Liked: 190

Default New FST's in the works

Just an update to show you some new cars that are under construction in the FST world.

The Womer EF-1

Jim Nash's Mission

Todd Martin's project

Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 67

As a follow up to the photos Bill posted of the Mission FST I thought I would update it a bit. The unfinished buck shown has been completed and delivered to Hurley Racing Products where Mike Devins has gone over it, squared it up and put the finishing touches to it before he makes the molds and parts. I had planned to make the parts myself but finally came to my senses and decided to have a pro do the work. Mike's work in DSR and with the Vestal FF was enough to convince me that this was the way to go. I hope to see parts in a few weeks to meet a late April test date.

Jim Nash

Liked: 0

puuuurty

Bodywork update…

Mike has completed the parts and shipped them. With any luck I should be mounting them to the chassis over the weekend. The combined weight of the 4 parts shown is about 26 lb. The side panels have the required kevlar layers. I think Mike's use of a core material where appropriate is the key to the light but rigid parts.

The last shot is of Mike’s crew dismantling the buck. He said it took all of 20 minutes. I don’t want to even try to estimate the time I had in building it.

Jim

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

FYI the pictures that Jim posted were of the parts prior to having the primer touched up a few days before they shipped. I am posting a few pictures of the final product as it shipped.

Should simply require a light sanding and a coat of paint.

Great looking work as usual, Mike.
    Ken

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Jim Nash gets credit for the the design and original work on the buck - I just finished the buck and then made the molds and the parts.

Here is a shot of the body fitted. It still needs to be fastened to the chassis etc, etc. I also have work to do on a bolster around the back of the cockpit opening and cooling scoops but still hope to test late this month or early May.

Overall the parts turned out great and fit just about as I expected. Working with Mike at Hurley Racing Products was a pleasure. Having the work done 750 miles away I expected some difficulties with communication. However, Mike was great at sending photos and sketches so that we could discuss design details etc over the phone and keep the work going. Progress updates were frequent and the delivery dates and cost targets were met. As far as I'm concerned, you can't ask for much more than that.

Jm Nash

Jim,

The car looks great! Really think it is turning out fantastic for a first time build. Hope to see you with it at BFR in a few weeks. I'll bet it will look better in person.
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 1417

That's a really great looking car. I'd have to say, one of the nicest looking FSTs out there, for sure.

Nice work!

Contributing Member quartzracer's Avatar
    Liked: 5

Default FF Body

I may be off base here, but wouldn't this make a good start for a FF re-body? Nice work both Jim and Mike.

Quartz,

We (FST guys) get the "What make of FF is that?" comment all the time. That was part of our goal as a class, to make the cars look a lot more like FF. In general, I think our wheelbase is too short to fit most FF chassis, but I bet Jim would be happy to sell a body or two. My bet is that Jim will be asked by a few people to build them an FST car. The car just looks too nice for only one of them.
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 04.11.09 at 9:42 PM.
    Bill Bonow

Here are some updates. The front is pretty much done. Shock mounts are in place including rockers. Steering is in place. Body is mounted. Next is placement of the transmission and engine.

Bill is probably right about the wheelbase and adapting the body for a FF.

Since I have molds, parts can be made available to anyone interested in building a car using the Mission FST bodywork. After I get a race or two in this season I hope to find the time to create some relavent cross sections of the assembled body that can be used for DIY builders to design within.

Thanks to those with good words on how the car is turning out. I think the FST rules create fertile ground for anyone interested in bulding a new, entry level race car.

Jim Nash

Default Stolen Spy Photo

Here is another photo of JEN's new ride. We're all hopeful that it will be out at the end of May at Grattan for the first two rounds of the US FST Series.

Bill Bonow

that is possibly the nicest looking vee i have ever seen. please keep it in those colors! just add black number with a red outline to match the wheel stripe!

It kind of reminds me of the storm fv http://view2drive.com/storm.html

Whats the little thing poking out of the body work jsut above the beam? is it to hookup a pushrod?

Quote Originally Posted by IDSRacing View Post
    Whats the little thing poking out of the body work jsut above the beam? is it to hookup a pushrod?
    Yep, the shocks are pushrod actuated. However, we can't call them "vee" in this part of the world without causing trouble.
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 04.29.09 at 5:08 PM.
    Bill Bonow

Quote Originally Posted by IDSRacing View Post
    Looks like a pushrod bellcrank. Beautiful car, for sure.

Jim needs to build a few more...

Ian, Yep, those are the bellcranks for the shocks. Thanks for the link to the Storm site. I'd seen a couple pictures of the car a while ago but not the site.

I need to take some shots this weekend for the homolagation papers so I'll post a couple new ones soon.

Bill, I had not noticed the shark likeness but you're right.

Jim

Very nice work Mr. Nash... ...the frame looks a little Van Diemenish ;-)

When do you fire-up the production line?

Brooke

Oh ye, sorry bill! just cant get with the formula first name. reminds me of those horrible transverse engine formula firsts from the uk in the 80s.

Default A beauty

Wow Jim

Just a great job on the body design. It’s like a sexy babe in a bikini next to a gaggle of dowdy grandmothers in housedresses.

Can’t wait to see it at Grattan.

Liked: 40

Default Good Luck to Jim Nash

Met Jim Friday morning. He said he was getting ready to go to Gratten. Took some time off of work to get things done. I hope all goes well. Getting out in a new car is always exciting and can be a real challenge. Car looks terrific in the pictures.
    I would rather be making racing news than reading it. Living the dream out here in the middle of farm country

I'm telling you, Jim, call me when you decide you want to sell this one and build another one. I love this car... it even looks better in person.

Thread Information