Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 706

Default 2nd Annual F1000 Championship

The 2008 ARRC will host the 2nd Annual F1000 Championship! Last year's race saw 13 cars take the green flag and featured some of the best racing of the weekend with three different manufacturers on the podium.
    Our goal is to make this year's race even better! While there won't be the huge list of fantastic sponsors that we had last year, there will be some incentive to attend and do well. The biggest incentive is to be part of the continuing growth of FB and one of the best events on the SCCA calendar, nationwide.
    Once again, there are lots of cars in progress or ready for the first shakedown, and plenty of cars that are ready to race. Who's going to be part of the 2nd Annual F1000 Championship?
    Stay tuned to this thread for updates.

Entries:
    Driver- Chassis - engine
    Russ McBride- Van Diemen RF94 conversion- Kawasaki
    Jerry Freeman- Freeman JF1- Honda
    Sean Maisey - Van Diemen RF99/Novak -Suzuki
    Gary Hickman -Edge FB -Suzuki
    Bill McLaughlin Jr. -Stohr -Suzuki
    Glenn Cooper- Van Diemen RF98- Suzuki
    Ben Cooper- Cooper Elan- Suzuki
    Shane Lewis -Stohr -Suzuki
    Justin Pritchard-Piper-Suzuki
    Jeremy Hill-Photon-Suzuki

Sponsors:
    Gyrodynamics- free Indy-style jack to first DNF (unless it's Russ.)
    Slick Eyewear- free pair of sunglasses to driver of best appearing car
    Last edited by Mike B; 10.21.08 at 11:32 AM.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Liked: 553

Good deal, Mike. Glad to hear Gyrodynamics and Slick Eyeware found value in supporting last year's event.

Last year I was disappointed that I wasn't able to recognize and spend more time with F1000 builders, drivers and crew. To address that this year, I was wondering if we should put together a cheap, informal event program for the FB participants and attendees. It could be as simple as - Everyone send me digital pictures of the race car and team members, and some bio info, and I'll format and staple them together. We could give it to the track announcer and publication folks. I am so bad with names & faces, I know it would help me get to know the players.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Last edited by formulasuper; 09.26.08 at 9:07 PM. Reason: not funny.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Russ,
    That's what we did last year ('cept for the pics) and Al Craighead and the PA guy were very thankful for it. Anything we can do to make their job easier benefits us.
    As the registration list grows, I'll begin contacting each driver for a bio and pics to create a spotter's guide for the media. You can also send it to me ahead of time.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Liked: 3

Default I am in

Sean Maisey - Van Diemen RF99/Novak/Suzuki

Liked: 273

Default Edge is in

Count us SoCal boys in. It's a long tow from San Diego to RA (done it before) but I wouldn't miss this for anything.

Gary Hickman/Edge FB/Suzuki
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 0

Default LOOKING FORWARD TO THE EVENT

Indiana chimes in with 1 entry, McLaughlin Motorsports FB would like to be included. Please email us with details.

Bill McLaughlin Jr. / Stohr / Kevin Williams Suzuki / Hooiser / Carbonix's

Thank You

Bill McLaughlin Sr.

bill@mkpshop.com
    Life is what happens to you while you're planning on doing something else!

Quote Originally Posted by bireldealer View Post
    Indiana chimes in with 1 entry, McLaughlin Motorsports FB would like to be included. Please email us with details.

Bill McLaughlin Jr. / Stohr / Kevin Williams Suzuki / Hooiser / Carbonix's

Thank You

Bill McLaughlin Sr.

bill@mkpshop.com
    http://www.dlbracing.com/default.aspx?
    Scott Woodruff

Here's a direct link to the event entry list:

http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/clubd...x?EventID=3646
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Default Entered

Thanks!
    Life is what happens to you while you're planning on doing something else!

Ya, use Russ's link, it'll save you 3 clicks.
    Scott Woodruff

Default ARRC Paddock Parking

If you'd like to try and get F1000 cars together, the Atlanta Region is graciously offering to try and accomodate folks. See instructions below.

Please keep in mind that the parking folks are volunteers and have an impossible job of satisfying everyone's desires.

Russ

Any requests for parking at the ARRC should be sent to arrcpark@hotmail.com. Send an email stating who, where, when, how many and the general size of your rigs and we will make every effort to accommodate your wishes.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Just read Stohr North America's press release saying Shane Lewis will be driving their car at this year's ARRC.

