Liked: 0

Default Feb Fasttrack - FST crush structure

While reading the February Fasttrack for the FV manifold issue, I read the following modification for FST:

"7. Section 9.1.1.l.7.6, p. 245, change the section to read as follows: A crushable structure or crush box must be rigidly attached to the H-beam and/or frame with a minimum cross section of 200 cm sq (31” sq), at least 40 cm (15.75”) forward of the clutch and brake pedals (not depressed), constructed of a minimum of 18 gauge (.052” or 1.3 mm) 6061-T4 or equivalent aluminum must be used on all Formula First cars."

This paragraph forms the specifications for the required 'crush structure' portion of the standard homologation requirements

Note: the 'strikethrough' part did not paste here. Essentially. the whole paragraph was removed from the GCR.

So does that mean that FST do not need the crush box any more? Does this compromise the safety of the cars, especially since this area is commonly used for the brake and clutch master cylinder location? Can the existing cars, esp Evolution, remove the crush structure?

Bill: Please help me understand the logic or purpose of this change... TIA
    Last edited by rickjohnson356; 02.05.09 at 12:32 AM. Reason: remove funky formatting codes from pasted section

Liked: 77

The paragraph was removed because it was redundant with 9.4.5.G.2 (page 99 in the 2009 GCR).

Dave

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Rick,
    I cannot explain to you want this all means. After two years of trying to figure out the interpretation, and several explanations from Stan, I still do not understand what is required and will just leave my nosebox on anyway.
    What I do understand, is that the nosebox rules are now the same as FV ..... which appears to mean "anything that is not pointy is acceptable".
    Cheers!

PS ... Based on Dave's explanation, it does not sound like he is ready to explain it either
    Last edited by problemchild; 02.05.09 at 8:59 AM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 0

Default I need to read the GCR

Dave was saying (politely) that I should read the GCR section that he referenced.

If the FST section was essentially the same, then the standard wording of the referenced section would be sufficient.

The removal of the FST-specific section would help to reduce the possibility of any conflict between the two.

Not a problem for me yet, cause I'm not at the point where I need to build the crush structure.

Thanks for the help guys

Thread Information