Liked: 0

Default Autocross Set up

I recently purchased a 89 Red Devil which belonged to Scott Woodruff... it has an AMW engine and I am still sorting it out. We are hoping my son can autocross/time trial it for a year and then maybe move on into road racing.

I am trying to work out springs and helix ramps and need some guidance as to what is proper set up for autocross (clutch springs, pawls, helix and alignment) . I would appreciate any help you could give a noob! Just looking for a starting place.Email me at :
    tedagmar@juno.com

Also, anyone know how to get in touch with Scott... I'd love to ask him a few questions.
    Thanks for the website.. been very helpful. Wish I had discovered F500s years ago!

Thanks
    Ted

Liked: 10

Post this on the eformulacarnews web site in the F500 forum section.
    Dave Phaneuf in Michigan is fast with an AMW solo car.
    If it hasn't been updated it may need extensive work to road race it.

Liked: 5

As well as Chris Eckles in Atlanta, GA who runs an AMW. You can look thru the archives in eformulacarnews.com F500 forum and find out a lot about autox setup.
    Your car is no longer good for road racing (time trials) as the main hoop sizes have been increased along with other safety mandates. It will make for a great autox car as a similar car just won the solo nat's (not AMW though).
    Here are the changes that will be needed:
    1. 8" wheels and 7.5" tires on the front - keep it under 55" max width
    2. Quicker steering ratio
    3. 4.5:1 final drive - somewhere in this range should work
    4. Hoosier R25A's are the best compound
    There are many other minor changes that you will learn about as you figure the car out.

I live in Atlanta and run the Atlanta events as well as other SEDIV events. Go to www.soloatlanta.com for our schedule and come run with us. Email me at jdmurphy47@aol.com

BTW, Scott Woodruff is a member on this forum.

Jim
    1984 DareDevil F500 F Mod #40

You can, however, run the car in Solo Trials, such as the one coming up at Gainesville Raceway in Gainesville, Florida February 14-15. We've done it the last few years. Lots of laps on a fun track. Maybe it's too soon (or too far) for you, but keep it in mind for next year. Here's a flyer -
    http://www.cfrsolo2.com/Flyers2009/2...ainesville.pdf

I have seen very FEW solo trials events put on - especially in the SEDIV. Autox is probably the best choice for this car and maybe a solo trial event when you can find one near you.

Jim

I certainly didn't mean to imply that there are a lot of Solo Trials in the SEDIV, (in fact, this is probably the only one), just that this car is perfectly legal for this event and that the event is a lot of fun.

Actually the car is, at least from a roll cage standpoint, legal for time trials or track trials. The required roll cage diameter for a track trials car of under 1000# is only 1"

The SEDiv has an entire series run every year starting with the Gainesville solo trials.
    Last edited by franman27; 02.06.09 at 3:42 PM.

Ever since Solo I was moved to road racing and renamed Time Trials it has been governed by the road racing rules - the GCR. Therefore, the GCR requirements apply including roll hoop diameters, etc. Thus, the stock 1989 Red Devil cannot run a Time Trial event but can run a Solo Trial which is governed by the Solo Rulebook.
    I hope that this clears up the confusion.

Jim

There is no confusion here, time trials has their own set of rules and if you run a car in solo class it can run with a 1" bar if it weighs less than 1000#

I emailed the SCCA for a clarification when I read the rules and this is the reply I received.

Leslie,

The time trials rules allow for a 1.00” x .060” roll hoop for level 3, track trial events

Jeremy Thoennes
    Technical Services Manager
    Sports Car Club of America
    PO Box 19400
    Topeka KS 66619
    (800) 770-2055
    ]jthoennes@scca.com

Thread Information