Liked: 1432

Default MCSCC Driver's School - April 18th!!

Midwestern Council Driver's School at Blackhawk Farms is coming up, and if you have not already begun the process of signing up, now is the time. I have heard there is some unrest about the timing on the SCCA school, so here is a great alternative to get a license, and start racing in the same weekend! I have heard from several students that MC's school is a fantastic program and you can not beat the value...$210 for MC or thousands on a pro school.

Step 1- Join a club (Lakeshore, Madison, Chicagoland etc.) by March 21st
    Step 2- Talk to that club steward to tell him/her you are going to attend, by March 31
    Step 3- Medical and school permit sent to license director, by April 5th
    Step 4- Mandatory classroom session, April 5th. (If you are traveling long distance, there is one alternative to do the school Friday night, but that is not done often, and you didn't hear it from me.)
    Step 5- Register for the school, YOU MUST PREPAY AND PREREGISTER by April 12th.

Step 6- this is important...go to the school! Tech is Friday night as there is NO time on Saturday to do it.

Step 7- Have fun, it is a fast paced day with a lot of info crammed into it, so bring a good crew and have your car ready to go BEFORE you get there. You won't want to mess with getting to the meetings, learning, and everything else you need to concentrate on while having to figure out why you don't have spark.

Here is a link to the latest newsletter with all the driver's school info:
    http://mcscc.org/files/Klaxon-2009-01-02.pdf

Not happy with the SCCA school layout, schedule, or what have you? Then come to the MC school and race the next day! SCCA accepts an MC full competition license for regionals. Completion of the school will earn you a Novice license, 6 races will get you a full comp.

-RH

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

I'll be running as a track time only entry. Looking forward to shaking down the new car!
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Thanks for mentioning that Matt! There is also a limited number of slots for people looking for track time as well. Must have a comp license. Also, it is asked that you not only focus on your car, but the driving of others. If your time permits please come to a driver's meeting and give some good feedback on the students from an on track stand point.

-RH

Liked: 0

Default clarification on "school permit" needed

"Medical and school permit sent to license director, by April 5th"

Who sends these items to the license director? Moreover, while I imagine there will be a medical release form involved, what is a "school permit"? (is it like the scca novice permit?)
    Also, there is really a need for a transponder? (hard thing to find used these days it seems)
    Thanks, stommelen
    Stommelen
    (brake operator of a Cortina RF83 and corner worker for all sort of competitive auto and moto racing )

Quote Originally Posted by stommelen View Post
    "Medical and school permit sent to license director, by April 5th"

Who sends these items to the license director? Moreover, while I imagine there will be a medical release form involved, what is a "school permit"? (is it like the scca novice permit?)
    Also, there is really a need for a transponder? (hard thing to find used these days it seems)
    Thanks, stommelen

You send them. I believe the permit is a form you fill out send in, check the previous links and attachments, the forms and more info are in there. Medical is a medical, same or similar to SCCA. I will check to be sure what the school permit is, I think it says you passed the classroom session and have all the other forms (medical, registration) in order.

You do need a transponder, and if you plan to race, the whole point of going through the program, you need one sooner or later. It is used to count laps to make sure you completed enough to pass, measure your times from the morning to the afternoon, and so on.

Midwestern Council does have transponders you can rent. I am not sure how much as I have never rented one. They are the battery powered type.

Liked: 10

I will also be there for track time Sat in my DSR. I will also be running the race on Sunday
    Mat Cutter

Liked: 0

Default Any (formula) in-car videos of BHF?

I am sure this has been discussed before. I have never driven at BHF and I would appreciate if someone could point me to web sites with a "guided tour" or in-car cam videos. Same for info about gearing and gear changes. Thanks, stommelen
    Stommelen
    (brake operator of a Cortina RF83 and corner worker for all sort of competitive auto and moto racing )

PM me with you address and I will send you some in car DVD's if I can find where I put them, and gear info. You Tube has some vids on there. I know there are many Mike Backus SM moments, and saw Lawrence Lowshak added on of him in his new DSR.

-Reid Hazelton

Gearing is about as follows:

18/32
    20/30
    23/28
    21/24

9.31 r&p, standard tire, FF

I have seen others, and they may be a slight bit different 2nd and 3rd gear, but this is close.

Max speeds are about:

1st-75mph
    2nd-85mph
    3rd-108mph
    4th-119mph

-RH

Thread Information