That's good, but the list of preregistered cars is pretty small (6 cars). No Phoenix, Citation, Piper, Tatuus, ... Maybe they are all waiting for some reason?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Good job Craig and Bill. I hope some of the other manufacturers hop in to get the numbers up and get the class more exposure. Good luck.
    Ken

Liked: 210

I know Belling went to the run offs. But I'm sorta surprised not to see Belling and Oberndorf on there
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Yes, I'm sure there are more than six cars planning to race. I was just hoping to prod some people into pre-registering. I'm also hoping that a lot of people unable to make the 2007 race will be ready for this one, but there has been a noticable lack of news from a lot of them.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 59

Default Stohr Cars North America Entry

Here's a copy. See everyone there. Thanks.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Stohr Cars North America Announces American Road Race of Champions Program

Alpharetta, GA (September 29, 2008): Stohr Cars North America and Firehouse Subs team up to campaign in the 2008 American Road Race of Champions on November 08 at Road Atlanta in Braselton, GA.

Driving the Stohr F1000 formula car is current Grand Am veteran and long time professional driver Shane Lewis. Shane has competed throughout the world in all major styles of sports car racing including Daytona Prototype, LMP, GT, and production-based cars. Shane has competed in over twenty of the world’s most famous endurance races, including: 24 Hours of LeMans, 24 Hours of Daytona, 12 Hours of Sebring, and Petit LeMans. Shane is looking forward to his first drive in the new small-displacement formula car concept currently competing in the Sports Car Club of America’s Formula B class. The cars are capable of speeds upwards of 145mph with engines revving over 13,000 rpm. “Getting the opportunity to drive for Stohr Cars North America and having an unbelievable sponsor like Firehouse Subs on board, this event can only be a success,” says Lewis. “Not only do I get to race what I believe is the best chassis in the class, I get to represent a company that makes the best subs and sandwiches anywhere. I am truly looking forward to putting this car up front and celebrating with a Firehouse Sub.”

Firehouse Subs, founded in Jacksonville, Fla. by former firefighting brothers Robin and Chris Sorensen, is a 335-unit fast-casual restaurant chain that specializes in hot subs. Each restaurant offers a family-oriented dining atmosphere complete with an authentic firefighter theme that celebrates local firefighting history, as well as the founding family’s 200 years of firefighting service. “Firehouse Subs and Stohr Cars North America share a commitment to quality and customer service,” said Firehouse Subs franchisee Donavan Carr. “We are proud to join forces with Stohr to put on this exciting event.” Firehouse Subs representatives will be available all weekend for race and paddock activities. On hand will be sponsor information, giveaways, driver cards, and autographs.

Stohr Cars North America is the eastern U.S. distributor of Stohr Cars, LLC, a racing car constructor based in Portland, Oregon. Stohr Cars continues to win championships with its current sports racer, the WF1. In late 2006, Stohr Cars introduced the F1000, built specifically to compete in the new-for-2007 Formula B class. Stohr Cars North America driver Bill Wald is the team’s ARRC event coordinator.

All spectators and participants are welcome to visit the paddock and experience close-up views of the cars and teams during the event. Several different classes of sports cars will be competing on the 2.54-mile, 12-turn road course. Testing begins Thursday, November 06, with practice and qualifying sessions on Friday, November 07. The 22-lap sprint race will be held on Saturday, November 08.

For more information about Stohr Cars North America and its participation in the ARRC event, visit www.stohrcars.com For more information about Firehouse Subs, visit www.firehousesubs.com.

Default Once again........

This looks like it will be another great event!

I, like the rest of you, hope to see a larger number of other "manufacturer" cars show up as well.

I again take my hat off to those of you who have converted your cars to FB. What a project, and what a fantastic job you are all doing!!!

The boys at 10/TENTHS's and Bill Wald have also pulled off a nice one!! Shane is a great guy and will probably have a blast driving the Stohr. I know he lo(i)ves to race, so this ought to be pretty cool for him, and for the spectators. At the moment, it looks like I will be able to attend, so I am looking forward to getting in line for my chance at great food from Firehouse Subs (they rock!!) and a signature on something from Shane!! Go Shane Go!!!

Sure wish I had the dineros to get in an FB, just to see if I could keep up with Shane and the rest of you!!

