Thread: WSIR Race Video

Liked: 273

Default WSIR Race Video

I cut out the first 3 yellow flag laps...enjoy the GoPro supplied video

http://vimeo.com/3345188

On the yellow flag lap before the restart you'll notice the Pro Mazda is smoking really bad....dude was slinging oil out the back of his car...I gave him some room on the restart because I couldn't tell if he had oiled my tires down. I radioed Tony to tell the race steward but the radio's had crapped out.

GH
    Last edited by ghickman; 02.24.09 at 2:36 PM.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 51

Sweet video Gary, thanks for putting it up.

Are your and Tony planning on T-Hill?

mj

Hi Mark
    Yep we'll be there at T-Hill. Looking forward to seeing you again.

GH
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 59

Great video Gary! Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by billwald View Post
    Great video Gary! Well done!
    Thanks Bill

Sometimes I'm hesitant to post stuff on here because I don't want people to think I'm a thread hog or stealing someones thunder. I get a buzz from watching this stuff and I assume everyone else here does too. More than anything I hope I'm motivating others to finish their projects or buy a car so they join the ranks and get this class going.

GH
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Gary,

Looking at the your hand movement looks like the car is pretty predictable, no major push and on off throttle looks pretty smooth.

I do not remember from your earlier threads what kind of shifter you are using but seems pretty smooth!

Good luck see you at the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Devins View Post
    Gary,

Looking at the your hand movement looks like the car is pretty predictable, no major push and on off throttle looks pretty smooth.

I do not remember from your earlier threads what kind of shifter you are using but seems pretty smooth!

Good luck see you at the track.
    Mike
    That's very perceptive on your part...the car is improving every time we go out. The most recent change we made was lowering the ride height in the rear....and boy do we have it low.

Of course I feel there's more in this car than I'm currently using. For one the motor we are running is straight out of a junk yard 05 GSXR1000. New 2008 soon.

The paddle shifter is of my own design...I think you'd be impressed with how simple it is and best of all it works.

Forgot to mention this...some of the GOOD handling may be attributed to the diff we are using...insert plug for WRD here. Salisbury diffs are the best IMO.

GH
    Last edited by ghickman; 02.24.09 at 9:20 PM.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default Very Smooth Driver Gary. Congrats.. Most Impressive..

Look forward to racing against you later this year.
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Gary:

Great video.....a link to your video has been added to the F1000 Owner/Driver website under the title: Test Drive an F1000 today.

http://formulaf1000classfbracecarownerd.shutterfly.com/

Thanks for sharing the video with the world.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Gary,

May belong in a new thread but I would love to see details on the shifter if you are willing to share

Liked: 157

Default Inspiring me

Gary, more is better. My conversion suffered two setbacks (health and commuter car issues) that may jeapordise getting out there before the latter part of the season. Seeing this stuff makes me want to recover the lost weeks and get the FB done ASAP. ThANKS!

Cheers

Steve

Liked: 11

Quote Originally Posted by ghickman View Post
    I cut out the first 3 yellow flag laps...enjoy the GoPro supplied video

http://vimeo.com/3345188

On the yellow flag lap before the restart you'll notice the Pro Mazda is smoking really bad....dude was slinging oil out the back of his car...I gave him some room on the restart because I couldn't tell if he had oiled my tires down. I radioed Tony to tell the race steward but the radio's had crapped out.

GH
    I did get enough of the message to inform the stewards. They said they would watch him and probably him. Unfortunately, the flaggers didn't have the view Gary did and never flagged him. It is really noticeable on the video!

Tony Moore

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Cool vid, thanks!

The car looks like it's handling pretty well. Good on you guys VIII!!

About that Pro FM, yeah that pup was smokin' alright.
    There was a guy at the Runoffs, last year at Mid O/'05 in the DSR race that made that thing look CARB legal!!
    Smoke absolutely James Bond smoke screen thick going through left handers. Had to slow waaaaaaaaay down, extremely dangerous.
    Officials did squat then as well.
    GC

Liked: 0

Nice video, Gary - too bad it was such an overcast day. It looks like that track is a good development track for Road America - lots of long WOT runs. Were you geared correctly? Seemed like a lot of flat running in 6th (not much RPM gain). It also looked like you were driving fairly conservatively - as the Radical in front of you was using all the track and you weren't much of the time - maybe I'm miss interpreting this, however...The car looks like it is very well sorted relative to driver controls. Thanks for posting the video on Vimeo - they are the best site for video. Cheers, Clark

Clark
    The gearing was right on. I talked with Duder on Saturday and we compared MPH and revs. at all the key corners and we were almost identical except top speed coming into T1. The idea is to be in 6th gear long before you enter T9. I take a slight different line around T9, I don't like squaring that turn off. I like to turn in early and let the car drift out...you can see how quickly I reeled the Pro Mazda in. That's the way Paul White taught me back in the FF HayDay.

I got real frustrated with the Pro Mazda because he spayed oil all over my front tires. Had I not had that weighing on my mind I probably would have been on the Radical sooner. It was like following the James Bond car a good portion of the time.

GH
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Gary,

I was thinking the same thing regarding rpm and gearing---just by the sound...are you WOT through 8 with more rpm entering than exiting? If so, perhaps it won't pull a taller gear with your current power level.

Major head buffeting in T8 as well, was there the normal winds blowing to the east? If so, perhaps that was hurting your top speed on the S/F straight being slightly uphill and into the wind.

Amazing how slow some of it looks until you look at the time....glad I never video any of my laps

This new GoPro Wide Angle gives an interesting look, it sort of slows things down. I like it though it gives you a really good feel for what's happening.

Yes WOT thru 8 then trail the throttle breifly into 9 till it takes a set on back on WOT....2.3 g's....at the end of the straight 135MPH into T1 drop 1 gear and carry 5th all the way around to the exit of T2...got this from Duder and he was flat flying around there.

There's a rough spot in T8 that bounces my head around, no wind to speak of.

Tony had me on split times faster than anyone around the Omega T3,T4,T5....it's rough in a couple of spots at the top of T4 and you can hear it in the rpm's.

We're still running an 05 motor so my guess is we're down 5-8 hp. We figured why put time on a newer motor when we're still trying to figure this car out.

Since I built the car myself I have ZERO people to get setup info from. Actually Kevin Mitz @ Rennworks has been my best source of info...thanks Kevin.

GH
    Last edited by ghickman; 02.27.09 at 1:48 AM.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by ghickman View Post
    We're still running an 05 motor so my guess is we're down 5-8 hp. We figured why put time on a newer motor when we're stilling trying to figure this car out.

Since I built the car myself I have ZERO people to get setup info from. Actually Kevin Mitz @ Rennworks has been my best source of info...thanks Kevin.

Smart thinking. Wonderful job on the car, by the way.

Thread Information