Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

Default for fun....why no stickers ??

Just for fun !! Am I missing something here but why do most the formula cars in the New England Region have very few, if any , logo stickers. When I see pictures of other Regions the cars are plastered with sponsers, names, product logo's , and colorful designs. Is this the older sports car clubs conservative style or what. ???? Kevin

Liked: 3

My dad's philosophy always was, "if they didn't pay for the space, they don't get the space."

I had to pay to use their products, I'm not going to give them free advertising on top of it.

Liked: 157

Kevin, I never really noticed that before, but you are definitely right! And we are definitely one of the guilty ones with no stickers. Personally, I think it is a matter of "less is more" in many cases. The only stickers we run are those required by SCCA with the exception of our Apexspeed.com sticker.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1907

Quote Originally Posted by JHaydon View Post
    My dad's philosophy always was, "if they didn't pay for the space, they don't get the space."

I had to pay to use their products, I'm not going to give them free advertising on top of it.

Exactly !
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 10

I agree with JHaydon! If Hoosier only requires two stickers for a set of tires, why put three? If I don't expect to win any tires, I don't want any stickers at all. One day, when I am famous for my driving (), I want a potential sponsor to look at my car and say "Hey, there's an awful lot of empty space on that car. . ."

Others seem to delight in covering their cars with stickers, I don't know why.

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisInAtlanta; 11.14.08 at 3:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Liked: 201

That DB1 is a beautiful looking car!

I know a lot of guys in karting (myself included when I was there) would want to plaster the karts with stickers to look sponsored.....I guess as we grow older we realize it is better to BE sponsored than to look sponsored and if you don't actually have a sponsor then leaving the car blank is sexy.

Liked: 610

Default Car stickers

Sometimes, in the distant past, I would use product stickers, to cover-up paint issues, usually related to an on-track incident, at least until winter when it then could be properly repaired.
    Many of my customers run our logo decals, as a thank you for the help (physical or on the phone) we give them. Others may be involved in some regional series (Formula Pro series, GLC, etc.) that requires them.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default As we said in the 60's......

Old Hippie saying... Ass,Grass or Gas,Nobody rides For Free! Heck,I will continue to take the White Lettering off my Tires untill they Give Them to Me for Free.

Liked: 157

I forgot to mention one thing, though, about not running every sticker you can find. Last year (07) Bill won the New York State Road Racing Championship Series, or should I say he would have won but we didnt have the required sticker on the car!

Contributing Member

Default MX Days

Many moons ago I raced moto-cross ( unlike RR I was very fast ) This was when we wore seaters, blue jeans , and work boots. It brought me great pleasure to stay ahead of the young guys fully sponsered with " paid for " Jerseys and Jap Bikes. I always noticed that it was the slow guys who always tried to LOOK fast. With that said I feel compelled to re-move all the cool stickers off my new ( to me ) Van Diemen. But it does look cool. KB

Liked: 96

Quote Originally Posted by D.T. Benner View Post
    Old Hippie saying... Ass,Grass or Gas,Nobody rides For Free! Heck,I will continue to take the White Lettering off my Tires untill they Give Them to Me for Free.
    I've seen that on a bumper sticker... put that one on your race car!
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Liked: 23

I feel my 'Driver Carries No Cash' decal is necessary for my success (or more to the point, an excuse for the lack thereof...)

Tim
    Last edited by TimW; 11.14.08 at 8:00 PM.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 123

I use stickers to hold the bondo and paint on after a whoopsie, and then to cover up the runs in the paint after I fix the whoopsie...

Brian

Liked: 3

Quote Originally Posted by kea View Post
    Sometimes, in the distant past, I would use product stickers, to cover-up paint issues, usually related to an on-track incident, at least until winter when it then could be properly repaired.
    Many of my customers run our logo decals, as a thank you for the help (physical or on the phone) we give them. Others may be involved in some regional series (Formula Pro series, GLC, etc.) that requires them.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff
    Good points Keith! I carry an accordion file full of decals for emergencies.

