stout competition??

When you have a machine shop at your finger tips it's hard to resist throwing light parts at it. If it gets me down to rolling over the scales at 1,000 lbs. at the end of the race it's good for me.

GH
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by ghickman View Post
    I don't get discouraged to easily..... I'm confused Stan, are you implying that Jaremko and Woodman aren't stout competition??
    Don't be confused, Gary...I said 'MORE time against stout competition.' As one spends additional track time against stout opposition, it's amazing how much faster one becomes, even without go-fast goodies.

When you have a machine shop at your finger tips it's hard to resist throwing light parts at it. If it gets me down to rolling over the scales at 1,000 lbs. at the end of the race it's good for me.
    True, but that was not at all clear from your first post, where you talked about Taylor parts. That's what I was replying to.

G'night all!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 126

Why couldn't you use CV joints instead of tripods - make the CV housings out of aluminum with inner steel bushings and retain the steel cages and balls?

Exactly! Or figure out how to machine the housings to accept the ss inserts.

I would be quite worried your aluminum only housings wouldn't last 20 laps, and I'm not exactly sure what would happen when it destructs... could be nothing- axles just not spinning with the wheels, or the tripods get too hot- one breaks- locks up a wheel and you go into the wall.

If you decide to do it, run 2-3 laps, come back in and take it all apart to see how it's holding up.

How much are you overweight?
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default I've met Gary

and I'll not sit by while other's make fun of his weight!
    Gary is not overweight - he's just big boned is all.
    He's strugled all his life with this.
    Please show some compassion in the future, Apexspeeders.
    Thank You,
    GC

Liked: 1

Would aluminum have the necessary surface hardness for this type of application?

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    Thank You,
    GC

Har har.
    It's not too late to flame me on the FA thread....

the car... THE CAR!
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 254

I have run aluminum tripod housings with if I'm not mistaken was 6061. They will work but can be prone to increased wear if you have alot of axial movement inside the housing. Since you have the facilities I say build a set. Run them and visually inspect the wear after a few sessions. If they don't travel very far axially I think you should be alright. After the first run with aluminum housings we saw some significant wear at the edges of the housing, but were running high angles of misalignment. We never replaced them even though we had spares because once they reached a certain point the any wear increase was minimal. If we weren't running such highe misalignment they would probably would have lasted much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    Thank You,
    GC
    Thanks Glenn...nice to know someones got my back. Tony suggested I have both my legs amputated to save weight...then I'd become the first ampute FB driver. Then we'd make carbon fiber prosthesis (sp?) legs, but would the SCCA pass my physical.....hum

All tongue in cheek boys. I weigh 175lbs but when I designed the car I must have slipped a digit and designed it for a 125lb driver.

Hey Sean...can I still flame you on this thread?

GH
    Last edited by ghickman; 03.24.09 at 7:30 PM. Reason: just because
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 1868

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Ross View Post
    Would aluminum have the necessary surface hardness for this type of application?
    Depends on the alloy, any work-hardening processes you might employ (I'd try roll-burnishing the surfaces) and anti-friction treatments. 7075-T6 would be the minimum that should be used, and if you can find some 7068 of the right diameter (McMaster carries some 7068, but their largest dia is too small), you'll have a 50% greater strength than the 7075.

Even in that alloy, life would still be shorter than for a properly heat-treated steel.

Thread Information