Liked: 0

Default need engineer to scca certify roll cage

I have Lola 342 1974. I never had SCCA logbook and want to get car homologated. SCCA said I need to have engineer sign off on roll cage for them to homologate car. Where can i find engineer to sign off in NYC-Western CT or Pocono PA area? thanks....

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default With SCCA?

Your Engineer shoud have a Lawyer.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 270

Default Lola T342

Actually the roll hoop on the T342 conforms to the original rule and is not an alternate structure from what I remember. I do remember having to replace dash hoops to make them correct from the old square tube and update the forward braces as the rules changed in the late 70's.

Liked: 2

Default Roll Hoop approval

If they are requesting an FEA I can get that for you. I would need info for the FEA. PM me if you would like to pursue, we would have some work to do.

The FEA and letter with registered engineer's stamp is a cost item.

Richard Learned

Liked: 273

Default Roll Hoop FEA and PE Sign Off

Contact Billy Wight, he has recent experience doing this very such thing and his FEA skills are SUPERB. He has vast Formula car experience and is a member of this forum ....he can be reached at billy@luxonengineering.com.

Gary Hickman
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Arnie;

I went through this sort of deal on a T-440 in 1991. Firstly, the original main hoop material was not of the required thickness; secondly, the bend radius was inconsistent with the GCR.

The GRC reads that an alternate design (stock in this case) can is approved if a certified ME can demonstrate the roll cage will support xGs in three directions. My ME did the comprehensive study (sixty pages worth), and I selectively forwarded favorable portions of the Autocad to Sven at SCCA Technical with my plea. Denied!!

The short of it: My ME said this car was not consistent with the minimum mandatory GCR requirements, and further recommended the chassis ONLY be used for Pine Wood Derby events.

I had a new rollbar made of CrMo, brazed it, forward supports installed and had a ball, but NEVER did I challenge anyone for a corner, and spent all my cockpit time living in my mirrors.

Iverson
    Last edited by Rick Iverson; 03.06.09 at 12:39 AM.
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 15

Default Certification Papers

If you can wait a week or so, I have a copy of the original certification papers from Lola for the 342 series with Bob Marston's engineering stamp. I will look over the weekend or sometime next week. I have it packed away somewhere.

Liked: 123

Y'all may be forgetting that the T342 had to meet the pre-1986 rules when it was originally being certified, which it may or may not have actually done. The thickness of the hoop material is a little dodgy. A T342 being homologated now has to meet the current rules in their entirety. Probably a new hoop, new braces, new forward dash hoop, new braces, etc.

Brian

Liked: 977

Is it possible that the car was previously homologated and that the log book has been lost? If so, should you not be able to seek a replacement certificate and book?

Thread Information