Thread: Miniature level

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

Default Miniature level

I'm looking for a simple way to measure caster on my db1, and I would like to be able to do it off of the top of the uprights. I can mill the top perpindicular with the kingpin, however I do not know of any leveling device small enough to get in there with the wheel on the car.

I'm guessing that I could come up with some sort of adapter that could bolt on there, but I would rather have some sort of small level that could get in there all by itself.

Does anybody know of something suitable for this application? Any other suggestions on a simple way to measure caster accurately? I have seen some units from mcmaster that don't look too bod, any feedback on a particular model?
    Last edited by na94; 02.27.09 at 1:35 PM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 1

Greg Honeycutt & I both use magnetic angle finders set on top of the upright. It won't measure the caster but it will tell you if both sides are equal. Greg can probably chime in with a more technical explaination, I just know it's a cheap & easy method that even I can't screw up!!!
    Take care, jb

Liked: 23

Since 0.1 degree of error in castor measurement is not critical, I use one of these on my DB6:

http://www.mitutoyo.com/TerminalMerc...spx?group=1438

I made an adapter so it sits flat to the top camber block front and rear, but have found its not really necessary.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

Must be nice to have a modern car with a camber block

Magnetic base won't do any good since the uprights are non-ferrous.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Want a really cool small, portable electronic level? Get an iPhone! My wife's has one and it's pretty darn accurate.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 23

Quote Originally Posted by na94 View Post
    Must be nice to have a modern car with a camber block

Magnetic base won't do any good since the uprights are non-ferrous.
    Mine is not magnetic (and my camber blocks are ally). The adapter I made just puts the protractor inboard of the wheel/tire while measuring the top surface of the upright/camberblock.

Another thing that helps get it close as you're assembling it all is to have eye to eye lanyards made in the proper ride height shock lengths so the assembly when on high stands is at ride height.

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Senior Member Becker Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 0

For what its worth, I found a great 9" digital level]at OSH [Sears} cost $40.00. accuracy = +/- .1 degree, made a couple adapters to check chamber and caster works great! some friends who run pro 2000 VD double checked my settings on their fancy platform, no problems

Thread Information