Contributing Member
    Liked: 10

Default SEDIV F600 rules

2009 Atlanta Region F600 Rules
    1. Definition, Purpose and Philosophy
    The purpose of this Regional class is to allow cars that conform to 2009 F500 rules
    (Section 9.1.1.E the 2009 GCR) to use a 600cc motorcycle engine and drive train to race
    and be evaluated with cars running other engine options in Section 9.1.1.E.14 of the
    GCR. Formula 600 is a Restricted Regional class of cars. Any allowable modifications,
    changes, or additions are stated herein and there are no exceptions. IF IN DOUBT,
    DON’T. Formula 600 will specifically be grouped with the F500 cars at 2009 Atlanta
    Region events
    2. Weight and Dimensions
    Minimum weight as qualified and raced, with driver, shall be 835 lbs for 4 stroke
    motorcycle engines up to 600cc. Dimensions shall conform GCR 9.1.1.E.2.
    3. Suspension
    Shall conform to GCR 9.1.1.E.3.
    4. Brakes
    Shall conform to GCR 9.1.1.E.4.
    5. Steering
    Shall conform to GCR 9.1.1.E.5.
    6. Transmission and Final Drive
    A. Rear wheel drive only is permitted.
    B. The final drive ratio is unrestricted. Internal transmission gears shall remain
    stock.
    C. Cars may use sequentially shifted motorcycle transmissions. Reverse gear is
    not required.
    D. All gear changes must be initiated by the driver manually. Any direct-acting
    electric solenoid shifters, air-shifters or similar devices are prohibited.
    Devices that allow pre-selected gear changes are prohibited
    E. The clutch engagement system shall be operated solely by driver input and
    shall be mechanical or hydraulic in nature. The clutch must be manually
    operated by the driver’s hands or feet and there shall be no operation of the
    clutch by any assisted method. The clutch assembly is otherwise
    unrestricted.
    F. The use of jackshafts to transmit power from the output sprocket to the rear
    axle is allowed.
    G. Final drive chain tensioners are allowed.
    7. Frame/Chassis
    Shall conform to GCR 9.1.1.E.7.
    8. Roll Cage
    Shall conform to GCR 9.1.1.E.8.
    9. Bodywork
    Shall conform to GCR 9.1.1.E.9. Cars running in this class shall display F6 Class
    Letters.
    10. Tires
    Shall conform to GCR 9.1.1.E.10.
    11. Wheels
    Shall conform to GCR 9.1.1.E.11.
    12. Ballast
    Shall conform to GCR 9.1.1.E.12.
    13. Fuel System and Tank
    The fuel system is unrestricted within the following limitations:
    A. Fuel Cell Vents: Fuel tank air vents shall be located at least 25cm to the rear
    of the cockpit.
    B. Fuel capacity: maximum 6.0 gallons.
    14. Engines
    A. Engines shall be motorcycle-based 4-cycle engines up to 600cc. Engines shall
    be mass produced by the following manufacturers: Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and
    Yamaha. The list of approved manufacturers may be modified by the CRB.
    B. All engine internals and compression ratio must remain stock. The competitor
    must present, on demand, an original factory manual for the engine to allow
    compliance verification. There shall be no modifications of any component of the
    engine unless specifically authorized in these rules.
    C. The stock ECU shall be used. The ECU fuel map may be changed. Devices
    that modify inputs to the ECU (e.g., Power Commander) can not be used. Standalone
    after market ECUs are not permitted.
    D. Turbochargers and superchargers are prohibited.
    E. Carburetion and fuel injection may be used. Fuel injection throttle bodies must
    be stock and unmodified for the model and year of the engine that is used. An
    adjustable fuel pressure regulator is allowed providing it performs no other
    function.
    F. Stepped exhaust headers are prohibited. The exhaust system and exhaust
    manifold are otherwise unrestricted, within SCCA safety regulations.
    G. Dry sump systems are prohibited. An Accusump or similar oiling assist
    systems is allowed. Any oil pan and/or baffling is permitted. The lubrication
    system is otherwise unrestricted.
    H. Oil coolers are unrestricted.
    I. The air inlet system is unrestricted at this time. However, the CRB may require
    the use of an inlet restrictor or restrictors at any time by publishing the
    requirements in FasTrack.
    J. Replacement of the stock camshaft chain tensioner with any other chain
    tensioner is allowed. The replacement chain tensioner must attach directly to the
    engine in the original chain tensioner position. There shall be no modifications to
    the engine to enable the use of the replacement chain tensioner.
    K. Replacement of the standard connecting rod fasteners with alternate fasteners
    is allowed as long as there are no modifications to the production connecting
    rods.
    L. The engine head gasket must be the thickness of the OEM gasket for the year
    and model of the engine.
    M. Camshafts and camshaft drive mechanisms cannot be modified or adjusted in
    any way unless specifically authorized in these rules.
    15. Chain/Belt Guards
    Shall conform to GCR 9.1.1.E.15.
    16. Cooling System and Radiator
    Shall conform to GCR 9.1.1.E.16.
    17. Safety Items
    Shall conform to GCR 9.1.1.E.17.
    18. Electrical System
    The electrical system is unrestricted within the following limitations:
    A. Self-starter: Cars shall be equipped with an on-board self-starter and an onboard
    power supply controlled by the driver while in a normal driving position.

