Liked: 30

Default Totally off the wall...

...half baked idea?

As it relates to crew, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find helpers at the track that can (or want to) take off the time necessary to do long weekends.

I'm wondering if there isn't some way to organize local willing soles at different tracks (in the southeast, in my case) that can work for hire to fill this need for guys in the same boat I'm in--Workers for crew duties similar to corner workers, if you will.

Like I said, it maybe just another dingy idea.

Try to let me down easy, Ladies & Gentleman.

Liked: 23

This is a real problem and you're right, a community approach to solving it is ripe for organizing since the internet makes it much easier to get people together.

In Off-road desert racing, having the necessary pits setup often times hundreds of miles apart is an even much harder challenge than the problems we face. There is a group called First Association of Independent Racers (FAIR: http://www.fairpit.com/) that self organized and create pits spaces for non-factory teams. Might be interesting to see how they got the group together; its been around since the 80's as a response to the factory teams who simply had the pull to get the people required to man all the pits for 1000k down to La Paz.

I know of a handful of guys I race with that prep their own cars but in the event something goes awry we can't always work singlehandedly within the schedule to solve. Pooling one talented crew guy across three cars (assuming each driver is still doing a good portion of the normal prep/work over the weekend on their car) could likely be pretty economical. Odds that all three cars are in an a$$holes & elbows thrash at the same time can be slim at a club race; pro race probably more likely.

I hired a former Indy lights crew chief at Mont Tremblant last year as he lived <10 miles from the circuit and I was in a bind knowing I would have to split the car before the weekend even started (left car in Canada between events to go back to work). When you just have to hand the keys to the toolbox to someone you trust inherently the whole weekend experience changes tremendously to the positive.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

You're half-baked but this is a good thought.

Another thought I have had but haven't done the footwork on is to go to the local college and post an ad, hopefully at an engineering school. Should be a couple of car people who are still used to not making any money! I know that I served as crew for free for several years before I realized that some of the other guys got paid!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 1

Years ago I put up some ads at a local college and got several responses. I ended up "hiring" a great guy who helped me out for several seasons before he went on to the pro ranks. He eventually went on to work as a team manager for a pro race team.

My current crew chief is a retired friend who fortunately has the free time and is willing to help. I cover all his expenses and pay him a small amount per day to make it worth his while. The amount I pay him is relatively insignificant compared to the costs of tires, entry fees, fuel, hotels, etc., but it allows him to go home and maybe buy something nice for himself, the wife, or the kids. I know that most club racers don't want to pay anything for help......but this arrangement works for me. It also makes it less likely that you will get the dreaded last minute cancellation!

I would think that Apexspeed might be a good way to locate crew. Maybe post several weeks prior to a race and see if someone could refer you to a local crew guy?

Liked: 0

Default will race for food!

I have been crewing for Racer27 for 5 yrs now. He is a great friend & like the drivers this is my passion so giving up my weekends & vacation days to do it are worth it to me.
    How you find other guys like me... I have no suggestions. I am sworen to secrecy as to how he found me LOL
    So mostly this is a thanks to him for being a great competitor & good friend that has allowed me the opportunity to race.
    Stephen

Hard at Play Racing
    Crewing at it's Best!
    Hemmingway Said "the only true SPORTS are Bull Fighting, Mountain climbing & Auto Racing, Everything else is just a game."

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 413

That is a great idea. There are a large number of experienced guys out there who are now working in non-racing endeavors but love to work on race cars. IF you are going to split his fees and have him work on three cars then you need to consider issues such as parking together, groups, etc. Also, expect to get what you pay for. I have a guy that lives 25 minutes from RA. Used to work at Comprent, very familiar with our cars, and totally reliable. However, he charges over $200 a day, but doesn't charge per diem. Normally these guys will charge a bit more if there are multiple cars to care for. Also, don't think you can tell him you'll do most of the work so you don't think you should pay the normal rate. He is still providing his time whether he sits on his hands or works his butt off. Also, if there is a need to work into the wee hours usually overtime is charged.

That said, a database of potential crew-for-hire is an excellent idea.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Default Pit Pals vs Pros.

I have a number of friends that have offered over the years to pitch in and be crew at the track. Generally they are all normal everyday people with lives, wives, kids, etc. What this means is they are willing to lend a hand when something else more pressing isn't in the way. For me, that means I have to "schedule" people in and maintain backup plans for last minute drop outs. Also it means I have a kind of "wounded soldier" syndrome in this arrangement where I am continually training new talent; something of course always gets forgotten in this mode.

Neil Porter offer a few different levels of service from arrive and drive rentals on down. His most modest fee is a small daily fee where he is available to belt you in and help when things really get out of hand (like earlier this season when I over cooked the Corkscrew at Laguna and bent a couple of corners). Some races his guys rarely do anything other than belt me in and give me a push when needed. Other days (like the Laguna Shunt) they thrash all day long at my side putting things back together. I think of the days I use them very little as the "insurance premium days" and the days when I use them a lot as the "insurance claim" days. It works very well, it probably costs me about the same as the expenses for my non-professional friends and when the chips are down, nobody in the paddock is better at their jobs.

