Contributing Member
    Liked: 3

Default Banshee

Is a Banshee FST legal
    Thanks.

Liked: 190

Default Banshee

Don,

Unfortunatly, the FRCCA Banshee BTF 1600 is a completely different car and is not compliant to SCCA FST rules. I see that they still advertise it for $13K "ready to race" on the FRCCA webite. http://www.frcca.com/modules.php?name=Banshee

I've put a number of SCCA compliant/homologated cars together and my bet is that the $13k number is not updated. Either that or someone is heavily subsidizing the cost (parts & labor of love).
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Contributing Member

Default performance difference

Bill.
    Just curious as to the differences between the two. I know the wheels and tires, Probably brakes, shocks, track and wheelbase, The motors are the same correct? How do they compare in performance? lap times if known.
    Thanks
    Don

Liked: 4

I beleive the $13,000 price is correct. I also know there is at least one for sale, used.

The Banchee is quicker then an FST. It is equalized to perform on par with a CF. In fact, I belive the Banchee won the FRCCA Sportsman Championship this year, as driven by John Heckman. This car beat your typicial contigent of VDs, Lolas, PRS, etc...

Contact Formula Haus thru www.frcca.com for add info. You can also contact John Heckman, his info is on the site.

They are stout roomy cars and can probably accomidate a 250 lbs driver.
    Last edited by racer27; 01.16.09 at 12:04 PM.
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Contributing Member

Default FST

Thanks.
    first of all I did not intend for this to be an ad for the Banshee. I was just wondering if a banshee could be restricted some how to run in FST. Looking at how other classes have had trouble with equalization, seems unlikely and unpractical to do in this case. Just thinking out loud.
    Thanks again.
    Don

Liked: 190

Don,

Your correct, the only basic component similar is the VW 1600 engine. The Banshee is tuned to put out 110 hp and the FST is at 85 hp. Equallization would not be difficult with the engine, but the rest of the car would be a whole different story.

I've often wondered why the Banshee wasn't more successful with the price of a new car at $13k and performance of a CFF. They have been around for the better part of 10 years and only 2 or 3 exist? Go figure.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Contributing Member

Default CFF

Thanks guys. I think I'll go stir the pot on in the CFF board.
    Don

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    I've often wondered why the Banshee wasn't more successful with the price of a new car at $13k and performance of a CFF. They have been around for the better part of 10 years and only 2 or 3 exist? Go figure.
    Bill, the Banshee's main and forward roll hoops are not GCR compliant. IIRC, they are 1.25" OD with .120" wall thickness. Plenty stout, I am confident, but still not compliant. A few years ago I spoke with the designer to urge him to make the cars compliant to SCCA rules, but I don't know if he changed the specs. Not being compliant makes it hard to sell out of one's own back yard. Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Contributing Member

Default Thanks

Thank you Stan. I can stop thinking about this now.

Thread Information