Liked: 273

Default Edge PIR National Race Report

Hi All-
    Anyone interested here's a link to Vimeo with the first 4 or 5 laps of Sunday's PIR Double National. Sorry the camera quite on lap 4 or 5 when it ran out of memory otherwise you all would have gotten to see my wild spin.

We had a bad weekend....I had a horrible qualifying session. Im still learing this new car and we have a few issues to work out. I kept locking up my left front tire coming onto the oval, couldn't seem to find a balance. We ran right at the 1 min. per lap mark but just couldn't get sub 1 min. I know I'm capable of a 58 around this place just need to work out some things.

On lap 13 I blew my right rear tire and had one of the most violent spins in my years of racing. I didn't hit anyting, thank god because the dude in the Radical was on my arse the lap before...might have been ugly.

Oh, met Mark Jaremko for the first time...what a super nice guy. Dustin, Mark, myself and Tony went over to Dustin's shop and got to see the new P.R.W. car....looks like a Dalara F3 in many ways...it'll be a winner if he ever finishes it! Sorry Dustin had to put that jab in...it's all good.

We will be at the Fontana National this coming weekend, I hope to see some of the NorCal Stohr FB's there.

Link to Vimeo of first 5 or so laps of the race including start

http://vimeo.com/2878854?pg=transcod...il&sec=2878854

Gary Hickman
    Last edited by ghickman; 01.20.09 at 10:43 AM.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 1

Gary,

Would you care to comment on the blown rear tire? That has never happened to me in a formula car. Any ideas regarding the cause and/or preventive measures?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Ross View Post
    Gary,

Would you care to comment on the blown rear tire? That has never happened to me in a formula car. Any ideas regarding the cause and/or preventive measures?
    Rick-
    It was late last night when I posted that, what I should have said was a LARGE puncture. When it lost air it was as if it had exploded. When the car spun as a result it rolled the tire right off the entire rim. I had just come off the oval when this happened and I was at speed.

Something I need to point out to all the FB guys. If you spin make sure you depress the clutch in time, once the car begins rolling backwards it's all over for the starter motor. It spins it in reverse at high rpm and it destroys itself....it's a function of the starter engaging device. I'll post some pics. of the starter when we get it off the car.

Gary
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Gary,

Sorry you guys had bad luck...

I think what you will find inside that starter is nothing but dust...I think the word to describe what happens to the starters when they get turned backwards is.........Pulverized!

Matt Conrad

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Conrad View Post
    Gary,

Sorry you guys had bad luck...

I think what you will find inside that starter is nothing but dust...I think the word to describe what happens to the starters when they get turned backwards is.........Pulverized!

Matt Conrad
    Thanks Matt....Geo. Dean described it as "it will sound like a Castinet when you shake it".

Gary
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 51

Default Edge F1000

Gary,
    It was nice to meet you and Tony in Phoenix, next time we cross paths I'm buying !!

mj

Default Edge spin aftermath

Mark
    It was cool hangin out with a multi-time National Champion, you've got my respect. The F1000 class will certainly benefit from having you involved. We'll be up in your area in the Spring for the Portland and Seattle races, see you then.

Ok, so I promissed to post some pics. of what a GSXR1000 starter motor looks like after it's spun backwards at maybe 30,000 rpm (or at least I think its a 5:1 ratio).

Anyhow for all F1000 drivers, if you can react fast enough while spinning remember to depress the clutch or you just bought a $150 starter (used cost). For those that watched my video of the opening laps of the race see the tight turn out off the oval onto the infield this is where I spun...Mark mentioned the track looked intimidating well it sure does in this spot....thanks to a LARGE CUT in my tire which started it all.

Gary
    Last edited by ghickman; 03.16.09 at 9:38 PM. Reason: need picture space
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 0

Gary,

Nice track footage! Tony shot me the link. Man that wall at full speed comes up fast. I think I will stick to rock crawling. Bummer deal on the starter, it would take a magic wand to fix that. Give a shout when you come up to Portland, it would be great to see you and Tony.

Mark Hawley

Liked: 553

When I was first learning about motorcycle powered cars I heard the starter motor warning from a few sources, probably from lots of DSR experience. I was also told to carry a spare starter with me.

