Liked: 2

Default Using a dead pedal

All,

Do you find the dead pedal in your car useful?
    I've come from a roadracing shifter kart background where the pedal is not available and have removed the one in my FB and am wondering if I'm missing something here...

Thanks!

My driver finds it to be indispensible.

Liked: 201

I think they are nice to have in the cars that they will fit. If a car can't accomodate one then sometimes a heel stop can be useful.

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar

Default No room.

In my car for one but I did mount a piece of square tube on the floor at the base of the Clutch pedal that I can brace my left heel against without putting any pressure on the clutch petal itself.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Quote Originally Posted by ReynardF1000 View Post
    All,

Do you find the dead pedal in your car useful?
    I've come from a roadracing shifter kart background where the pedal is not available and have removed the one in my FB and am wondering if I'm missing something here...

Thanks!

If you came from shifter or even non shift karts, then there is no need for a dead pedal. Most likely your left foot will be working the brake pedal. I still can't figure out why anybody would use the clutch with a dog style gearbox.

Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 126

I've always used a heel stop... 1" X 1" X 1/8" thick alum angle.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

It's one more place to gather feedback on what the car is doing.

Liked: 39

I can't imagine driving without one; I'm pushing it through the floor on every right turn. However, speaking with a racing buddy on this topic recently, he said if I had a seat which is long enough down the legs and fitted correctly I wouldn't need it. Food for thought.

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar

Default Seat fit.

Very true. Since having a Pro made seat I find I use the heel stop a lot less. A well fitted seat keeps you in position better than straining to do it in a sloppy fitting seat.

Liked: 597

When I first got the Crossle 32F years ago, I was confused at first to see 5 pedals down there..........dead, clutch, left foot brake, right foot brake, gas. It was just too much with my size 11 1/2 so the left brake was sacrificed. The VD FC foot box is so narrow there's no room or need for left brake or a dead pedal, so the left foot heel rest is great. At first I riveted it in.....which didn't last long........broad flat washers and counter sunk short taper 10-32 works. The trick is finding just the right sweet spot where it goes........a little too short or long gets annoying and I really don't want to turn my belly pan into swiss cheese.

It's clearly a matter of personal preferance, as evidenced by the responses above. I find I really like/need the dead pedal to brace myself under braking or in some corners. Otherwise I'm tempted to push against the clutch pedal.

I did discover that the placement of the dead pedal makes a big difference. When I changed cars earlier this year I had some trouble shifting gears in the new one. I thought I'd forgotten how to drive until I figured out that the new car's dead pedal was simply a bit farther away than my old one and I was unconsciously pressing the clutch without realizing it. A quick adjustment of the dead pedal and I was all better.

Thread Information