Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

You don't find it odd that three teams that could not pull themselves out of a hole for years are know running at the front of the pack. Their days are numbered. As soon as the schedule gets back to Europe order will be restored. The defusers do matter.

Brian

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    You don't find it odd that three teams that could not pull themselves out of a hole for years are know running at the front of the pack. Their days are numbered. As soon as the schedule gets back to Europe order will be restored. The defusers do matter.

Brian

In all fairness however, if they were ever going to have a chance of really catching up with the elite teams, this was the year. Every car essentially was a clean slate, a new beginning. I'm most interested in watching the Red Bull Cars, they were tearing it up WITHOUT the diffuser. They went with some very different designs, so kudos to them

Liked: 1417

I don't consider it odd when you factor in the obvious fact that they gave up on development of the old car when the new rules were introduced and all put their resources towards getting a head start on the rest of the field.

What is odd to me is that Ferrari and McLaren are so far below the new bar, so to speak.

Liked: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    I don't consider it odd when you factor in the obvious fact that they gave up on development of the old car when the new rules were introduced and all put their resources towards getting a head start on the rest of the field.

As Doug Stated, Ferarri & McLaren where duking it out till last corner last year, introducing parts at every race. Some of that development had to distract and divert resouces (Time, $$$, manpower, Windtunnel, etc) from the new car effort. It's showing up now. I have no doubt the gap will close as season progresses, but believe the points deficet may be too large to overcome. Ugly cars and all, this is shaping up to be an exciting season. The performance of the Red Bull have to be applauded along with Williams and Toyota. The races have not been lopsided.
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Contributing Member

Yes, Ferarri & McLaren were busy late last season, but not BMW and Renault.

Could this be a KERS issue? KERS makes for less than ideal weight distribution and CG. Are any of the three front runners using KERS.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    Yes, Ferarri & McLaren were busy late last season, but not BMW and Renault.

Brian
    Kubica (BMW) was not eliminated until the next to last event, so, effort was probably on 2008. Also I thin the pace of BMW is better then results have shown

As for Renault, they were the most agressive team in-terms of during season improvments. Thier accelerated pace of improvments probabaly had alot to do with thier success towards the end of the season.

Liked: 9

Default KERS; help or hinderance?

Perhaps another clue is that the Adrian Newey designed Red Bull cars are at the front without a trick diffuser and without KERS. His identical aero design on STR is midpack, modified only for the Ferrari engine but with KERS.

Ferrari has a first attempt at the trick diffuser and without KERS this weekend, so we'll see how they do. Didn't do too good in practice, but, as they say, it's only practice.

and McLaren............where to start with those guys?????? what a mess they've made.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Liked: 309

Broadcast times for tonight's qualifying and tomorrow night's race: TV Racer.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Contributing Member

McLaren seems much better with a new interim diffuser. I believe I read that this interim diffuser provide 15% more rear down force. It will be interesting to see how well the big teams make the change to the new diffusers. I believe there is no track testings allowed, just coast down aero tests. All the development will be on the shaker tables and in the wind tunnels. Track testing on Fridays of the race weekend.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Idlof View Post
    and McLaren............where to start with those guys?????? what a mess they've made.
    Though it seems as though Lewis is quicker than both Brawns in practice with the new diffuser. Not helping Massa all that much, though.

Funny how that works.

Default McLaren needs all the tricks they can muster

Though it seems as though Lewis is quicker than both Brawns in practice with the new diffuser. Not helping Massa all that much, though.

Funny how that works.
    Whitmarsh admitted they're just happy to have made it into Q3 for the first time. Heavy on fuel, so they must be on the hard tires looking for some quick times and clear track after the leaders pit.

Brawn's still quicker than the top 3 after adjusting for fuel loads. JB is sweating his gearbox though.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Brawn's still quicker than the top 3 after adjusting for fuel loads. JB is sweating his gearbox though.
    Interesting...not only are the Brawn cars heavier than the front three, but Kimi and Lewis are carrying 4-6 gallons yet more fuel than the Brawn cars. Should be a great tactical battle tonight!

I'm thinking that with JB being on the clean line going into T1, he will try to grab a spot from Rubino...
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

With the differant fuel loads and closeness of times, I think we go into a race for the first time when 8 or 9 drivers have shots at winning.

Default How about the whole field?

With the differant fuel loads and closeness of times, I think we go into a race for the first time when 8 or 9 drivers have shots at winning.
    Weather is the joker in the deck. 30% increasing to 60% later in the afternoon.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...weekday=Sunday

I'm thinking Ross is planning on rain, going with minimal stops and possibly avoiding the super soft tires entirely.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Default RBR had the grid by the balls today

They were untouchable, thanks in no small part to Adrian Newey's work. And probably to Renault's engine that they got to make improvements to over the winter. I think the Renault power got Fred to the front row more so than anything else. And Vettel took pole on just one flying lap with his race fuel load on board. That's saying something !!!

