Liked: 0

Post VD RF81 or 82 bodywork

“Long time listener, first time caller.” I'm in search of lighter bodywork first and foremost, but a little aero help would be nice too. It is my opinion that it's much easier to draft my 79 bodywork then it is to draft past the sleeker 81's and 2's. I'm probably just making excuses, but it seems they punch a smaller hole, and close it up better as well. BUT I digress.. They also look cool. Does anyone have for sale a center and tail, or know of those two pieces for sale anywhere? The other option is the existence of a mold and someone's willingness to make a couple pieces. The last option is that I just make my own, but that gets sticky.

Before anyone says it, yes I know Porter has these, but from the pictures he sent, the tail doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for. Perhaps the pictures are just a bad angle, but it looks custom to me. Has anyone seen his VD pieces, and am seeing it wrong? We've always had good luck ordering crossle parts from Neil, so I know he does great work.

With a 19 pound center section, and an 8 pound tail, I know I can do better. Any advice out there?

Liked: 17

I'd be interested, too. I have an RF81 and the center and tail are one piece. If I can get this as a two-piece unit, that'd be great!
    Bob McCown
    Van Diemen RF81 #472 (2008-2013)
    Next ?
    2009 ARS CF
    "I barked twice." - Enzo (the dog)

Contributing Member rick payne_75's Avatar
    Liked: 112

centre and tail are one piece on rf81s and rf82s.

Liked: 18

Default Have some of those bits

I have and run an 82 Van Diemen. One of the best things I have done is to enclose the engine bay with a lower tray, and sidepanels to help the aero. A friend had another 82 chassis which he had grafted a tail section similar to the db1 swift chassis. did not seem worth the weight aand trouble. I have hanging in the garage a center section from 81 chassis. Is lighter than what I currently have on the car, but needs some cleaning etc. as it is original with very few repairs, but has sat around for years, and looks old. I also needed a nose and could not find one on this side of the pond, so bought one from England, and had a mold professionally done. Have had 6 noses made so far and sold 4 of them. I can give you some pictures of whatever you are interested in, and as always happy to answer questions.
    Alan

Contributing Member Tom Tipsword's Avatar

I have a spare body (rough) for an RF81 and also one (two-piece) for an RF82. All the RF81's I've seen are one-piece front axle to tail. All the RF82's I've seen are two-piece, split at the rear roll hoop. The 82 body (with windshield) is for sale. If you want pictures let me know.

Default VD RF81 or 82 bodywork

Thanks for the replies guys. I knew I'd seen 2 piece versions of the sleeker bodywork over the years, although I'd certainly consider a 1 piece. I sent PM's to both of you Alan and Tom. Thanks again.

Coley

Default bodywork only

Accidentaly deleted your PM Jon, but I'm not selling my car; just trying to make it lighter. Likely you emailed the wrong person? Unless you're offering rediculous money... "Every man has his price." Thanks.

Thread Information