Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Default Structural Changes over the years.

An anecdotal point of interest. It shows a difference in philosophy and technology at the same time. Looking at the tub weights of some of the cars such as the F3000, Reynard atlantics, F1, etc that are made from carbon. I'd say they weighed somewhere around 200#-300# when stripped down to bare nuthin.

Flashback to 1979 . . . . .

We are rebuilding the Shadow tub so it was stripped to nuthin.

72 pounds!
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1475

I was chatting with a local fabricator yesterday and a similar subject came up. Back in the "golden years" of F1 guys crashed because they either overdrove the car or the car broke - in general they tried not to run in to each other because it could KILL YOU!

Those 300 lb armored cocoons sure give the image of invincibility! Note the head surround on the new ferraris - so much protection there's no longer any peripheral vision. I predict a lot more T1 crashes this year.

Liked: 309

I just looked up an old email from when we stripped down our Ralt RT-41 for a new lower tub half after Rennie's crash at MO in '03.

Bare tub: 85 lbs.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 123

The bare tub of my 1972 NTM MK4 BSR, which is a fiberglass monocoque, weights about 120 lbs. but it includes the whole engine bay right back to the transmission mounts and the roll cage.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    I just looked up an old email from when we stripped down our Ralt RT-41 for a new lower tub half after Rennie's crash at MO in '03.

Bare tub: 85 lbs.
    Interesting. The Reynard carbon tubs were about twice that. Maybe that's why one reason they were slow.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Liked: 309

Default Reynard FA chassis

Were the Reynard 92/3 chassis originally designed for F-3000, or is that just an urban legend?
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Brian, was that NTM aka MoFoCo out of Ohio? I would love to see one of those again.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    Were the Reynard 92/3 chassis originally designed for F-3000, or is that just an urban legend?
    Stan,

The 92/93h chassis were, AFAIK, updates of the 89/90h atlantic ("H" designation) that addressed some of the issues with the earlier car. The gearbox was updated to an FT instead of the F3A. The rear engine mounts were beefed up considerably, as were the front. Apparently the tub torsional rigidity was increased as well due to different joining considerations and techniques. The chassis was a bit smaller and the roll bar design changed. I'm sure there was a myriad of other "fixes" as well.

As far as it being originally designed for F3000, I doubt it. I had an 89 F3000 (ex Mark Blundell) and, while there were definitely a lot of similarities in concept, the F3000 car was much beefier and a tighter package than even the 92/93h. Of course, one never knows about these things.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Charles Warner; 02.22.09 at 5:17 PM.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

I once had my Lola T-328 down to the tub.

Had to take it outside to give it a really good scrubbing.

No problem.

Just tucked itr under my arm and carried it out the door.

And to think that the T-360 Atlantic was built on the same tub.

Thread Information