Thread: Alternator

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Alternator

So the rules say it is not necessary but not that is not legal. So has anyone asked for a clarification or tried to run one? With Data Acquisition, electronic ignition, smaller batteries, etc. I wonder if one could run one if one wanted to?

Liked: 17

Quote Originally Posted by Joefisherff View Post
    So the rules say it is not necessary but not that is not legal. So has anyone asked for a clarification or tried to run one? With Data Acquisition, electronic ignition, smaller batteries, etc. I wonder if one could run one if one wanted to?
    I wonder how much HP it would tap? Allegedly, gutted alternators are a tech problem in the spec classes.
    Bob McCown
    Van Diemen RF81 #472 (2008-2013)
    Next ?
    2009 ARS CF
    "I barked twice." - Enzo (the dog)

Contributing Member Don Denomme's Avatar
    Liked: 4

Years ago, and I'm figuring 25 years ago, we ran a motor cycle alternator. With today's battery technology I've never found a need. Proper charging between runs has always been enough to get you through any race weekend. I have a data dash that gives me starting and ending voltage during a race. Normal readings are 12.8 to 12.9 start and 12.4 to 12.5 ending voltage.

Running an AIM Gold 3 dash and electronic ignition.

Don

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

There's a guy in San Diego that builds a motorcycle type alternator into the backside of waterpump pulleys. RACEMATE

They seem to be awfully big but he does custom work and it would seem that he could build them into just about anything that would spin.

Liked: 80

Quote Originally Posted by Joefisherff View Post
    Joe,

I know this almost 10 years ago but it's funny you ask this, at this years National's 2017 after starting my FF 30 times in 3 days for getting the FF to grid, Tech, to the practice course and running the National's on the very last run the Battery went dead, 12.5 min of charging on a trickle charger and then push starting the FF my co-driver was able to finish, crazy.

Have been looking into an alternator from a Kubota tractor so first off never have to worry about the battery going flat and to stay within the weight limits. I'm going to check in this motorcycle type Alt next though and see if this is one thing I don't have to worry about. The other caveat is if the battery does go flat you can still push start the FF and run!

Ben

Thread Information