Liked: 123

Default Canadian car rules and acceptability thread

There should a thread for Canadian racers to ask questions about if their cars will meet the rules for acceptability in running in this event. I have a few...

First, my cars are fully CASC and OFFC legal.\\

Do I need a foot crush structure on a 1977 Club Ford T440 or a Restricted Regional RF85 - not required per CASC rules.

Do I need forward facing roll bar braces? again not required for CASC.

Doesn't affect my car, but Canadian FFord rules allow aluminium dual piston (like the LD-20 replacement caliper from AP RAcing) brake calipers. Will cars so equipped be OK.

We don't have a two year rule on SFI seat belts, just a five year seat belt rule across the board. OK?

We don't require on-board fire extinguishers.

Other people probably have other questions, this is all I can think of off the top of my head.

Thanks, Brian

Liked: 7

Default Rules

Arms restraints not required in CASC or FSAQ but YES in the US.....
    J-Guy

Liked: 106

From Kevin Yaghoubi at SCCA:

'Yes you will be able to compete at all SCCA events with an ASN logbook. And yes, you would have to meet the driver and membership requirements.'

From the SCCA GCR - 9.2.1.D:

"ASN Canada FIA Vehicle History Logbooks shall be accepted at all SCCA events."

Although, I guess this doesn't really answer the question about things like different calipers, etc. Just means that we don't have to homologate our cars to get an SCCA logbook, which would require meeting all current GCR safety stuff (roll bar braces, crush box, etc).

I'm not sure on this, but I believe a CASC logbook is the same as an ASN logbook.

Gary
    Gary Tholl
    #24 BlurredVisionRacing

A CASC logbook is an ASN logbook, since CASC is under ASN/FIA in Canada. So the log book isn't the issue. the issue is more compliance with technical regulations that SCCA has that are different from CASC. I'm looking for a confirmation that I have to spend a couple of thousand extra dollars to attend this event to make my cars fully compliant with SCCA technical and scrutineering rules.

Brian

Liked: 77

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    There should a thread for Canadian racers to ask questions about if their cars will meet the rules for acceptability in running in this event. I have a few...
    First, if you go back and read post #6 from June 30, 2007, Mike Rand wrote:
    If you can run in the Monoposto Vintage (1969 – 1974) race the car need not be to full SCCA GCR, but to run in the CF or FF races SCCA license and GCR legal car are required.

You seem to have a car not updated and possibly too "new" for Monoposto.

Any car accepted into the Vintage Ford race does not need to have an SCCA Logbook nor does the driver need an SCCA license, but the driver must be licensed by a recognized Vintage or Historic organization.

Basically, we want everyone to be able to take part and will bend over backwards to find a place and accomodate you and the car. In other words, we'll find a place.

The Vintage Ford race will however have treaded tires required, but then I, and others, are running Dunlops in CF already.
    So, you should contact Mike and see what, if any accommodations can be made for your car. If you are not allowed to run in the Monoposto Vintage group, then here are the answers to your questions as required by the GCR.

First, my cars are fully CASC and OFFC legal.

Do I need a foot crush structure on a 1977 Club Ford T440 or a Restricted Regional RF85 - not required per CASC rules.
    If your CASC logbook was issued prior to 1986, you are exempt from this requirement.

Do I need forward facing roll bar braces? again not required for CASC.
    Yes, your car must meet this requirement.

Doesn't affect my car, but Canadian FFord rules allow aluminium dual piston (like the LD-20 replacement caliper from AP RAcing) brake calipers. Will cars so equipped be OK.
    No.

We don't have a two year rule on SFI seat belts, just a five year seat belt rule across the board. OK?
    No.

We don't require on-board fire extinguishers.
    This is required.

Dave

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

In an attempt to either clear things up, or perhaps further muddy the water, we want to let folks know that Monoposto has agreed to run their FF70 class, basically Club Fords through 1981 with at least one end outboard, in the same race with their VFF pre-1973 cars. There will be a split start/grid with the Vintage cars in front as they are the real focus of that race, just as the CF cars will be the first group in a split start/grid CF/Regional FF race as the CF cars are the focus of that group.
    FF70 rules are to be found on the Monoposto website, www.monopostoracing.com. This accomodation is so we can include, as an example, a 1976 UK FF that has not been updated per SCCA GCR but also is to "new" to be a Vintage FF under Monoposto rules.
    Our desire is to be as inclusive as we can and run safe races with a lot of Formula Fords of all ages. We thank Monoposto for their assistance in this and we believe that this will accomodate many cars otherwise left out.
    Like Brian Evans Lola T440......
    While Dave Gomberg has chimed in on things like belts, extinguishers, forward facing roll bar braces, and he is correct as far as the main CF or FF races are concerned, within the Monoposto race for their VFF and CF classes Monoposto rules will apply.
    I am not about to get into the alternate brake caliper discussion. Don't ask, don't tell, it seems to me.

So to quarantee that I, we, confuse many people, I propose we designate the various classes and races as follows so when questions come up they can be asked within the context of exactly which class with exactly which race group.
    Please note, I have not discussed this with Steve Beeler or the rest of the organizing committee, so this is subject to change.

--Race A Formula Fords for all SCCA GCR logbooked FF cars and Nationally Licensed drivers.

--Race B-1 Club Fords as defined by the committee for this event in other posts that I am not about to try to recreate here, go look it up
    --Race B-2 Formula Fords defined as SCCA GCR legal and logbooked cars with Regionally Licensed drivers, or other alternate licenses as defined in the GCR.

--Race C-1 Vintage Formula Fords as defined by Monoposto, essentially first generation pre-1973 cars, run to Monoposto preparation rules
    --Race C-2 Club Fords as defined by Monoposto, essentially Club Fords through 1981 with at least one end outboard suspension, prepared to Monoposto FF70 rules.

For Races A and B the fact that an entrant may have a CASC issued logbook even though the car is not compliant with the GCR means that it has a legal logbook but the car is not compliant andtherefore it must run in a different race group.

In the hard to imagine instance of a 1982 or later car that is not SCCA GCR compliant regarding the braces and dash hoop and extinguisher etc, if this exists, well, I guess it will make an interesting display item......If that means Brian Evans VD RF85 must have an extinguisher and belts within SCCA's guidlines, so be it, because it fits no where else but in Race A or Race B-2 , both of which require SCCA legal cars.
    His T440 certainly fits nicely in Race C-2 as a Monoposto CF.
    So Brian, I guess you don't need to spend thousands of dollars after all.

Does this help or hurt ? It is likly to be edited and ammended as time goes on.
    Last edited by Michael Rand; 12.16.08 at 5:14 PM.

Liked: 23

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand View Post
    I am not about to get into the alternate brake caliper discussion. Don't ask, don't tell, it seems to me.
    Don't ask, don't tell, don't win with them then no one will care...
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

I think I understand, which scares the heck out of me! The RF85 will need a crush box and forward braces and a fire extinguisher. It was sunning on a beach in brazil in 85 so the earliest log book I have started in 1992. No particular problem, except fitting a fire system in - not a lot of room in there! T440 can go as is - it is compliant with vintage F70, or I can add a crush box and forward braces and it could be a CF.

the tube and the aluminium are already in the shop, all I need are 30 or 40 hours and I'm golden. And a magic fire system that takes up no room...

Brian

Liked: 1

Default Thanks Mike

Sounds good! A little paint on the aluminum head and I will be monoposto FF70 legal. And people were concerned about track time??

Tony

Thread Information