Liked: 4

Default Tire Changer-Specific for Center Lock Wheels - Video

After getting rid of the truck and being disappointed in how tire shops bend and scratch my rims ($60-$90), I've been looking for a reasonably priced multi use manual tire changer to be mounted (Removably) in the trailer. Once that I can use without electric or compressor (We use Nitrogen T-Bottle to seat beads).

I reached out to Tirestripper and had them make up an adapter for our centerlock wheels. I then sent him a wheel/tire to test. Below is the video of this test.

http://www.tirestripper.com/video/Ti...ormulaCar.html

He also is making up cones to balance our tires on his static balancer (A spin type unit, like the cycle guys swear by).

Wheel is an FC Techno front off our '93 Citation FC. Tire is 8 cycle old GY-160.

I've got 5 sets of rims to mount up, 2 sets of street car snow tire change overs and potentially 4 new tires for trailer. Should pay itself in a less then 2 seasons.

I'm not able to view video at work, but if it looks like it works well, I'm going to order a full package, Changer, Balancer, Weights, Lube, Universal adapter for car/trailer tires.

He says he will be updating website this weekend with the new parts. All the new parts should be available the middle of next week as well as a video balancing this tire/wheel.
    Last edited by racer27; 02.27.09 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Link Fixed
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Liked: 71

link not working...for me anyway...help! I am looking for the same solution.

Liked: 23

Link repaired

http://www.tirestripper.com/video/Ti...ormulaCar.html

Makes it look easy...wonder how hard a cantilever tire would be with the system
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

What I like about the system is:

1. That bead breaking is done from the top (Instead of with tire on ground as in some others). Less bending over I have to do the better.

2. No need to move tire to break bead, the Breaker bar moves

3. I like the fact that the dismount bar has a channel to operate in, and not just leveraged against the side of the machine center post.

Liked: 2

Using the motorcycle blocks should make doing FF rears a little easier!

http://www.tirestripper.com/Motorcycle.html
    Scott

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar

The set up and basic function is the same as the Roger Krause unit which is the standard I have always compared manual machines to. Having used the R.K. unit *many times* I can see the big advantage this unit has is the mount and dismount bar seems significantly longer and I like the way it slips over the center post. Also, I prefer the design of the end of arm tooling on the mount/dismount bar which has the nylon properly fastened to the unit versus other brands with thin. slip on covers.

I thought the rim clamp was finicky for an otherwise slick set up. I could see myself forgeting about it and trying to seat the bead with it still clamped on the underside of the rim at least once or twice.

Then I would fix a 15" diameter disk with a thick rubber pad under the wheel and tighten the rim down against that (like the R.K. unit).

Thanks for the link - It is WAY better than the H.F. unit I use now...

Jonathan
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

Liked: 0

Default R K

If it helps anyone running FF's use an old or spare wheel to put under the wheel you are changing on the Krause set up. It keeps the tire from hittin the mount surface and uses the second wheel to clamp. It makes doing rears as easy as fronts. Looks like you would have to do the same with this unit. Very slick package.

Default Techo Wheel/Tire Balancing Video

They posted a video on balancing FC wheel. Yes, it's true, wheel had 19 weights on it. Further evidence that I should not be giving local tire shop my money.

Granted, tire is a beat-up take-off. Expect to be mounting stickers this season. The least balanced of the rims, become the rain rims.

http://www.tirestripper.com/video/WBFormulaCar.html

Default Wheel Mounting Machine & Balancer

I just ordered one from thier site. Should have it in a week. Some guys have asked me for feedback, I'll post it here along with some pics after I actually use it.

Parts they told me to order were:

Wheel Lock Package - Including Lube & Spray bottle - $415
    Wheel Balancer with Axle, Small and Large Cones - $135
    Low Profile Stick On Wheel Weights - $10
    Total $560

Should pay for itself after 9-10 set Mount/Dismounts @ $60 per set. 2 seasons, or at least that is what I told the wife (Can not have enough tools, right?).
    Last edited by racer27; 03.05.09 at 12:30 PM.

Liked: 1

I really like this. It would be great if someone on the forum living near them (The Colony, TX) would take a FF rear over and have them test the machine on it. I'd buy one if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Vann View Post
    I really like this. It would be great if someone on the forum living near them (The Colony, TX) would take a FF rear over and have them test the machine on it. I'd buy one if it works.
    Stan:

When I sent him my FC wheel, I almost also sent him a FF Rear, but I did not have one handy.

I suggest you email Mark sales @ tirestripper.com He is very responsive to email.

I'm sure if someone were to provide a FF rear, he would be more then willing to test it, video and post the results. If not, when I get my unit, I can borrow a FF rear from RacerGirl and see how it works. Unfort, I won't ahve the unit mounted in my trailer till the tail end of this month.

Liked: 1

Ambrose,
    Thanks for the information. I'll contact them and see what they think.
    Stan

Thread Information