Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Hmmmm, 1000cc 4cyl, pretty cool idea

Seriously... Those dudes were fearless.
    Last edited by glenn cooper; 01.27.11 at 10:10 PM.

Liked: 0

Wow! Is that an F3 car? Do you know where this was taken? Not sure I'd fancy 60's chassis/tyre technology, wet road and trees.

Liked: 151

At least you have all of those trees to keep you from getting too far from the track.

Liked: 553

Coincidentally, I was looking at the SEDiv 2009 schedule earlier today and wondering if it might be fun to do a hill climb. There's one in May near Ashville, NC. The course is about two minutes long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aJJoUMSQhw
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 11
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 896

Default Hill climbs

And to think I used to do some serious hillclimbs. I scraped the sides off of a couple cars in my youth, but no more. Can you imagine doing 1000 miles of roads like that or worse in the Mille Miglia or the Targa Florio?

Thanks for the video. Jay Novak
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

You want "Olde Skool"? Google: Shelsley Walsh and check out the archives. Been there (spectate only). What an eclectic mix of old and new!
    Ken
    Ken

Default No Thanks!!!

Pretty scary stuff you guys posted there.

Ben(jamin') Cooper: It IS F3 from days of old, got it off a link from Sportsracer.net, pic #49 I think.

Balls or crazy or stupid? Perhaps a mixture of a 3!

GC

Liked: 13

Default Hillclimbs

Aw, shucks. You guys can do 150mph side by side but, the thought of 100mph on a 2 lane public road by yourself is crazy.

www.pahillclimb.org

Rich

Default Ummmmmmmm...

Well I meant that in a nice way!
    GC

Default Chimney Rock rocked!

We need to bring back the Chimney Rock Hillclimb! what a blast!!

Liked: 13

GC,

It is ok! I doubt a FB could keep up to an Indy car, Bowland's Winged A mod car,or a 400hp winged turbo Rotary Reynard F2000.

Rich

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by rickjohnson356 View Post
    We need to bring back the Chimney Rock Hillclimb! what a blast!!
    I agree! The Chimney Rock Hillclimb was the very first SCCA event I attended as a mountain park camping spectator back in 1975...76...77? (I know, I know!) and I promised myself that someday I would race up that mountain in another future event.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Contributing Member bryancohnracing's Avatar
    Liked: 16

Default Do it Do it Do it!!!

I ran the Pagoda Hillclimb in 2005, driving a borrowed SM (I know, don't hold it against me!)

It was a top 5 racing experience for me, no question.

The various formula car guys I met were an interesting combination of WAY serious to simple enjoyment of racing. The hard core guys had tire warmers for example. They were bloody quick all the same!

At my best I was about 4 seconds off the pace, but then it was a borrowed car and the owner set a new record for SM up the hill that day.

This shouldn't surprise anyone sicne I also set in the Navi seat of a rally car....

If you ever want to experience racing as it once was, running a hillclimb is your best bet.
    Bryan Cohn
    bryancohnracing@yahoo.com
    417-540-2595 text

Liked: 159

Default tree lined race tracks

In the mid 60's when I first started racing in scca, there were lots of tracks that were tree lined. The midwest division had Lake Garnet, Lake Afton,MidAmerica Raceways, and others. They all had lots of trees to hit. Of course a hay bail or two was there to cushion the blow!

I cut a limb off a large spruce tree with an Formula 5000 car on one off track airborne adventure.

Lake Garnet had a one lane rock walled bridge over a portion of the lake which was at the end of a long wide straight. Of course you had to make a sharp right turn onto the bridge! Cars often ended up in the lake! Fun days.....and yes it was stupid!

Bryan Cohn may be old enough to remember them. Makes me realize I'm an old dude!

Jerry Hodges

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
    In the mid 60's when I first started racing in scca, there were lots of tracks that were tree lined. The midwest division had Lake Garnet, Lake Afton,MidAmerica Raceways, and others. They all had lots of trees to hit. Of course a hay bail or two was there to cushion the blow! Jerry Hodges
    Jerry,

If you want to experience some of that "old time" racing, make the western tour and come play with us at Pacific Raceway. A FOR SURE throw back track to the 60's and 70's. REALLY fun place
    Last edited by rickb99; 09.11.12 at 3:30 PM.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

My father was a proffesional racing photographer in the 60's and 70's and this is one of his shots. Taken at the 13km post at the Nurburgring this is Jo Siffert in a Cooper Maserati. I grew up with 80's F1 (upon which I look back with misty eyes!) but the older I get the more I wish I had been around in his era. Still, I'm lucky enough to have an extensive library to look through!
    Last edited by Brands; 06.05.11 at 8:40 AM.

Liked: 1397

Talk to the guys who used to race at Wenstville, MO. track. That track looked a lot like the hill climb courses.

Default Cool

I see the Cooper shot is # 43 on the roll. Nice...

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by Brands View Post
    My father was a proffesional racing photographer in the 60's and 70's and this is one of his shots. Taken at the 13km post at the Nurburgring this is Jo Siffert in a Cooper Maserati. I grew up with 80's F1 (upon which I look back with misty eyes!) but the older I get the more I wish I had been around in his era. Still, I'm lucky enough to have an extensive library to look through!
    They were racers!

Thanks ... Jay Novak
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 79

I grew up at hillclimbs, my old man, Paul, used to do them. Amazing stuff. Shelsey Walsh, Prescott, Harewood, Loton Park, my dad held the record there for quite a while, Gurston Down, Doune, I had some great weekends growing up at these places.

The thing I love about hillclimbing is where else can you put a formula 1 engine in a Formula 3 car and go and see what it has, and all the time, you're racing against yourself and the clock, you can always go faster!!!!!! One of my particular favorites is this one......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11687...eature=related

But the outright speed is shown by this...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl_EU...eature=related

If you're ever over there you need to go and see one of these events, Its amazing.
    Williams Racing Developments Inc
    704 658 0940 www.willrace.com

WE HAVE MOVED...... 503 Performance Road, Mooresville, NC, 28115

Liked: 11

Default Hill Climbs strong in SE DIV

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Coincidentally, I was looking at the SEDiv 2009 schedule earlier today and wondering if it might be fun to do a hill climb. There's one in May near Ashville, NC. The course is about two minutes long.

Here is the SE DIV TT & Hill Climb site with the 2010 Schedule ---> http://www.sccattse.org/

As for the WolfRidge event, I tried it in 2008 & found the jump 1/2 way up course (1:10 sec) was too large to avoid. My car nearly leaves the ground, only to crash down on the belly pan, so I'd rather not abuse my Reynard like that.

The SE DIV TT/HC crowd is a genteel bunch. Escaping the summer heat is big part of the appeal to me. Temps up in the Mountains rarely reach mid-80's in the middle of the day, vs. 98+ elsewhere.

However, the Eagles Nest Hill Climb July 31/Aug 1st in Banner Elk, NC is set in newer community and the road is (by comparison) billard table smooth. Just wait for your tires to heat up;-)........my little inside joke (see other video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz6V2RuT5eg
    That's John Finger 2009 King of the Hill in his HC Special (400hp Reynard) in front of me at the start.

I'll be returning in 2010.
    Last edited by Revs2-12k; 06.11.12 at 7:31 PM.
    Working hard to enhance my Carbon Fiber footprint....
    2011 Stohr F1000
    www.Area81Racing.com

Thread Information