Thread: Help with Video

Liked: 0

Default Help with Video

I recently ran video at the Runoffs with a ChaseCam and I plugged the memory card into my computer. I got the files on my desktop and they are MPEG. When I try to convert them to Windows Movie Maker, it wont allow me to use these files. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

THanks
    Matthew Inge
    http://www.MatthewIngeRacing.com
    Never Forget VT 4-16-2007

Liked: 23

You have to get an MPEG codec. Apple sells one for Windows at $20 that will work with Quicktime Player for Windows (which is free). I do all my MPEG work on a Mac, but its possible that Windows will see it after installation of the codec as a valid quicktime format and play it, but trust me, I'm a mac guy so YMMV.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

I had the exact same problem as you. The file is an MPEG-2 format, and for some reason Mircosoft decided that not only would they stop supporting MPEG-2, but they would make it impossible for windows media player to use it. On Windows XP systems and older versions of windows media player, MPEG-2 is still supported, but if you are vista or have a newer version of WMP it won't work. Since windows movie maker utilizes windows media player, you won't be able to open the MPEG-2 videos UNLESS you get a special codec. Unfortunately the normal codecs like DivX don't fix this...you have to use some obscure codec that tricks the new windows media player into using the MPEG-2.

If you search the internet people will tell you to use VLC player, but that doesn't help you with windows movie maker. There are a number of codecs you can BUY but they are usually $20-$40...

I did manage to find a free MPEG-2 decoder/codec for Windows media player about a month ago but I can't remember the exact name/website where I got it. After extensive searching I did find this, which seems to have a decent reputation on the web so you shouldn't get any viruses or anything from it. Basically it is a big collection of obscure codecs, including MPEG-2. It should make WMP play your chasecame files

http://www.cccp-project.net/

The download link is right in the middle of the page, "download Windows/Vista/XP/2k"

Here is the wiki page if you want to look into it and make sure for yourself that it is legit

http://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/ind...itle=Main_Page

This should be a solution for you, if it doesn't work let me know and when I get home I'll try to find the Codec I used. Like I said, you can use the VLC player to view your Chasecame files, but it won't help you with windows movie maker! VLC is the player chasecam recommends to view their videos ( http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ ), but if you want to edit your films you gotta find a way to get Windows movie maker to read the MPEG-2's, or you need to get another video editing software. Since video editing softwares are expensive and/or tend to suck, the best option is to fix windows emdia player! So, give the CCCP project codec a shot, hopefully it works.

Liked: 447

This one may work for you too:

http://www.afreecodec.com/codecs/DVC/
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 210

If you want to try the fix talked about by the guys above, use one of the links they suggested to known GOOD sites. Codec's can be very dangerous!

I went to the Microsoft web site and followed THEIR links to a codec that was suppossed to allow AVI's to play in Windows Media Player. Gave me the WORST (actually the ONLY distructive) virus on my machine in 29 1/2 years of using PC's. Yes, started with the Tandy II.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 111

Picasa (Google's nice free picture manager/viewer/editor) now supports basic video editing and should fix this problem as well. (not to mention it is pretty nice to use overall)

http://picasa.google.com/

jim

Liked: 1

Hey, when you get the video into the sort of shape that you are happy with it, please feel free to upload it onto MotorRevTV! Just go to www.motorrev.tv and upload from there...it's a pretty simple process.

Dick

Liked: 0

check with these guys, good stuff free and you can pick and choose which programs you need and not fill up your computer with a bunch of stuff you'll never use

www.dvdvideosoft.com

it's called the free studio manager

Thread Information