And yeah, support -- for an individual or for a series -- is close enough to sponsorship. Either one helps you make it on the track!

Liked: 25

Now I understand why I don't get a Pegasus sticker in the box with each order anymore.
    Dave

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
    Now I understand why I don't get a Pegasus sticker in the box with each order anymore.
    Eh, I understand why I get a couple of stickers with most of the orders I place. But I am one of the folks that thinks that if Sparco isn't giving me a free suit, or a discount on the suit, I want to remove their name from my suit.

"Nobody rides for free."

Chris

Default No Cash No Logo

I vote for no cash no logo.

Does that mean if the new President gives a tax refund for burning green gas, his sticker goes on the car? AvGas has the color of blue-green alge, therefore, it surely must be environmentally friendly and should entitle us to some of someone else's wealth. Lets see, pay for the house, provide first class health care, pay for advanced education, provide food stamps, and now race car gas. Good Year has got to be hurting with the recession, racers need a tax refund to buy several sets of new tires to support it. One more thing to which we should be entitled. And yes, the name will change from Good Year Eagle to Good Year Change. Wow, four years of clipping coupons. Can it get any better than this? How will we explain the concept of work to the grandkids? That was something grandpa used to do before "change" was voted in.
    Jim

Liked: 707

Quote Originally Posted by JHaydon View Post

It took my dad a long time to drill that into my feeble, I always wanted to put those free decals on our ATVs, snowmobiles and boat. Now, I go so far as to remove the dealership logo off the back of my street car as soon as I get it home. Unless they give me a smokin' discount on the car, I'm not advertising for them, either.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Liked: 605

Default "Hey! You need to sponsor a racecar"....might be my dying words

Years ago I took all the stickers off the cars but one little one .....which i made bigger later.....I'd figured out how to get Marchon spectacle frame company to give me money that I might have gotten anyway if I'd jumped through certain hoops - so I said to them "You give me the money and I'll put your name on the car".....and I got them to agree to give me the money because I had their name on the cars - I was suprised but didn't tell them. I've been pestering everyone ever since. I have no set proposal but can put a cover page and a couple of pictures together in minutes if I must. Over the years I've gotten enough [and reported it] money to equal the original cost of one of the cars. They've been mostly one off deals but I took the money and put the logo on the car. Using a business model, I've been able to legally deduct other monies to a total that equals another car. You've got to hammer anyone and everyone and any business person that has ears and eyes. If you seek, you will find.........in the wierdest places at times but you will eventually get some bucks. You've also got to have the stickers on the car that have contingency stuff or money.......one car says Good Year, one car says Hoosier....but it doesn't do any good if you're running one heat cycle bargins or take offs - the tire makers keep track of who bought what and when.....support those that MIGHT support you....don't expect too much.....but be ready to have a sign shop make up anything by always asking a potential sponsor for a logo in digital format. Always have the attitude that decals stay on for one season......those picked up mid season get that year and the next is tool for discussion they always like. Be ready to put your car on display - just go and do it sometimes, don't ask if they want it. If they chase you off, at least you've tried. Bug your relatives....it worked for Dorsey. Sounds to me like you Northerners aren't trying very hard. Remember big companies should be hit for bigger bucks than the local mom/pop business if you expect to be taken seriously. Learn to spell in your proposals and use proper grammer.

Default Sponsors want to know who see's my races?

Well everyone at my races is a friend or relative of one of the Participants,end of interest.

I do have ApexSpeed decal's on both sides of MY racecar (and I bought those) as ApexSpeed has done more for racing at my level than anything else I can think of.
    Last edited by D.T. Benner; 11.14.08 at 11:41 PM.

Liked: 9

Default The only free stickers worth having

say "Fenders Suck"

That's a joke; actually I have some friends with fenders.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Liked: 141

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    Learn to spell in your proposals and use proper grammer.
    Sure.

