Liked: 1432

Default How Big is My Rear End!!!

The one in my car....come on!!!

Does any one out there know how I can find out what ring and pinion ratio I might have? Aside from taking it apart of course. I am getting some hard to believe numbers for mph when I am doing gear conversions.

Thanks!!!

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

This is very simple. Since you live in WI, I assume that you've run Road America more than once.

If you are pulling more than 6700 RPM and your 4th gear is numerically 1 or more (i.e. 24/26, 25/26, 26/26), you have a 10/31

If your 4th is overdrive, you have a 9/31

Of course, this is for normal rear tires on the rear wheels. Weren't you the guy ahead of me on the grid in the rain last Sunday with the front wets on the rear? That would definitely change the calculations.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Hi Gary,

Wish I woulda had a chance to meet you over the RA event....but I didn't want to leave my dry shelter. We didn't put a boat in the trailer.

That was me on them skinnes. Doing the conversion for the skinny wet tire, my mph was a little hard to believe, and I was doing some conversions for Blackhawk and came to the same.

At RA I was running out of gear at pit out and had to maintain that to the marker. I didn't anticipate needing a higher gear than I had, especially in the rain even though the front wet is even smaller dia than the slick. I should have found another gear, but 2 changes is enough for me in one weekend.

So, to answer my question, 10:31 it is. Guess that is good news

Thanks Gary, next time I will make a point to stop by!

Liked: 3

Default Not a 10:31

Reid:

If you are talking about the 92 VD - the car has a 9:31.

Thanks Cindy,
    That makes much more sense now. I didnt think there was a Ford on the planet that would do 155 at RA.

Thank you!!!

Liked: 7

Default rear end

The next time you change gears, examine between the splines on the pinion shaft, the ratio should be stamped right on the shaft.
    Jim

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    Hi Gary,
    Wish I woulda had a chance to meet you over the RA event....but I didn't want to leave my dry shelter. We didn't put a boat in the trailer.
    It wasn't that bad (said the SoCal guy). I saw in the Supps that the North Paddock was reserved for EWC guys so I stayed there.

I hope to make it to RdAm a couple of times next year so hopefully a bunch of us will meet up.

And don't be afraid to drive south! Atlanta is still very nice in November!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 413

Pull the rear cover. Mark the pinion shaft. Mark a tire. Start turning the tire. It will either go around 10 times when the pinion shaft has reached 31 revolutions or 9 times.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 4

Default Diff

Don't you need to keep the diff from spinning for the tire/pinion shaft test to work ie. turn both wheels together?

Paul
    Lotus 51

Liked: 29

Charles is spot on as usual

Jim Gustafson
    Racing Since 1970

Thread Information