Thread: What's this?

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Liked: 0

its actually been listed in the FB classifieds for a while

Liked: 553

Yes, that car has been on the market for a while. Neat car. Would need an engine change (to 1 liter) to be FB legal. Looks similar to Ben Cooper's FB car.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Yes, that car has been on the market for a while. Neat car. Would need an engine change (to 1 liter) to be FB legal. Looks similar to Ben Cooper's FB car.
    Thanks. Is it an FE? Or ground up mc engine car? I guess I was asking what all would be involved for conversion. Thanks for the replies.

Liked: 1

Marshall,

It is a MC powered car, but you'd have to make alterations to be able to mount a 1 liter bike engine. I believe there's a series in the UK that run this car as configured.

I'm not familiar how the Honda Blackbird mounts, but I don't think it would be a huge deal...but you never know.

Matt

It wouldn't take much at all to drop a liter motor in. I could make all the mounts for this car to fit a GSXR 1000 motor in, as well as lots of other whizzy bits! This would make a really good F1000 and this particular car is basically like new.
    Last edited by Brands; 12.02.12 at 9:20 PM.

Liked: 273

Default more info

About 5 years ago there was a person here in California that brought several of these Black Bird powered cars over from the UK. The plan was to start a series called "FORMULA EXTREME". The series never caught on leaving these cars to be run as FS cars.

I have personally looked at the sister car to this car and I am very familiar with how they are put together. They have a very roomy engine bay with a really weird reverse mechanism using a starter motor and a second sprocket on the drivers right side. Take all that junk and toss it out.

The chassis is heavy and even with a 1 litre motor you'll still be overweight by 60 pounds. However with some new bodywork I'd guess 30 pounds could be shed. Ask Ben about this he knows what I'm talking about.

These chassis are virtually identical to the FE except the rearend is all together different.

Overall this is a GREAT FB car....just expect to spend some time switching engines and tossing out the reverse gear. Don't expect to get anything $$ wise out of the Black Bird motor...there's no market for these...so keep this in mind if you bid on this car.

One other expense forgot to mention...they have no diffuser...add that to the cost list.

GH
    Last edited by ghickman; 02.19.09 at 1:19 AM.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 6

Quote Originally Posted by ghickman View Post

The chassis is heavy and even with a 1 litre motor you'll still be overweight by 60 pounds. However with some new bodywork I'd guess 30 pounds could be shed. Ask Ben about this he knows what I'm talking about.

These chassis are virtually identical to the FE except the rearend is all together different.

Overall this is a GREAT FB car....just expect to spend some time switching engines and tossing out the reverse gear. Don't expect to get anything $$ wise out of the Black Bird motor...there's no market for these...so keep this in mind if you bid on this car.

One other expense forgot to mention...they have no diffuser...add that to the cost list.

GH

With 2 gallons of gas left in the cell I went accross the scales at 1067 last race. I weigh 170. If I would bite the bullet and buy some lighter wheels and toss out the Jabroc planks the weight would drop down to about 1037. I just added 5 pounds to mine by replacing the open diff with a Quaife that I will try for the first time this weekend. We'll see if the 5 pound investment was worth it. Then, if I would get some lightened tripod housings, rotors, gun-drilled shafts, and the beautiful bits that Ben has to offer I am sure the weight could get down to the 1000 lb neighborhood. Of course if I would give up the beer the 1000 lb minimum could be had pretty easily, but that ain't gonna happen.

The engine switch should be straightforward. As said above, Ben has some beautiful pieces for these cars and Mike B. can hook you up with a diffuser like he did with mine.

Tom

Liked: 273

Great looking car Tom....the new diff. should make a big difference.

I know where there are at least 1 more of these chassis are and not too far from me. If anyone is interested drop me a line.

GH
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default From Canada also.

I think someone in Canada had some of these advertised here on Apex a few years ago. This guy has been running this car on Ebay and wants about $35.000 for it.
    What I don't understand is why he posted a zillion pix on Ebay but none with the engine cover off? Maybe it'sbecause he describes it as an "F1" car?

i was thinking that this guy didnt know how to take the engine cover off.he has it prepped by a shop and it just sits as a center piece in his garagmahall.

Liked: 702

Looks like it's going to sell this time:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Formu...eetQ5fLegalQ5f

Someone buy this and make it FB-legal!
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Garagemajal

THAT my friend is too funny.
    Ha