Liked: 4

Default Quick FC/Pinto Engine Tuning Question

We just re-installed our freshened head. We set timing to 38 Deg. Builder says set timing from 38-40 deg. Seems a little lower on torque then previously. Does moving the timing closer to 40 have any impact on the torque?
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Liked: 259

ignition, mixture, and the combination of the two will all effect torque.

was jetting adjusted for local conditions versus conditions on the dyno? if not, I'd do that before banging on the distributor. how are you assessing the combination of mixture and ignition timing: chassis dyno; EGT's; color of the tail pipe; color of the plugs; driver feel???

if the jetting is right/close, try a little more advance.......... YMMV

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net

Liked: 123

Not that I'm a dyno expert - but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

I talked about this once some years ago, with Ted Martin - a contemporary and competitor to Keith Duckworth, FWIW - and he told me that I needed to find MTBT - Minimum Timing Best Torque. If you plot torque vs timing, what you find is that as you increase timing, you reach a plateau where a further increase in timing does not result in an increase in torque (remember that a dyno only directly measures torque, and there is a mathematical conversion to HP). So you sweep timing and look for where torque stops increasing.

Then, you jet for that timing to optimize it, then you sweep timing again to see if a different timing now results in a different MTBT point, then you rejet for that new timing, until it's lunch time and you quit. Or the engine blows up from all the dyno pulls. Or it loses power because it needs a rebuild. Or you run out of dyno gas.

So increasing your timing to 40 degrees may help, or may just get you closer to detonation... sorry

Funny story - Ted did most of his serious engine tuning and design in the early 1960's. Then - the way you found MTBT was you had your mechanical dyno with a giant dial and a needle that pointed to a torque number, and you went into the dyno chamber, cranked the engine up to full RPM, and grabbed the distributor and started twisting until the number on the dial peaked out. Or so he told me...

brian

Liked: 29

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post

Funny story - Ted did most of his serious engine tuning and design in the early 1960's. Then - the way you found MTBT was you had your mechanical dyno with a giant dial and a needle that pointed to a torque number, and you went into the dyno chamber, cranked the engine up to full RPM, and grabbed the distributor and started twisting until the number on the dial peaked out. Or so he told me...

brian
    Heck... I'd seen Formula Atlantic engines done that way in the LATE 70's! Where I worked they rented space to an engine builder for his dyno, was located just across from an airport - once the fire crews rolled over thinking the exhaust coming out the vent on the roof was a fire! Nothing quite like the sound, smells & vibration of a BDA going full song and being tuned on the dyno...
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Liked: 123

I freely confess that I am scared of dyno's. I work on them fairly rarely, a couple of times a year at most, and I kind of crouch behind the operator, 15 feet from the engine, behind a wall and a sheet of lexan, while they run the engine up to redline for a 10 second pull. What if it explodes, as it clearly wants to?

Then, I bolt the engine in my car, 6 " behind my head, and happily run it up to redline repeatedly for 20 minute race sessions, without a care in the world. Out of sight, out of mind I guess.

Brian

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Out of the way of flying parts.....

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

Quote Originally Posted by azjc View Post
    Nothing quite like the sound, smells & vibration of a BDA going full song and being tuned on the dyno...
    Here, here.

Another favorite was when I was working in a prep shop and the engine builder fired up a DFV on the Dyno. The memory still makes me smile.

Sorry for the hijack.
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

Contributing Member
    Liked: 30

Default The way it is

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    ...the way you found MTBT was you had your mechanical dyno with a giant dial and a needle that pointed to a torque number, and you went into the dyno chamber, cranked the engine up to full RPM, and grabbed the distributor and started twisting until the number on the dial peaked out. Or so he told me...

brian
    ...Actually, the dyno guys I use still do it that way. Only difference is that they use a chassis dyno. They do have a plate that drops into a slot in the floor that separates the spinning wheel from the guy who twists the distributor.

John Mihalich, Jr.

Liked: 3279

I always used to set my Pinto cam timing a degree or two advanced (offset cam keys) from the QS dyno setting. That shifted the peak torque and HP lower on the RPM curve. IMO, that always gave better performance without having to buzz the crap out of the engine.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 2

Will the engine builder do this if you ask him to?

Liked: 259

here's an idea for something to provide your engine builder. scribed lines added to the pulley on the dyno would enable painless adjustment of the engine's characteristics......

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net
    Last edited by Art Smith; 10.21.09 at 3:14 PM.

Thread Information