Liked: 2

Default 05-06 Ford 6.0 diesel info

Tinking of F350 6.0 diesel as tow vehicle. Looking for any info from owners good or bad and some fuel mileage info. Know of a fire sale on an 06 with 15k on it.
    Thanks
    Ed
    "The visibility at the best of times is liable to be a bit hazy due to clouds of ignorance"... Carroll Smith

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by aspenripper View Post
    Tinking of F350 6.0 diesel as tow vehicle. Looking for any info from owners good or bad and some fuel mileage info. Know of a fire sale on an 06 with 15k on it.
    Thanks
    Ed

I have no personal experience but anecdotal stuff from other racers I have talked to all seem to like the 7.3 more than the 6.0. Not just for towing reasons but for reliability as well.

I was sortof in the market for a diesel until a deal on a Tundra Crewcab came up that I couldn't pass up.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

I have a 2003 F350 CC, SRW with a 6.0 and a manual trans. The truck weighs a little over 7000 lbs.

The fuel injectors were a weak point, at least initially, but it tows pretty well (first a 24' enclosed tag and now a 28').

Commuting to work (no freeways) I get about 19.5 mpg
    Towing mileage is HIGHLY dependant on speed. If I stay around 70, I'm getting 12 mpg and it drops as I speed up. Because I live so far from every track, it's very hard to stay at 70 mph!

I only have about 50k miles on it but it's been decent, other than the initial injector issues.

Despite the addional fuel costs, I will probably stick to deisel because of the extended range with the better mileage and the ease of towing - torque is good!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Garey
    wow the commuter mileage is good. I think by 05 and 06 the injector issue has been sorted out. My current full size Armada is a 13-18mpg truck and towing is say 8-10, so not so great. It tows ok but when you get out your right foot is a little beat up. The current owner is getting like 14 but sounds like very short trips only and with 13k on it , barley broken in. Well thanks for the info I appreciate it.

Are you dual rear wheels or single ? and 3.73 or 4.10 rear end ?
    Ed
    Last edited by aspenripper; 11.06.08 at 12:29 PM. Reason: forgot an item
    "The visibility at the best of times is liable to be a bit hazy due to clouds of ignorance"... Carroll Smith

nerver mind I see SRW and manual trans that helps the mpg

Liked: 72

My 05 250 is just great. I tow all over the west with major mountains and it climbs like a rabbit. The injector issue was resolved with a warranty upgrade. I've heard that the 6.0 had some oil leak issues and I had a couple of sending units replaced under warranty. I'm just under 50k with no issues. An issue of concern is that Ford moved away from this motor fairly quickly. I tow a 20' Pace grossing about 6.2K. I averaged 13.9 mpg from Sac to Topeka and got 12.5 coming home against the always present headwind and running about 63 mph. If I push up to 70 mileage drops considerably by a couple of mpg. Over the span of a day's driving that's enough to pay for a cheap room. I think with a canopy (shell) and a deflector would increase the mileage. I undersatnd a rechip will improve things as well.

I always use the cruise control because it's hard to keep the speed down. Empty I average 20 mpg at 65 and drop to 18 at 80. I miss my motorhome but driving this truck all day is a dream.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

I don't think that the manual trans helps much with mileage, except that it keep s my wife from driving it

My truck is also a LWB so towing is very easy! I have towed the same 24' trailer with Armada's, QX56's and Titans. Of the 3, Titans are best because of the solid rear axle. Even with the weight distribution hitch, it was scary past 60 mph the SUVs. Scary enough that I DIDN'T go over 60 mph!! But when I towed from SoCal to middle Tennessee with my truck, I would accidently hit 85-90 mph on the lonely roads when no one was around. Since I was moving, the trailer was full (2 FF's, all spare parts plus other household items). It was probably near 10k lbs. I didn't check mileage on that trip.

The other failure I had was the turbo. I think that was another thing that was fixed but with mine, I was told that since I didn't drive it often (only for towing to the race track if I didn't have a company car to borrow), extended sitting without being started would shorten the life of the turbo. Fortunately, it happened just after the notice of the extended warranty and cost me the $100 deductible instead of over $1000. This happened after the 3 year warranty expired with about 19k miles on the truck.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Thread Information