Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Default Saving $$$$ on racing.....

As an avid reader of ApexSpeed and a Formula F1000 owner/driver I can understand the concerns of the cost of racing. I too face the same problem over expenses. I started racing my Formula Ford back in 2003, then advanced to a Formula Continental and then up to Formula F1000 with my Phoenix F1K.07.

During this time and when I first got started I bought new tires for my cars at a cost in excess of about $650.00 to $700 per set. Over the past 5 years I have been buying my racing tires from John Berget Racing Tires. John has been in the business for 35 years and sells 95%-100% what is called full rubber Goodyear Eagle, Hoosier, and Avon racing tires. I pay $50 per tire + shipping via UPS to my door in Las Cruces, NM for the best tires he has. The tires have usually been used for 1 round of practice or 1 round of qualifying by the racer. Usually from pro racers who can afford to buy tires and then shed them after one or two runs. Then they end up with John Berget Racing Tires in Wisconsin. I have always had quick service and the tires are virtually brand new. It is a great cost savings. If you looking to race, and save money, I highly suggest that you consider this or call John Berget or Mike at John Berget Tire. These guys are friendly and after you buy one set, I guarantee you will be back for more. Its a great way to save money, and I figure I have saved thousands over the years by going this route. Many racers have not heard of John or Mike, and they are missing out on good potential savings. I have just ordered a set of Hoosier 20 x 7 x 13 and 22 x 9 x 13 ...25A compound on the front and 35A compound on the rear for $200....+ UPS shipping which comes to about $50.00 to New Mexico. I will these tires for the full weekend at Phoenix International Raceway on March 21st and 22nd, and then on April 4th and 5th at Firebird International Raceway located south of Phoenix. I run with the Arizona Region SCCA in the winter months, and then in the RMD SCCA during the summer. I won the 2007-2008 Regional Championship in FB for the Arizona Region and won the 2008 Rocky Mountain SCCA Division Regional Championship in FB using the John Berget Racing Tires.

So if you want to save a few bucks, this may be a great way to go. As I stated once you get one set, you will be hooked and most likely never need to buy a new set of new sticker tires again. I thought I would make this post and provide this information, some racers have smaller budgets and are looking for ways to save money. If you decide to go this way let them know that Richard Dziak referred you to them. I told Mike today I would refer other F1000 owner drivers to them because of the superior service and great tire values. They are also a sponsor of ApexSpeed website and advertiser.

Here's the website for John Berget and his telephone number is on the website.

www.jbracingtires.net
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Ordered two sets from him just yesterday for my FV and he's close enough I don't even need to pay shipping.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Geez, guys! First John Berget started scarfing up all the used take-offs & now you're telling everyone about his good deals. Before all this started I was able to pick up a couple decent sets of used tires from every race weekend I attended, but now it's getting tough for us "King of Cheap" guys to survive! Stop giving away the secrets!
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 553

The tires have usually been used for 1 round of practice or 1 round of qualifying by the racer.
    Is there a way to confirm this? Or do you just have to take their word? Seems odd that there are enough teams out there that only use tires one session. That's an awful lot of mounting and balancing for someone. If I understand this correctly, that would mean the car goes out on stickers every session.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 3787

Russ,

Might be hard to believe... and impossible for Scott and I to comprehend, but Saturday i saw one FC team try two sets of stickers during a 20 minute qualifying. Decided which set they liked best. Tossed the other set aside... with 4 laps.

Easy to do if you aren't paying for tires.

Oh... yeah... we that do pay for tires, pay for that.

Liked: 42

I got a set from Berget that was one of those 4 lappers and tossed away. The stickers weren't on there but that was about the only difference. The mold marks were still faintly there even.

<---- Just used stickers for the first time last weekend. Man it's like crack. Must restrain self from getting them again. I could have gotten 3 sets of Bergets best for the price of one set of stickers.

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default "Man,it's like Crack"

Never tried Crack (well not the drug kind) BUT I ran other people's take Off's my first few years in FF and finally broke down and bought a set of Stickers-put the car on the Pole!. Kinda hard to go back!

Liked: 6

I second the recommendation for John Berget. Been great to deal with! David

Liked: 19

I bought John's tires for several years and was very satified most of the time. Just be aware that sometimes his supply is spotty and he may not always have what you need. I finally broke down when he was out of stock and I had big weekend coming up. Bought new tires and won both ends of the double! Like they said, once you've had stickers you can never go back.

Liked: 210

Well, isn't this thread just a dandy bit of news. Here we are about 3 weeks away from calling Berget to pick up a set of nice smelly R35's to last us through our 5 or 6 race season.

After this post, he'll be out of stock for months... Sigh Thanks to Berget, our car has yet to taste the flavor of stickers here in the Northwest.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by SWMyers View Post
    I bought John's tires for several years and was very satified most of the time. Just be aware that sometimes his supply is spotty and he may not always have what you need. I finally broke down when he was out of stock and I had big weekend coming up. Bought new tires and won both ends of the double! Like they said, once you've had stickers you can never go back.
    Oh sure, it's easier to win on new tires, however it's more satisfying to do it on free two year old takeoffs. Actually I figure the extra grip of a new set might rip my 25 year old corners off.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 4

Default Berget Tires

Berget has been a long time supporter of www.formulaproracing.org, thus I buy all my tires from him even if on occassion I can get good take-offs locally.

I also got new tires from John. I don't recall which brand it was, but price was the same as other sources.

I recently picked up some "Used" rain tires from him and they still had the little "Nubs" on the treads.

To get seat time, low cycle used is great. Give us the oppurtunity to spend more on entry fees.

In doing setup or doing testing we beleive slicks are the best way to go.

His best availibility is just after the run-offs.
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Russ McB:

When I wrote to you, I was straight forward with my suggestion to save $$$$ racing. Now as you can see from these posts and the remarks from other racers John Berget Racing Tire has provided lots of saving and a great quality product to many of us. I am sure that as more racers weigh in on this thread, the supply at Berget might just go down for awhile. If your getting ready for the 2009 racing season, I still highly suggest this quality racing retailer who has not only saved me $$$$$ but many other racers.

And yes when John Berget says the tires are 90 or 95 or 98% full rubber he does not BS.
    He can even sell 75% rubber at greatly reduced prices. You get what you pay for, but for racers who can't afford to spend the $700 for a set of tires, I am convinced that this is the only way to go to SAVE $$$$$$ RACING as the thread I personally started goes.

P.S....When I spoke with John Berget personally this week, he is expecting a large amount of Goodyear Eagles to come in next week. So for those who like the Goodyear Eagles, you may want to get in line to get these quality tires. When I spoke with Mike the General Manager, I went for the Hoosiers 25a and 35a as they were available with full rubber for just $50 each plus delivery. A deal that was hard to beat. They will be mounted next week when delivered then off to Phoenix International Raceway to run the weekend with the newly mounted Berget Tires. If anyone orders tires let them know that Richard Dziak referred you. You will be a very happy racer.

Yes, the tires are smelly, I am usually the last delivery of the day from my UPS driver and he always complains about smelling the tires all day. I had to laugh at that.
    Last edited by Richard Dziak; 03.12.09 at 4:27 PM.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico

Since this thread is about tires...........

Has anyone raced their formula car on Hankook tires?
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico

Thread Information