Thread: T440 project

Liked: 43

Post T440 project

Hi All, I am an old vee racer, and have been out of the sport for 30 years. Been looking for a project. I have an opportunity to buy a Lola T440. The car is complete, with a few spares (ATS rims, carb, head), and is available for around $2500 (no trailer). It has not been active for probably 8 to 10 years, and was left out one winter under a tarp, which has resulted in some corrosion, etc. I'm not in a rush to get it on the track, and it looks like a fun project. My question for all of you is this: Does this sound like a reasonalbe value? Thanks in advance for your kind assistance!

Tom

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by tppj View Post
    Hi All, I am an old vee racer, and have been out of the sport for 30 years. Been looking for a project. I have an opportunity to buy a Lola T440. The car is complete, with a few spares (ATS rims, carb, head), and is available for around $2500 (no trailer). It has not been active for probably 8 to 10 years, and was left out one winter under a tarp, which has resulted in some corrosion, etc. I'm not in a rush to get it on the track, and it looks like a fun project. My question for all of you is this: Does this sound like a reasonalbe value? Thanks in advance for your kind assistance!

Tom
    Oh ya, Tom! Having just nearly completed this same project I can tell you, as many others here can also, that this had better be a "labor of love" for you since when you total up all the hours, days, weeks & months (maybe years) of labor you'll end up making about $.05/hr., not to count the cost of replacement parts. However, it does give you a great sense of accomplishment & pride once it's completed, knowing that 99.9999% of the people in the world could not (would not!) attempt a project like this. I say if you enjoy spending your time & money this way, then go for it. Let me know if you have any questions or need reference photos along the way. Good Luck!
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 123

$2500 is in the ballpark of the part-out value, or even below that, so it's officially a good deal. Have fun with it, build it up and run it, enjoy...

Brian

Liked: 0

Default greatest worst car ever!!!

That is a Great car. I wrench on one that we have campagned for many years. It was an experimental car that Lola used to try a 50/50 weight ratio. What they found out very quickly... that sucks!!!! 60/40 is the way to go.
    Some people keep it in the 50/50 set up for vintage porposes, but most take the "cage" between the Engine & tranny out & relocate the engine backwards. Once you do that getting it to a 60/40 is pretty easy.
    Every driver who has driven it says it is one of the sweetest responding cars they have driven. You will love it!
    Stephen

Hard at Play Racing
    Crewing at it's Best!
    Hemmingway Said "the only true SPORTS are Bull Fighting, Mountain climbing & Auto Racing, Everything else is just a game."

Well, I was able to buy the car for 2k, so it's a done deal. I'll begin tearing it down to see what I've got. Thanks for your input, everyone! You can bet I'll be on here with loads of stupid questions! I'll try not to overdo it...

Tom

Liked: 0

Default 440

tppj, if you need a pair of rear rotor's for her, I have a set for min. $$. Have fun with her! tomandgretch@charter.net

Liked: 123

I have a T440 that I've done a lot of work on, let me know if you have any questions.

Brian

Thanks, Brian! I will do that for sure.

Tom

Liked: 1417

I'm sure you will have more support and help than you could possibly imagine here on ApexSpeed, Tom. Welcome to the crackpipe that is ApexSpeed.com.

Thread Information