Anyway, hope to see everyone in the paddock at the greatest race event the Atlanta Region and the SEDIV puts together each and every year. Runoff's??.........

THIS is the Runoff's!!
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

Liked: 19

No Piper listed??
    Maybe Doug needs a shoe for it??

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M. View Post
    No Piper listed??
    Maybe Doug needs a shoe for it??

The race is 3 weeks away. Hopefully that's plenty of time for people to register. But, I can't help but wonder why they haven't yet. We *should* see cars from Piper, Phoenix, Speads, Citation, Tatuus, ...

So far, only six cars - one Stohr, Jerry Freeman's JF-1, 3 VD conversions and Ben Cooper's DP-04. Didn't we have 12 cars last year? Are we going to have fewer cars in the second year?!

Is it the economy? Cars still not completed? What's up, guys? Chime in. What's your status? If we're going to have a low turn out, let's at least hear why.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

The entry list is now at seven (officially), and the bar is raised.

Who else is waiting to sign up?
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Liked: 273

If our final test session this Friday goes well we will be adding to the list. It's a long haul for us in SoCal....I want to make sure we are ready and not fighting system issues.

Our first test session we did got cut short because of an oil leak. Second session fought high winds. We just completed our cockpit adj. A.R.B. so testing this Friday should go much faster.

Gary Hickman
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 7

The JF1 has a Honda 94 CB1000 in it not a suzuki. It's very slow because it only came with 95 HP factory in 94. I'm working on buying a 07 suzuki this week but it won't be ready to run til the Feb regional at Road Atlanta in Feb. if they have that race. Then maybe I'll feel more confident in running nationals to help the numbers for everyone else. I have no plans to run at the runoffs because the driver still needs A LOT of track time to improve. I've almost got the wife talked into camping at the track for the weekend to save money for the entry but the bonus race is still uncertain. I'm registered but not sure if it will happen. Hopefully all you fast guys can pass me without destroying some good cars. Please come to my pits to talk about the best way to get around safely. I post this because I'm more worried about your cars than mine and I saw some close calls last year watching some young guns come out of the esses and nearly run over alot of cars and I don't wont that to happen because people misjudge my slow turd.

Jerry

Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar

As the sole owner of a Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 I will not be attending the ARRC, just to let you know. Phoenix only sold 2 F1000 race cars, mine and Paul Marciano's. According to sources, Paul's Phoenix F1K-07 like mine was severely damaged at Firebird International a couple of weeks ago. I am sure it will take some time to repair, and will most likely be impossible for him or any other driver to repair his car and make the tow and race.

My Phoenix F1000 remains the sole Phoenix in the USA, is in mint condition, and unfortunately cannot make the ARRC race. My occupation is directly involved in the securities industry and I have a major committment to my 1300 account client base. With the current financial crisis it is also very hard to warrant a major expense for the tow from New Mexico, considering costs for hotel/motel costs, food, tires, entry fees, all for a very small amount of time on the track. I am a regional event racer, and cannot justify the costs to attend the ARRC. I realize it's our Indy race for F1000, but have to look at matters realistically.

From conversations with Dustin Wright at Phoenix Race Works, he has become the main person for running the company. Matt's father-in-law passed away recently and he has had other important family matters to tend too, from my understanding. I cannot speak for Phoenix, but from what I understand the new car has not been completed or tested as of yet.

With this in mind, I seriously doubt that a Phoenix F1000 will make the show. If Atlanta was closer in proximity, I would make an effort to attend the event and race. But as several posts here have acknowledged the costs to attend races have become difficult, I once again cannot warrant the expense to travel 3500-4000 miles round trip.

Regardless of the number of entries, I am sure for those that attend will have a good time. I also feel that the current economic crisis that we are in, overall car counts will be down for the entire event. This year alone 3 regional events in the Rocky Mountain SCCA had to be canceled due to low car counts. Unless financial conditions improve, 2009 could be a very difficult time for SCCA club racing across the country. It certainly appears that current financial conditions will get much worse before they get better. Racing takes a large amount of disposable income, and many Americans will find that other economic priorities exist over racing.

Enjoy the racing, and I will be watching to see what driver brings home the 1st Place finish.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Sorry to hear you wont be there, Richard, but it is certainly understandable that the cost to attend is prohibitively expensive. Honestly, sometimes it's hard to imagine how anyone can afford this hobby.