But, is it not a good idea for all spinning cars to immediately push in the clutch pedal, regardless of the drive train? When wouldn't you want to do that? The only time I can think of is like when you see a NASCAR driver spinning out, but with his foot in the gas to keep it off the wall. But, if you tried to do that in a bike powered car, no problem because the tires are spinning in the normal direction.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    When I was first learning about motorcycle powered cars I heard the starter motor warning from a few sources, probably from lots of DSR experience. I was also told to carry a spare starter with me.

But, is it not a good idea for all spinning cars to immediately push in the clutch pedal, regardless of the drive train? When wouldn't you want to do that? The only time I can think of is like when you see a NASCAR driver spinning out, but with his foot in the gas to keep it off the wall. But, if you tried to do that in a bike powered car, no problem because the tires are spinning in the normal direction.
    Russ
    My experiece was to always go for the clutch no matter what I was driving. I thought I would put this out on this forum since there appears to be several FC to FB conversions being done and these folks my not know about the starter issue. I knew about it and still didn't get the clutch in fast enough, guess I'm getting old and my reflex action isn't what it used to be.

Gary
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Yes, the old saying is, "both feet in when you spin", clutch & brake. That way you don't end up rolling backwards right into the path of another car.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 553

Yea, sometimes it's hard to do the right thing when you're trying to save your life. :-).

I do really hope that schools are stressing the both feet in method. Like what FormulaSuper is talking about, I've seen a lot of unnecessary contact due to cars rolling backwards and unpredictably.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by ghickman View Post
    We'll be up in your area in the Spring for the Portland and Seattle races, see you then. Gary
    Hysterically Cal. drivers have come up and run the Seattle double national then layed over for the Rose Cup National in Portland. But, not this year. WATCH your scheduling and plans.

You can do the same thing but reversed order in 2009:

May 8 to 10 is a Portland National

May 23 to 25 is the Seattle Double National

The Rose Cup weekend is a REGIONAL classes only.

If Belling, Oberndorf and Palmer show up, sounds like we could have 5 or more FB's on the grid in the Northwest nationals this year. Fun to watch for sure. BUT, I for one will miss Mark Jaremko in that D/SR. Just won't seem right seeing his tires
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 51

Default Clutch in to win

I thought it was "When in doubt both feet out".......or was it "When in doubt gas it"...? I always get those two confused.

Rick,
    Thanks for the heads up on the schedule change, its a shame the Rose Cup will host no national racing for 2009.

mj

Liked: 3

Great video but I would have liked to see one more lap, or at least the start of it...

Enjoyed meeting new members from the SW- sure beats our weather back home. Hope I didn't drive you crazy with all the questions Gary. Beautiful job on the car.

Glad you kept it off the wall!!

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by skl48 View Post
    Great video but I would have liked to see one more lap, or at least the start of it...

Enjoyed meeting new members from the SW- sure beats our weather back home. Hope I didn't drive you crazy with all the questions Gary. Beautiful job on the car.

Glad you kept it off the wall!!

Stu
    Stu
    It was my pleasure to answer your questions..... Thanks for the nice compliments on our car....and yes it was good to keep it out of the wall. Sorry the video was so short, the spin would have been epic.

Before you head off to the ice and snow you should consider renting Dustin's 07 car. Last I heard it was real reasonable to rent.....I believe there may be some Reg /drivers schools coming up soon at either WSIR, Buttonwillow or Firebird. If I were just getting into this I'd just consider renting Dustin's 07 for the remainder of the season....and I think Jaremko may have left some rubber on a couple of sets of tires for you.

Gary
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 3

I'd never get into that car right after Jaremko- that would be WAY too embarassing, and a blow to anyone's ego.....

Stu,

It was nice to meet you last weekend...I hope you did enjoy the weather we ordered up for your visit...

I think the proper description for me is HUMBLED...My absolute best lap time at PIR was a 1:00.489 in the exact car MJ was flogging around consistently in the mid 58's...I was pretty happy too...guess I have much work to do in the driving department.

Matt Conrad

Thread Information