Stickers are great for decorating the tool box!
    Jeff O

Default Also decorating my Recycle cart.

My city gives me a Really big wheeled recycle cart and it's the perfect place to stick all me free decals!
    I don't get mine mixed up with the neighbors and everyone knows where the crazy racer guy lives.
    Best sticker I have seen on a racecar "Driver carries no Cash,He's Married!"

Contributing Member
    Liked: 303

Default Sell the stickers

I put all the stickers that come in the box with your order in a big box. Then when I go to the swap meet I sell them to kids who think it is cool to put them on their cars or whatever. Some day they will grow up and see how dump it was to buy decals for a product to put on your car, but I gladly take their money now.

Oh, I still have a USF2000 decal on my converted FF just to mess with people.

Ed
    Last edited by EACIII; 11.15.08 at 2:01 PM. Reason: Oops

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Default for fun....why no stickers ??

Or, put on the stickers & wait for the check to arrive...................
    Last edited by formulasuper; 01.11.10 at 6:44 PM.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 210

First time I've seen a close up of your car, Formula. Nice paint job! Next time I'm in Target I'll mention I'm there because of you

BTW, do you have a wind tunnel in your garage? Those are some fancy aero ditty's.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Default garage wind tunnel

As a matter of fact, on a windy day my garage actually becomes a wind tunnel with it being fully open front & back! I just figure if these ditty's are working for the Indy & F1 cars then they're good enough for me. Since adding them my car has gone about 3 seconds faster than before. That's one cool thing about Formula S, aero is "unrestricted"!
    Scott Woodruff

Default FS fun.........

Yea Super,you can ad as much drag as the Horsepower can overcome. I have some "do dads" of my own. As for the Target Logo maybe Chip Ga-nasty will be calling soon? Or Targets lawyers with a Cease and Desist order.
    I had a friend who was a State Farm Insurance agent and he put the name of his agency on his race car and got a call from State Farm REAL quick!.oopps.

In the 1960's when T-shirts first started showing up with Corporate LoGo's and product names on them I thought that was the Ultimate Scam of the 20th. Century! (I still do) To get someone to BUY a T-shirt and wear it to Advertise for you for FREE! Thats absolutely Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by D.T. Benner View Post
    Yea Super,you can ad as much drag as the Horsepower can overcome. I have some "do dads" of my own. As for the Target Logo maybe Chip Ga-nasty will be calling soon? Or Targets lawyers with a Cease and Desist order.
    I had a friend who was a State Farm Insurance agent and he put the name of his agency on his race car and got a call from State Farm REAL quick!.oopps.
    Hey D.T., If I run out of HP I can throw on a turbo or supercharger since they're both legal. Target's cool as long as I keep winning.
    Scott Woodruff

Learn to spell in your proposals and use proper grammer.
    You mean "grammar?" Or did I miss the joke?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 26

Hoosier didnt pay this guy but it's well worth the cost of the sticker! Makes us laugh everytime we see the guy! Upper element.

Liked: 3787

[color=purple}So , I was reading this thread, and thinking... I don't have a lot of stickers. I believe in the "no pay, no sticker" rule. When I bought my 91 Honda, the dealer had a fit when I wouldn't take delivery because the dealer had put a sticker on the back. Then I looked at the car.

But, but.... I can explain.

Hoosier: Race contingency at the ARRC. Those stickers have won me a couple of sets of tires in the last few years. Besides, I love the service from Applachian Race Tire.

eformulacarnews: On line reporting of our kind of racing.

Taylor Race Engineering: Craig has helped me sooo many times.

Cricket Farm Motors: I'm bragging that I can actually afford a pro built motor. Seriously, Rollin is one of the great guys in racing. Helped me when I couldn't run two nickels together.