Works for me.

Liked: 3

One or two of the Scout Masters around here are racing guys, so on occasion, the scout troop will help anyone who makes a donation to the troop. Don't expect an alignment or anything like that, but just having someone willing to go fill the air tank or help you set up the canopy can make things so much easier.

I recall Gary Godula having a positive experience at the BFR Firecracker Regional a few years ago. I guess the scout he got was very energetic, eager to learn how to turn wrenches, and willing to get his hands dirty.

The one thing I don't remember is if they get a badge for it. But the troop gets a little financial help, so it can't be all bad.

Like Mr. Steele mentioned, I too am an arrive and drive so that I know I'll have helping hands that are thinking clearly. It costs about the same as taking care of two people who volunteer to help out, and has far less hassle associated with it.

Steve

Liked: 597

So........

..maybe we get this site to add a thread/heading/section entitled something like....

Will wrench for Beer and Burgers and maybe a cot in the trailer

with content something like.....

"I (insert name here)_
    might be able to crew occasionally for
    A) all [but not a pro prep shop]
    B) major mechanical duties
    C) minor mechanical duties
    D) i can be a gopher.....
    and i live________
    and my contact is _____________
    and I can go to these tracks _______________
    and I could bring__________________
    you need to...or not....pick me up.

Liked: 42

Interesting subject....

A pro team I am associated with had great success finding "car kids" that were between 18-21 on MySpace

They had basic mechanical skills and at least, could be gophers! The other stuff can be taught to people without much difficulty.

Offering them expense paid trips to the track on the weekend (food, travel, hotel) in exchange for 14 hour + days (little did they know) worked for a few seasons!

It only takes one or two dedicated crew guys to make a team stable for seasons.

Liked: 30

Default Crew help

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    That is a great idea. There are a large number of experienced guys out there who are now working in non-racing endeavors but love to work on race cars. IF you are going to split his fees and have him work on three cars then you need to consider issues such as parking together, groups, etc. Also, expect to get what you pay for. I have a guy that lives 25 minutes from RA. Used to work at Comprent, very familiar with our cars, and totally reliable. However, he charges over $200 a day, but doesn't charge per diem. Normally these guys will charge a bit more if there are multiple cars to care for. Also, don't think you can tell him you'll do most of the work so you don't think you should pay the normal rate. He is still providing his time whether he sits on his hands or works his butt off. Also, if there is a need to work into the wee hours usually overtime is charged.

That said, a database of potential crew-for-hire is an excellent idea.
    Charles,

I'm hoping that the "RA" is Road Atlanta. If that's the case is there a way I can contact him?

The data base idea is what I was thinking, but how would one get that started? I wonder if our Brilliant Apex Administrators could add a category for that...?

Thanks to all for the ideas...

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 413

Sorry, in this case the RA is Road America.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 210

Isn't there a politically correct version of these abbreviatons?

RA = Road America
    RAt = Road Atlanta

We have a similar problem out here with Pacific Raceway and Portland International Raceway.

PIR = Portland International Raceway
    PR = Pacific Raceway

You have to watch for the "I" or no "I" so you won't tow to the wrong track!

That's bad enough. But confusing RA with RAt leads to much more gas being used up for a miss-tow
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 68

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    We have a similar problem out here with Pacific Raceway and Portland International Raceway.

PIR = Portland International Raceway
    PR = Pacific Raceway

You have to watch for the "I" or no "I" so you won't tow to the wrong track!

That's bad enough. But confusing RA with RAt leads to much more gas being used up for a miss-tow
    True, but I think that towing to PIR (Phoenix) instead of PIR (Portland) might be equally annoying....
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 78

Default Crewing is a great way to learn racecraft

I been crewing for SF Region FF racer Tom Duncan for three seasons now and wouldn't ever consider him paying me. I hope to be a competitor of his someday, but until then, I'm learning so much just helping him make his car fast (as well as trying to help him figure out how to undo what we did to make it slow when we thought it WOULD be fast!) I can't put a price on that. He's a great friend for entrusting me with this kind of responsibility and I take it very seriously, even though he and the guys are just racing for braggin' rights until the next event. I'd say to anyone else on this thread who has toyed with learning to crew, you should jump in. It's a great way to be involved and it's as close to the action as you can be without strapping into the cockpit yourself. You'll learn set-up, mechanics and gain a real sense of pride when your driver performs well, safely. Go for it!

Liked: 1

The "kid" I have crew for me gets paid in kind. He's local, so there's no per diem, but I feed him and for every weekend he gets a free autocross event - in my F500. I still owe him one due to breakage that isn't fixed yet. It works for us. If they will fit into your car and you are comfortable with their driving, it's a (relatively) inexpensive way to get a crew.

When I go to PIR (the one in OR), we all paddock together so there's always someone around to pull the starter string for me.

Liked: 210

Hey Spiffy. I'll pull your starter string any day Just paddock near by!

Did you run any ICSCC races this year?
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Thread Information