It's really disappointing that the new Phoenix might not make it. I've been looking forward to seeing it. It looked like a potential Piper-beater. Is it near completion, or is there simply too much left to finish in these last 2 weeks?

For those unable to attend, several ARRC competitors are going to try and do a better job this year getting GoPro video of the event. GoPro has been a great supporter of F1000, and we want to do a better job this year for them.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Russ;

I cannot speak for the guys over at Phoenix. I know that they are both dedicated to the industry, both very sharp young men, know their racing well, and can only imagine that Dustin has his hands full running the biz since Matt .....to my undertanding is dealing with family affairs.

I have written and spoken with Dustin directly several times, and he was kind enough to call after Paul's accident.

We are all looking forward to the new body style, but may have to be patient due to family matters that prevail, and financial concerns that effect any small business.

I am sure at this point that Justin Pritchard is the clear favorite to win, but racing is racing and there is no sure way to project who will win.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico

Liked: 11

Doesn't Matt have a Phoenix? He was at the ARRC last year in a silver one.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Sean:

Yes, Matt drives the original prototype that was built before he built the 2 production cars that were ultimately sold to end users. Of the 2 production cars built and sold, one is now severely wrecked, and I own the other. I am sure that we will hear what Paul will ultimately do with his Phoenix that got wrecked a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully it gets rebuilt and back on the track. I am not sure what will happen to that car.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico

Our car will have a new chassis along with some other bits and begin being run as soon as doctors turn us loose.It's a real shame the accident happened so close to the ARRC race.I had lowered the existing track record at Firebird in the morning session with 14 heat cycled tires..We put new tires on the car for qualifying and had lowered our morning times while waiting for the stickers to come off of the tires.We have a rebuild strategy put in place with Dustin and when our new chassis is ready we will rebuild..We feel we had just begun to show the speed of the Phoenix car and are excited about continued relations with Dustin and Phoenix Raceworks.As previousy stated the safety of these cars speaks for itself as I tested first hand against a formula mazda two weeks ago..If anyone cares to speak with me on this matter I can be reached at 602 677 5529 I'm happy to have the words come straight from ME and not on the net. Thanks again to everyone at Phoenix Raceworks..

Paul Marciano
    PM Performance
    602 677 5529

Sorry you guys wont make it Richard and Paul. I was really looking forward to seeing your red Phoenix Richard. Great looking cars. All the best.

Looks like I'll be there, I've made some good progress with my new (Sean's old) car and I think we are race worthy. I'll be testing all weekend and if all goes well, I'll see you guys in Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McNitt View Post
    Looks like I'll be there, I've made some good progress with my new (Sean's old) car and I think we are race worthy. I'll be testing all weekend and if all goes well, I'll see you guys in Atlanta.
    Great news. That car will probably drive itself around Rd Atl. :-).

Tell us about the changes you've made. Mostly related to sidepods and cooling?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Hi Russ,

Yes, I basically cut the front off of the pods, laid the rads down and put the oil coolers behind the rads. I also moved stuff around to improve air flow through the rads. I've ran about 6 25 min sessions with it and I think I'll be ok as long as the weather co-operates.

Weather looks to be decent, were heading up tomorrow. Good luck all.

All packed up and ready for the long trip to Road Atlanta!
    Last edited by Brands; 08.23.10 at 10:04 PM.

Default On my way tomorrow

I am leaving the house around 9:00. Hope to see you guys at the track around 5:00-6:00 tomorrow night.

Are there any plans to paddock in the same area? Last year parking was a complete disaster...

See ya,
    Sean

Ben,
    Why do you need a generator? Can't you just run a really long extension cord?

Good luck to all!
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Too funny, Mike. :-).

Sean, I think we'll be in the lower paddock (skid pad), near T1. I don't think anyone went to the trouble of trying to formally gather all FB guys together. We tried last year, but turned out to be too hard to work out.

You should expect parking to be a challenge again this year. It always is. Just be prepared for it and know that it will get sorted out eventually. Then, we can get down to the bizness of driving our awesome cars on an awesome track alongside some awesome folks. :-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Default Much better experience

Just to give complements where they are due...

Congratulations to the ARRC organizers on a much better arrival experience. I got through registration,parked and unloaded in less than half an hour. Nice warm weather to boot...

Sean

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default Sounds exciting guys.. wish I could be there.

Keep us all posted..
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information