Grassroots Motorsports: It was in the supps for the ARRC that those decals from the event promoter were mandatory. You do read the supp? Don't you? I will always run a event sponsor's decal anyway.

Cool Shirt: Agaain a ARRC contingency. Don't use their stuff, but they try hard.

SARRC: Best damn regional race series in the country.

F2000 Championship Series: If Rand can have a Series sticker on his Club Ford, so can I.

The Runoffs style tech sticker: The Division scrutineers asked that we run those to make it easier on them in tech, They are volunteers, why not, if it helps them?

Purple Frog Racing: I run that decal at any event that Steve Robertson may also enter. It keeps him from being aggravated by my legions of adoring fans, autograph seekers, and debt collectors.

My name on the cowling: Sort of like wearing a name tag at a chamber of commerce meeting. Makes it easier on folks.

Everything else is sort of GCR mandatory.

I guess i better go turn on the heat gun and clean Pollywog up, Getting a bit cluttered.

Notice those nice shiny new Averill radiators. Used to have Averill stickers. Lost them when I repainted the car. Keith won't send me any more. Something about protecting his business' reputation.

Notice the second picture. Radiators are not as nice anymore.

[/color]
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 09.07.09 at 6:05 PM.

Default ApexSpeed Stickers Available!

I still have ApexSpeed stickers available.

A portion goes to ApexSpeed to help support the site.

But, sales have been a lot less than I expected when I got permission from Doug to start this service. Kinda verifies the comments posted on this subject.

White & Black

6" $3.00
    8" $4.00
    11" $5.00
    16" (i forget....)

Liked: 605

Default Busted

sitting right next to the 'puter.....Webster's Collegiate Dictionary fifth edition, published 1946 page 433 second column.

Liked: 9

Default 1946 vs. 2008

sitting right next to the 'puter.....Webster's Collegiate Dictionary fifth edition, published 1946 page 433 second column.
    Hey Eye, is this about RoadHazard's post? If so, maybe it's time to ditch the '46 hardcopy and go to dictionary.com
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/grammar
    The kids have taken over and times have changed.

Edit: just came across this article that says "meh" as originated by that sterling example of western culture, The Simpsons, is being formally accepted into the British version of the English language.
    Last edited by Ted Idlof; 11.17.08 at 8:51 PM.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Liked: 610

Default stickers

Mr. Frog,
    All you need to do is ask me and I would gladly send you more stickers. But now, looking at what you did to those shiney new radiators I sent you, I had better send you a stack of them.
    Keith
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 56

I recently competed in a neat event that happened to require certain stickers. I complied. I also had the stickers back off of my car before the engine cooled down after the race.
    Kevin
    Crossle 35F
    Van Diemen RF02

Liked: 23

I'm rather proud of keeping my small Formula Tour 1600 Grand Prix du Canada & Tremblant Indy tech stickers/series logos under my roll bar. What great events, even if I never came to grips with the tires.

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 141

Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    I'm rather proud of keeping my ...... stickers.......
    That reminds me of the old tech sticker I found on my car when I first renovated it - 'Club Mauricienne'. I know I took a pic if it but it must have been in my pre-digital days.

I thought - oh my goodness - you mean this car raced in Mauritius - which in case you don't know is a French speaking island (Maurice's Island) in the Indian Ocean even more remote than Madagascar (and the only known home of the dodo bird).

Er - no - Club Mauricienne ran the pro-Atlantic series in Quebec in the 1970s - don't know anything else about it - probably some Quebequer called Maurice. EDIT - I've just been told that the Trois Riviere region (where of course many of the races were held) is called Mauricie - so Club Mauricienne make perfect sense! UNEDIT

Funnily enough I've been to the island of Mauritius - in the days before commercial flights could go non-stop for 15hrs it was a refueling stop between South Africa and Australia.

Back to renovating wheels - ugh.
    Last edited by dereklola; 11.18.08 at 12:24 AM.

Thread Information