Liked: 1

Default Suspension "reducer" bushings?

My Swift DB4 utilizes shouldered "reducer" bushings in various suspension rod ends. They are used where the attachment bolt is of a smaller diameter than the rod end bore. I am seeking several of these with a 1/4" ID and a 5/16" OD. Can anyone recommend a source? Thanks.

Liked: 23

Ray Germaine at Protech has them. On the DB6, if you can tell him the mounting point, he can tell you the size you need from the top of his head...

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Tim,

Thanks! Now why didn't I think of that.....if anyone would have them, it would be Ray. I'll give him a call today. Thanks again.

Liked: 7

Brad Baytos at Primus parts. His are made for a Van Diemen so you may have to be machined some. Also try Truechoice shocks or someone that sells shocks.

It turns out Ray had exactly what I needed for a very reasonable price. Thanks to Tim and Don for the great info.

Liked: 45

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Ross View Post
    My Swift DB4 utilizes shouldered "reducer" bushings in various suspension rod ends. They are used where the attachment bolt is of a smaller diameter than the rod end bore. I am seeking several of these with a 1/4" ID and a 5/16" OD. Can anyone recommend a source? Thanks.
    My FE (essentially a Van Diemen) using the same thing in many locations. Is there any engineering reason these bushings are used, other than to use a smaller bolt?

Liked: 23

So the smaller bolt is the failure point, reducing damage of other parts hopefully.

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

I always thought it was so you could use a stronger rod end, without having to use a giant (heavy) bolt.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

You can buy those bushings in several sizes from Aircraft Spruce.

Liked: 2

You also may want to review "High Misalignment Rod End Bearings" in "Prepare to Win" by Carroll Smith. The angle of motion more than doubles.

Contributing Member

I just wanted to post an update to this. I was going to replace a couple of these on my db1, and I realized that the aircraft spruce parts are actually oilite. They do not specify this fact in their print catalog, only on their website. Quite a shame since they are dirt cheap.

I'll be calling Ray up.

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Top Hats-

-is what they are sometimes called. Also some are hardened to help them stand up to abuse. The thickness of the "rim" is important as it helps to allow more angle of the ball rotation in the rod end before it starts to bind up.

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by D.T. Benner View Post
    -is what they are sometimes called. Also some are hardened to help them stand up to abuse. The thickness of the "rim" is important as it helps to allow more angle of the ball rotation in the rod end before it starts to bind up.
    Any sources for the hardened ones? This is what I am after.

Thread Information