Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Default Phoenix Int'l Regional Event

This weekend the Arizona Region SCCA is holding their 9th annual Children's Phoenix Hospital Charity event. As a regional racer and owner of a beautiful Phoenix F1000 it was a good day on track. The weather was warm at track time, about 88 degrees. The open wheel class was small with 6 cars registered and I being the only F1000 on the track. As usual the Phoenix F1000 of mine, ran flawlessly throughout the day. This is one incredible car and has been extremely reliable since delivered in Sept 2007.

While I consider myself to be a regional event racer, I was able to better my track times. When I first drove the Phoenix F1000 at Phoenix International for the first time in 2007 I drove it in 1:16 which is considered slow. Today during qualifying I bettered that time, with a 1:09. As with any car it takes time to know the car and get comfortable with it. Today I pushed the car just a little harder.

It was a fun time once again, and did not care where I finished. I finished the race with no spins or problems. So being the only F1000 on the track, naturally I recorded a first place finish.

While many owner/drivers are out to set track records, set record times that are just 10ths off records, and want bragging rights for high finishes, I am out on the track for the fun of it. I strongly feel that the F1000 is a great car class for just that, having lots of fun. I am very greatful to Phoenix Race Works and Dustin Wright for the great car they built and provided to me.

While many owners of these fine racing machines, want to be #1 at the end of the day, any one considering owning one of these racing machines should consider the F1000 class.

Before moving into the F1000 class I owned a 1993 Van Dieman FC. At one time I considered converting the older car. I am glad I didn't. I continously read about individuals here on ApexSpeed and some owners that have converted their cars, only to report problems with the build. I am very glad I choose to buy a newly constructed car by a quality build team. I did not waste any time and long nights in the garage. I have not wasted time and money finding problems and having to fix them. Buying new was the right decision and I have not had to spend any money in repairs or time in my garage after normal work hours. The bottom line is that in my case, it was the right decision to buy new, and I have no regrets. While the intial outlay was about $42,000, the time saved to enjoy the car was well worth the cost. I have now driven my Phoenix F1000 in 11 races, and many open track days at my local track of ArroyoSecoRaceway. Tomorrow will be the 12th race event. When I ordered the car I added the AIM dash. I have about 1100 miles on the car and about 42 hours on the engine as measured by the AIM computerized dash. The car continues to run flawlessly. After tomorrows event Dustin Wright will take the car to his shop to completely review the car and make any necessary adjustments as needed to bring the car back if needed to new conditon. I seriously doubt that I will have to incur any major expenses on Dustin's review.

So my bottom line and thoughts.......it was the best decision I made to buy new and make the Phoenix as my choice for an F1000. Anyone wanting to own an F1000 I highly recommend the Phoenix chassis built by Dustin Wright. Dustin Wright was at the track today to assist his customer any way he could. He is a fine young man who walks the extra mile for his customers. So I want to be a testimonial for Dustin and the Phoenix Team.

I suggest to buy new and enjoy the racing machine that is delivered to you. I have enjoyed this beautiful car over the last 18 months more than I ever could have imagined. So before you spend lots of time and money to convert, consider the purchase of a new F1000 and start enjoying the car immediately. I know that my car, when expertly maintained and not beaten to death will last for many years to come, and will continue to record more podium finishes and provide lots of entertainment and lots of fun. No matter where I take this car, and to whatever track I race it on, it always draws a crowd.
    Last edited by Richard Dziak; 03.22.09 at 12:21 AM.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Liked: 273

Default Congrats Richard

Richard
    Great job on finishing the race. Having 42 hours and 1100 miles on your car makes you and the car one of the Higher Time F1000's out there....a milestone to be proud of.

Your're right about Dustin...class act and good friend....dude lives and breaths F1000.

GH
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Sunday update......

Only 2 Formula race cars on the track for Sunday's Regional event. Since I was the first one on the grid, one of the stewards came down from the tower and asked "what was my pleasure". I told him to go out have fun, and finish enough laps to make it an official race. Then the other formula car showed up and it was determined we would run a 15 lap event instead of the scheduled 22 lap event. The Amsoil sponsored Phoenix F1K.07 once again ran flawlessly. As a regional event driver, (have National license for last 6 years) the Phoenix F1000 has recorded 11 wins in 12 events. The George Dean prepped 2006 Suzuki engine continues to run flawlessly also.

The car now goes back to Phoenix Race Works (Dustin Wright) for a complete review and analysis on the car. He will pull the car apart and go over every aspect of the car, installing a new chain and whatever parts would be necessary to bring the car back to new condition. Since this F1000 is one of the most run F1000's in the USA, he will determine how the car has held up, under racing conditions. As of this date and owning the car for 18 months, there has been no reporting of mechanical problems or issues. I look forward to Dustin's review and hopefully he will be able to post his assesment of the Phoenix 2007 model, and what issues he found if any. The car has been expertly maintained by the owner/driver.

After Dustin's analysis and review Team Phoenix Race Works will deliver the car to FIR (Firebird International Raceway) where I wiill run the AZ Double Regional event. This will be the last event of the 2008-2009 racing season for the AZ Region. After that, I will conduct more testing and get additional seat time in the Phoenix at my home track of ArroyoSecoRaceway located here in Southern New Mexico. We get the track for a mere $80.00 for a full day of open track sessions. Thereafter I will race with the SouthWest Motorsports Group at Sandia Motorplex located in Albuquerque, NM. Then possibly race at Pikes Peak International Raceway on the Memorial Day weekend with the Rocky Mountain Division SCCA. That would complete my scheduled Spring 2009 race schedule. Testing and addtional seat time will take place on a monthly basis at our local 1.6 mile road racing circuit.

The Phoenix F1000 has been a blast to drive and the results speak for themselves as far as reliaibilty and performance. The more I spend in the car the better the recorded times get. The F1000 Class is a joy, simply put, The cars have tremendous power and the Phoenix F1000 racing machine can be very intimidating, especially to me. There is no doubt that the new Phoenix F1K.09 will be a car to be reckoned with in 2009 when entering the June Sprints and ARCC race later this fall. While there are many new cars emerging in this growing class, those potential F1000 owners who have passed over buying the Phoenix chassis is certainly missing out on owning a premier racing machine.

Team Phoenix Race Works has always been around for support and I have used their racing experience to better my own fun times with this car. Dustin Wright is a fine young man who literally eats, drinks and sleeps F1000.

I eagerly await his review and analysis of my own Phoenix F1000

This time the Go Pro camera worked very well. Lots of vibration, but very helpful in review of driving the car. I will say, those F1000 owners that have and can afford paddle shifters, have a major advantage of those that have to shift the car with a joy stick. The GoPro videos are fun to watch. Finally they worked well, once fully charged rechargable NiCad Metal batteries were used.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Liked: 59

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Good job, Richard. I hope to be able to come out and meet you at FIR and see the car in action.

Liked: 1

I was working Grid at PIR this past weekend and got a chance to talk with Richard, admire his absolutely gorgeous car and see the two of them shooting down the front straight. Hearing that engine wind up as he headed for the finish line really got the pulse going - there's just something about watching formula cars blast by at high RPM that meets some primal need. Poor cavemen without FBs to watch - they had to make do with sabretooth tigers and stuff. Just not the same...
    John Piggott
    1974 Lola T-322 Super Vee
    2009 FK-MK1 Formula First (Under Construction)

Thread Information