Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

Default wheel weights tape

Anybody tried Gorilla tape with success on wheel balancing weghts instead of the chrome metal duct tape. KB

Contributing Member
    Liked: 100

not familiar with the gorilla tape. regular duct tape works just fine.
    truth is if the wheel is properly cleaned before applying the tape weights, no tape is really necessary. we tape weight street alloy wheels all the time here at my tire store with no tape at all and they hold on through all the weather ne ohio can throw at them. but tape does provide an extra measure of safety and it definitely looks better.

mark d

I use the thin aluminum foil adhesive tape.
    2 layers, never had a problem, looks good on aluminum wheels and the adhesive is easier to remove from the wheel than duct tape adhesive.
    SF86 Reynard FC
    FRCCA http://www.formularacecarclubofamerica.com
    Bill Scott Formula Car Series http://www.bsfcs.com
    BMod Autocrosser http://www.nationalroadrally.com/

Liked: 601

Default wheel weight tape

Kevin,
    As Mark said, if the wheel is cleaned at the point of application, no tape should be necessary. I apply my weights to the inside of the wheel, so as not to be seen, making sure to clear brakes, upright attachments, etc. If I tape them, I just apply the racers tape we sell/use around the shop.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    Keith
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Contributing Member

Default tape

The reason I asked is that I have been using the foil tape for the last couple years. The foil is a real pain to peel off , if it has been on for awhile ( like rain tires ) My wheels are black OZ's and the gorilla tape is a new black duct tape on the market. It is way stickerier than the regular duct tape and doesn't tear easily when removing. I have always cleaned my wheels anyway so any good tape should be a good back-up. Just seeing if anyone had tried the new gorilla tape. Nascar cars use it on the body parts they always wreck and go back out KB

Liked: 601

Default wheel weight tape

Kevin,
    If the alum foil tape is a pain to remove, then why would you be looking into another duct tape, that claims to be stickerier than regular tape, Won't you be faced with the same problem?
    Keith
    Keith
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 413

Use gaffer's tape. Comes in black and will not leave residue.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 29

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    Use gaffer's tape. Comes in black and will not leave residue.
    As Charles says, Gaffers Tape works well. It's made to be easily removed. For those of you who may not be familiar with it, it is used for taping down cords, cables etc on video shoots, in the studio, at concerts and other staging events. As an Audio-Video dealer we use it all the time, at work and at play (my Swift FA). It is available in black and silver, email me if you are interested.

Jim Gustafson
    Racing Since 1970

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default I use Gorilla Tape with great success.

After one of the Tire reps at the track put Gorilla tape over my weights at the track and when I went to remove the tape it come off in one swoop with no residue when I was prepping for new tires to be mounted.. This stuff is fabulous and its designed for high heat temperatures without its adhesive properties breaking down. They call it gorilla tape for a reason.

I used gaffers tape prior but really like the Gorilla tape.. Home depot sells the stuff in the paint section normally.
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Thread Information