Thread: crew car

Contributing Member
    Liked: 26

Default crew car

Hello all,

I run an FC car and have 4 guys helping me. I would like to by them / my crew a car for each guy to run at the races we attend this year. A little thank you if you will. I need a car that doesnt cost much, cost much to run and the cockpit must be able to hold guys from 5'10" to 6'3" and as heavy as 230 lbs. Hopefully it runs on pump gas and a set of rubber will last for 4 race days. I was thinking of FST or formula V but have no real knowledge of either.

I see some good complete with trailer package deals are sometimes offered on the site and that's what I think we need.

Any thoughts on what would be a good car?

Please keep in mind, the crew is somewhat financially challenged. I will buy the car for them but they have to pay to run it.

Thanks in advance guys.

Respectfully,

Blair Robertshaw

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Got any open positions for crew members?!
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 0

I have a Links Forumla Vee for sale, lots of spares, noble engine, spare body works. it hase not been raced for ten years. We will go through the engine and car before it is sold.
    give me a call and we can talk about price.

Allen
    785-341-6581

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

formula vee is your best bet

i used to let crew run the car in a drivers school or autocross

why not buy another FC with which you can share spares?

sounds like a wonderful gesture on your part regardless of the vehicle you choose

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

6'3" and 230# will exclude a FV. Older FF or FC as has been suggested. Does it have to be a formula car? Miatas are quite cheap.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 310

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    6'3" and 230# will exclude a FV.
    No, it doesn't. There are Vees which fit bigger guys. However, the OP will need to make sure his largest crew member can fit in the car. The roll hoop may need to be changed.

Liked: 3

Mr.Bobshaw, I know of a Reynard FC with updated VD wings, wheels/rains, 1 race old motor and spares for 10k CDN approx 7hrs from you.

Just think, X-mas 2 months late

Gord
    later Gord
    BTW...only toilets need doors
    www.blurredvisionracing.com

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by Blair Robertshaw View Post
    .... able to hold guys from 5'10" to 6'3" and as heavy as 230 lbs. Hopefully it runs on pump gas and a set of rubber will last for 4 race days. I was thinking of FST or formula V but have no real knowledge of either.
    Blair,

Without a doubt in my opinon (and if we had to start over on a limited budget) FST, FST!!

Great speed bang for the buck running just off the fast FF pace. Very reliable engines and it you do loose one, about $3,600 carb to clutch ready to go (less then a Pinto rebuild). If the FST engine needs a rebuild, I recall it's about $1K. That engine cost is WAY, WAY lower then a competitive standard FV engine.

Chassis parts are penny's compared to anything else and FST's even have disc brakes.. Whoopy!!

Jeff is 6' 2" and we tried on a couple of Vee's. The ones we did were a cramp (a touch tigher then the 90 Reynard is) but might have been possible with some chassis mods. There are FST's (new or converted) and FV's (new and used) that WILL work for the 6' 3" driver.

Bill Bonow is the FST/FV expert here on the Forum. Contact him.

It's the only way to go for what you want to do and will give them a great ride!

Beyond that, any formula car will be much more to operate and/or procure.

MORE INFO:

http://www.sracing.com/

P.S.
    That Reynard could/might hold a 6' 3" driver depending upon his build. Or a roll bar mod might be needed. Longer the legs the BIGGER the problem in the Reynard. Not so much torso as it is inseam length.

Problem with that is, operating budget equal to your VD.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 113

Default Big Guys and Formula Cars.

Older FV are capable of handling large people. I am 6' 3.75" and fit in a Zink C4. A Lynx B is also capable of accomodating large drivers - but you may have to modify the lower frame rails a little.
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

Contributing Member
    Liked: 26

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

The car would have to be open wheel but it's the operating costs that have the boys a little concerned. We did speak about the Miata option and that may be the way we go but it will be up to the crew really. I like FST / FV for them because it's open wheel and they like OW cars but are the operating costs similar to Miata? That's the real challenge for the guys.

Gord, that's a great suggestion but I would still have to buy a trailer for the boys and then we get too costly.

I saw earlier (of course it's sold now) a post in the FST that had a fairly nice looking car, some good wins under it's belt all complete with trailer and spares for 9K. I thought that looked like a good deal. I will follow up the Bill Bonow suggestion.

I have received a few PM's and I will follow up those as well, thanks again guys, .

Respectfully,

Blair Robertshaw

Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

If you're seriously considering a Formula Vee, this car is an absolute steal.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30553

If $13,500 is too much for you, buy it as a roller for $7500 and put this engine in it and your crew will still have a great car that can win regionals and not be embarrassed in nationals for under $10,000.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31584

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

They're your crew, right? Have skills & knowledge, right?

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31856
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 5

Hello Blair,

Would it not make sense to get a car that would NOT be on the same grid you are on?

You would be able to help crew for their car, and give even more back, without diluting the team during your efforts. It may make them busier, when you need them in the pits, but probably easier to manage.

If you introduce them to racing in a competitive environment with your car, there may be challenges with the expectation, like letting you by, blocking, or tangling up with your own team.

What about Solo 1, or even solo 2? Both are places they could get competitive without affecting your own schedule.

My wife raced Solo 1 for a season, and I crewed for her, (with someone else coaching!) worked out great and had fun.

Talk to you soon

Liked: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    Does it have to be a formula car? Miatas are quite cheap.
    ^^^^^ Truth, and there are some other advantages, as well. My old Spec Miata was set up with the seat on adjustable rails, so it could be rented out to anyone without requiring anything other than a belt length adjustment. Also, a Spec Miata can run in multiple classes in most regional events, so you could actually have two or three guys all race on the same weekend. Tires last a long time, and fuel is cheap.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 2

I have to mention that the cost to maintain a Miata is much greater than a FV or FST. Bend a corner or frame in either OW car and it will be a lot less expensive.

Thread Information