Liked: 0

Thanks for posting this Ted. Looks like the proposed rules stated on this forum a while back which it seemed everyone could live with. The only EXCEPTION I could find was NOT allowing the use of a device such as the Power Commander or Bazzaz unit to modify the fuel map. But the sentence prior to that says the ECU fuel map may be modified. I'm confused.
    Lee Tilton
    1984 Zink F500/600cc power
    2003 SCCA Gulf Coast Region AP Class Champion (FFR Cobra)

Liked: 896

The rules now tentatively state that aftermarket devices will not be allowed for NOW. We want to keep costs as low as possible. It is possible to remap the existing units with the right software.

Again this is tentative while we test out the workings of the 600 engines in Regional competition.

On another note, we are VERY close to finalizing our rules proposal for the use of 600cc MC engines as alternative engines in F500. I think that nearly everyone will find that the rules proposal will be very functional. We will post the new rules proposal in a day or 2.

Thanks ... Jay Novak
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    The rules now tentatively state that aftermarket devices will not be allowed for NOW. We want to keep costs as low as possible. It is possible to remap the existing units with the right software.
    Jay, although I appreciate the desire to keep costs down, the statement quoted above does just the opposite.

In order to make my engine perform properly with my exhaust and intake mods, I now have to find and purchase the "right software", figure out how to use it, test the mapping on a dyno (hard to find around here), and hope the dyno results work in the real world (ram air effect).

OR

I could use my existing Bazzaz setup that I paid $600 for to adjust the fuel map in real world conditions.

Sounds like the latter is more cost effective.
    Lee Tilton

Liked: 896

Lee, I suspect that you are wrong that an aftermarket ECU modifiers is a MUST have.

We have checked with several engine builders that build engines for DSR & F1000. To my knowledge no one is using aftermarket ECU modifiers at all in F1000 & of the MANY DSR guys using MUCH modified engines only a very few are useing aftermarket add on ECUs. This is well over 100 racers with motorcycle engines that run on gasoline.

All of the Mini-Sprint engines use alchohol & therefore must use an aftermarket add on.

As an example, Glenn Cooper who has a NovaKar F1000 kit with our 4 into 1 headers & muffler as well as a very effective airbox, set the lap record at the ARRC with the STOCK ECU with ZERO MODS TO THE ECU.

That said, this is for a trial to see if it works. If it does not then we will change this and allow aftermarket ECU add ons. Your feedback is very important in that you may have the 1st car running.

Thanks ... Jay Novak
    Last edited by Jnovak; 01.22.09 at 9:58 AM.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Thanks Jay. I stand corrected - I was under the assumption that fuel map adjustments were a must for these motors (I read too much sales literature ).

In the interest of helping test these motors in F500, I will begin with no mods to the ECU. Once the bugs are worked out of the basic install, I will then mod the ECU and see what happens. Warning: my testing will be seat of the pants type of data for the most part.
    Lee Tilton

Liked: 202

Default Misleading Thread Title

Just for clarification, SEDIV as a whole has not (yet) recognized F600. So far only Atlanta Region has seen the light (), but others regions may follow soon.

If you will be attending an event and want to run a 600cc motorcycle drivetrain in a F500 chassis, make sure you check with the host region before showing up at the track.

Butch Kummer
    Competition Director
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Thread Information