Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 11

My 96 with the curved cowling but no wind-spoiler did create crazy helmet lift. Still remember the 1st time in the car and I thought it would suck right off my head. Frog fixed it at the time with some tape... since then Tim w/ Safequip has these stick-on clear lexan dealeo's for the top of your helmet. Those things are cheap, and work!
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by carnut169 View Post
    My 96 with the curved cowling but no wind-spoiler did create crazy helmet lift. Still remember the 1st time in the car and I thought it would suck right off my head. Frog fixed it at the time with some tape... since then Tim w/ Safequip has these stick-on clear lexan dealeo's for the top of your helmet. Those things are cheap, and work!
    Wrong! Tim doesn't have anymore of them & doesn't know where to get any.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by carnut169 View Post
    Sean, I misunderstood and thought you were talking about the strip attached to the cowl lip, now I realize you meant the small deflectors that attach to the helmet. Sorry, my bad.

Liked: 273

Default Final Willow Springs test prior to ARRC

Hi All
    Getting set for our final test session at Willow Springs on Friday before we make the 4,200 mile round trip to Road Atlanta for the ARRC next week.

We didn't want to tow a trailer all that way so we built this hoist and hinged ramps for our company boxvan. Thought all of you might be interested to see this. The ramps are 1" square .063 wall sheeted with .063 6061. Ramps weigh 40 pounds each. The overhead hoist weighs just under 40 pounds and assembles with ZERO tools.

We winch the car up the ramp then hoist the ramps up to 37" high and roll the car straight in. The whole process takes about 15 minutes to setup and roll the car into the truck.

I should have some in-car video this time out...stay tuned.

Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering
    Last edited by ghickman; 07.07.13 at 3:00 PM.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Nice! Dont forget your vinyl!
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 3787

I like it. I have many times thought of a box truck as a solution, but egress was always the challenge. So, i thought the truck would have to have a lift gate.

What is neat about that solution is that many of the pro teams already use A-frame lifts in the paddock to park their cars 30" high for ease of work. So you killed to birds with one stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    I like it. I have many times thought of a box truck as a solution, but egress was always the challenge. So, i thought the truck would have to have a lift gate.

What is neat about that solution is that many of the pro teams already use A-frame lifts in the paddock to park their cars 30" high for ease of work. So you killed to birds with one stone.
    Yep, we figured the A frame would do double duty at the races.

We really prefer these boxvans over truck and trailer. You can pick them up very cheap on the used RYDER truck market. They are almost always good for another 200,000 miles before you need to recycle them. I've had this truck since 1998 and have put 300,000 miles on it. We use it for our BMX Race Team but now it's becoming the FB race hauler.

FYI- If anyones interested I can make you one of these A frames. Let me know if there's interest.

Regards
    Gary
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

You should sell a "box truck kit", with the A-frame and ramps!
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

I use a system very much like that for my BOX truck. I used my race car gantry and unload it first, a winch to roll the ramp, on trolley wheels in a track, in and out with car stored on the ramp, then lower the end of the ramp. I have safety hooks that grab the rear sill so it can't kick out.

Used Box trucks are real affordable and when you loose the need for the trailer, cost savings and hastles are reduced.

I was thinking of doing a mini-van cut-away conversion design for specific small car hauler design. Very sleek, and good millage but for light cars only.

Good Work
    C Shaw

Default EDGE DETAIL SHOTS

Hi All
    Thought I'd post some detail shots of our car. As part of our design criteria we tried to make everything simple and light weight. Sorry for the fuzzy shot of the upright, my wifes camera doesn't focus properly.

Our uprights are all universal and the calipers can be mounted on either side of the upright. We copied the DB6 internals on all the uprights...hard to argue the durability. We used DB4 axle...just happened they were an exact fit...didn't plan it that way.

We machined our own ARB assembly...if any of you are interested we can supply you with these parts. Note the light weight and simple cockpit adjuster for the ARB's.

Sadly we won't be making the trip to the ARRC. Our clutch failed on Friday at WIR during testing. We have parts coming in to fix it but they won't arrive till Tuesday. This wouldn't give Tony enough time to repair it and get on the road...he'd have to drive basically non stop to make Thursdays practice.

Bright side of Fridays WIR test session was that I was able to lower my lap times by 3 seconds...and that was with no clutch. We're getting real close to tickling the FA Lap Record at WIR.

Enjoy the pics

Gary Hickman
    Last edited by ghickman; 07.07.13 at 3:00 PM.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Do you have to pull the engine to replace the clutch? Even still, you have your hoist! There is a Suzuki dealer right up the road from RA... hit the road, send the new clutch to that dealer and I'll help you put it in right at the track... clutches are easy!
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

Great photos Gary, And great looking car. I'm very interested in what's going on under those side pods. Any photos of that you care to share? Or is that super secret?

I start stripping down the RF next month to begin the FB conversion. I got a few ideas about the cooling. Think I got it solved. But bet I don't entirely.
    Last edited by Thomas Copeland; 11.03.08 at 1:16 PM.
    Firman F1000

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Copeland View Post
    Great photos Gary, And great looking car. I'm very interested in what's going on under those side pods. Any photos of that you care to share? Or is that super secret?

I start stripping down the RF next month to begin the FB conversion. I got a few ideas about the cooling. Think I got it solved. But bet I don't entirely.
    Thanks for the nice compliments Thomas.

For now we'll keep the side pod internals covered up. But suffice it to say we spent many hours developing them. So far overheating has not been an issue and I believe we got the frontal area about as minimal as possible.

Good luck with the conversion, if there's any machining you need do keep us in mind.

Regards
    Gary
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Stock '07 GSXR 1000 clutch plates

Extremely low hours, perfect cond.
    Has your name on it.
    Free.
    Bring it, Sean'll help install it!

GC

BTW, what exactly failed? Doesn't sound from your lap times that it is slipping...

Gary! Sweet car! Great seeing you at PRI today...get your new wide angle GoPro on there and show us what you can do...can't wait to see it. Congrats again on your car...I cannot believe you built that yourself?!?!!? NICE WORK!

Quote Originally Posted by GoPro View Post
    Gary! Sweet car! Great seeing you at PRI today...get your new wide angle GoPro on there and show us what you can do...can't wait to see it. Congrats again on your car...I cannot believe you built that yourself?!?!!? NICE WORK!
    Thanks Nic....The NEW Wide Angle GO PRO IS ON THE CAR ....I'll video our entire experience at the PIR NATIONAL in January. If we head up to Willow Springs before PIR for testing I'll fire it up for that also.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information