Brawn struggled, so 3-4 for them was a good day.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

So Ted, when can we expect to see your FM in Brawn livery?

/that's hawt!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Don't miss this one, it's one of the most interesting F1 races I've seen lately.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post

/that's hawt!
    Well sure, if you think that would help SSR.

But somehow I'm guessing that's not what you mean.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Default After today's race...........

could you blame me? Vettel had some back luck in traffic, but Jensen was flawless and took full advantage.

Brawn has shown that their car's versality on different tires (in normal warm to hot temps) is just as important if not more so, than the trick diffuser.

Pretty remarkable season, wouldn't you agree? And things could change again starting in Spain with all the new parts promised..............
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

High point for me... Button lapping Massa.

WIN!

I have to admit that I thought the race was next weekend...
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

This "is" a great F1 season. I'm thinking the ban on testing with all the new specs is the main reason for the big upset with the top teams at the back of the pack. Anyone agree?
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Default It's a brand new day.......every race

This "is" a great F1 season. I'm thinking the ban on testing with all the new specs is the main reason for the big upset with the top teams at the back of the pack. Anyone agree?
    It's the most fascinating for me since Schumi started his domination run. I agree that the new specs and limitations on testing have jumbled things up and brought the real talent to the top. Who could not be impressed with what Newey has done? (However that begs the question of the STR boys; WTF are they doing?)

Things will start to return to normal somewhat starting next race. McLaren has made some impressive strides although it took Hamo's talent to get to 4th yesterday. More time and work on the patchwork diffusers and other bits should help the other former powerhouses start to look respectable.

I have to admit that I thought the race was next weekend...
    Well, Stan, that's certainly understandable as I'm sure you're working on a trick diffuser and other bits yourself, no? Probably re-reading that rule book again every night, right?
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Well, Stan, that's certainly understandable as I'm sure you're working on a trick diffuser and other bits yourself, no?
    Why yes...and you'll get a chance to see it in action at Buttonwillow in a couple weeks. Hope to see you there!

Shhhhh, don't tell anybody. It's a big secret!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Default Small in more ways than one

Bernie is not going to give Honda's last year's earnings to Brawn as he had implied he would when he was waiting breathlessly in February to see if they'd even make the grid this year. http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...03152923.shtml

Now that Brawn has turned F-1 upside down, and Briatore is whining like a big brat, he sees things differently. "Just making it up as we go along........."
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Liked: 96

I read that F1 Live article. This really rubbed me the wrong way:

"In the same interview, 78-year-old Ecclestone revealed that he opposed the application to change Honda's official team name to Brawn GP.

The Briton said it is "not a good name, doesn't mean anything to the public.""

What does he not like about Brawn's name? Is he annoyed that it is not a big corporate ($$$) name?
    In the grand history of F1 the great teams had the owner/designer's names: Brabahm, Wolf, McLaren. Did the little $#*& forget that Ferari was Enzo before it was FIAT?

Doesn't mean anything to the public?
    Main Entry: brawn Pronunciation:\ˈbrȯn\ Function: noun Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French braon flesh, muscle, of Germanic origin; akin to Old English brǣd flesh Date: 13th century 1 aBritish : the flesh of a boar b: headcheese2 a: full strong muscles b: muscular strengthMy rant. I'm done.
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

If there are only a handful of things we can all agree on, it's that Bernie is a megalomaniac who needs to stop talking.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

And this after last years disclosure of extra payoffs to ferrari, i think bernie needs the money for his divorce

Default The Dream lives on...............

The other teams are making it too easy for the Killer Bees. I mean, c'mon look at the mistakes; Strategy: Ferrari is performing like they're David Letterman material; Execution? BMW can't get the tires on the right corners. Driver aggressiveness? Vettel is showing a lack; can't find his way around slower cars. Engineering? McLaren can't find their ass with both hands.

Button has just about wrapped it up. If the season keeps going this way, I'll soon lose interest and that's saying something......but I'm sure it won't.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

I'm with yah, Ted. I love bizzaro F1.

Liked: 1

The other teams are making it too easy for the Killer Bees. I mean, c'mon look at the mistakes; Strategy: Ferrari is performing like they're David Letterman material; Execution? BMW can't get the tires on the right corners. Driver aggressiveness? Vettel is showing a lack; can't find his way around slower cars. Engineering? McLaren can't find their ass with both hands.

Button has just about wrapped it up. If the season keeps going this way, I'll soon lose interest and that's saying something......but I'm sure it won't.
    Meh, I think McLaren will certainly fix their problems, it's just a question of whether or not they can do so in time for Lewis to try and defend his crown. I also have similar confidence in Ferrari returning to their form.

How bout Alonso going around Webber and then being repassed into the first corner - great stuff!!

It's shaping up to be an intresting season. I think before we're done, you may have Ferarri, Williams and Toyota all posting wins. but Brawn still winning both Championships. I think KERS is going to become a bigger factor as it seems to be a very effective defensive tool.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information