Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Reynard 90h Atlantic $19,500

Reynard 90h Atlantic
    11 races total on this car and it's very clean. Never crashed.
    Jennings long rod bottom end with Loynings head on 48 Webers.
    Motor just freshend with many new parts. Break in time only
    New rad, new battery, new TDC pump, new holly red fuel pump, newly ceramic coated exhaust
    Spare wheel set and nose
    Needs new seatbelts to run.
    $19500obo Car loacated in San Diego
    Buying a house and need some cash
    Thanks,
    Neil
    858 353-0100
    neildrake@yahoo.com
    Last edited by neildrake; 09.16.08 at 4:05 PM.

Liked: 3

is delivery possible?I'll have cold beer for you

Gord
    later Gord
    BTW...only toilets need doors
    www.blurredvisionracing.com

Liked: 14

I wondered where that car went
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Contributing Member

Default Reynard 90h Atlantic

Hey Gord,
    If you're serious, then yes at the asking price of the car, I can get it to the border for you
    You can ship some of that cold beer down here. Haven't had a Canadian beer in a while; mostly Mexican stuff here down by the southern border
    Neil

Contributing Member

Default History on Car

Hi Kevin,
    Do you know the early history of the car?
    Thanks,
    Neil

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default updates?

Do you know if the floor and/or rear bulkhead have been reinforced? That can be an issue with these cars.

Liked: 0

Neil
    If you or any prospective buyer is interested Shrimp & Peas Fabrication has a large inventory of spare Reynard 90-H parts that include: uprights, bearings, rockers, nose mold, tunnel molds, spare side pods, wheels, suspension corners, rear wings, AP clutch and break parts, front wing cunards original aluminum still covered in plastic. These cars are fun to drive fast and priced right.
    S&P Fabrication
    contact Dave Neufeld 845-613-0461
    www.shrimpandpeasfab.com
    Shelton

Is this car still for sale?

Liked: 1

Default Bang for the buck....

Although I am not familiar with this particular car or seller, this really is a lot of car for the money. The engine alone is worth well over $10K. I have seen Shelton's Reynard 90H....and these are truly beautiful cars. Very fast, and with a nice safe carbon tub.

I aquired this car from Neil in October of 08. Very nice original car. I am in the process of completing some upgrades, and hope to have it out for testing next season. Thanks to Mike Demski, and other contacts through Apex Speed, for all of the advice and help!

Doug Donkel
    Reynard 90H FA
    Mysterian M1 FV

Liked: 24

Cool...keep us up to date and post pictures...we like pic's

Liked: 13

Post reinforced tub ?

to: D. T. Benner - Doug Donkel,- Neal Drake or others that know these cars from the very early 90's.

Beautiful car - but often just like beautiful women, some times not prefered for hidden reasons. When ever I mention this car every one says there are upgrades ?

This looks to be a lot of car for the money - even though the atlantic class now allows the much bigger engines like the 2.3 L Mazdas as per the latest SCCA fasttrack info I have read. Will the 2.3 Mazda fit in the engine bay ?

I am thinking about looking at this car which is close by me in San Diego, what needs to be done to make it work properly as far as the reinforcing of the floor & Rear Bulkhead ?

Have any of the Chassis Upgrades already been done ?

Is this the same car Randy Cook Is campaigning in the bay area ? I think his is maybe a 92H or 93 - 94H - Reynard.

How durable is the Club Toyota engine with webbers instead of Injection ? Can I get a full season of 10 to 12 so-cal regional races out of the motor with out a freshining - with out risking it to blow up like a hand granade ? Typical SCCA weekend down here give about 3 hours track time per weekend of a double regional. So if careful & don't over rev - is it possible to get reliable 30 hours to 36 hours life out of the engine ? If not how many hours between o/h's ?

What else should I know about these cars ? Heard they are a flexi- flyer chassis for the 90H, is that true ? What is the fix to solve the issue ?

Do they have weak transmissions or Axles ?

How much room width wise in the seat area ? I already tried a Swift DB-4 & did not fit with my Hips & Shoulders. Is it any wider ?

Any info would be appreciated. It is one beautiful car - thats all I can say.

m.
    Last edited by Malfred; 10.30.09 at 9:30 PM. Reason: asking questions to forum at large about the car.

According to Doug's post above, he bought this car from Neil last year.

I think that Randy Cook has a 93H. A great source for 90H info would be Shelton at Shrimp & Peas Fabrication.

The Toyota 4AGE will last around 1000 miles between rebuilds if you keep the revs down to a reasonable level.

Liked: 13

Post engine life

So car is sold. -------- Good luck with this beautiful car.

As For the Toyota engine in any atlantic car:
    So for track average speed of about 100 MPH, probably around 10 to 12 hours at the most for the engine. That works out to 4 race weekends for us at the best. Good to know for decisions on costs per season. 12 races means 3 to 4 rebuilds per season for us down here.

On our SCCA Double regional weekends we have 1- 30 min practice, 1 - 30 min qualifying & 1- 30 min race each day for a double regional weekend. So that is 1.5 hours per day - 3 hours per weekend. So about 300 miles per weekend.

Thanks for the info. I always wanted to know.

I sure like the look of this car.

Good luck.

m.
    Last edited by Malfred; 10.31.09 at 1:49 PM. Reason: Car Sold

So what is a total run time on the engine during a weekend.....normal weekend that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Malfred View Post
    So car is sold. -------- Good luck with this beautiful car.

As For the Toyota engine in any atlantic car:
    So for track average speed of about 100 MPH, probably around 10 to 12 hours at the most for the engine. That works out to 4 race weekends for us at the best. Good to know for decisions on costs per season. 12 races means 3 to 4 rebuilds per season for us down here.

Thanks for the info. I always wanted to know.

I sure like the look of this car.

Good luck.

m.

We run our engines 1000 miles @ 10 grand then rebuild, we have gone 750 and also 1500 to see the effect. @ 750 generally very little difference up to 1K, 1500 seems to be too much and the pistons generally suffer.
    Regards
    Shelton
    Shelton

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

I owned two of these cars for several years. Although it has been sold there is another one available (one of mine I believe) so I'll answer your questions.

This looks to be a lot of car for the money - even though the atlantic class now allows the much bigger engines like the 2.3 L Mazdas as per the latest SCCA fasttrack info I have read. Will the 2.3 Mazda fit in the engine bay ?
    I doubt it. Even if you could the gearbox will not handle the increase in power/torque.

I am thinking about looking at this car which is close by me in San Diego, what needs to be done to make it work properly as far as the reinforcing of the floor & Rear Bulkhead ?
    The car originally had an aluminum skin for the floor from the front bulkhead to the rear of the driver's compartment. This allowed the tub to flex. Mike Demski designed a two piece carbon replacement kit that was to be bonded into the tub which increased its strength measurably. The rear bulkhead should be strengthened so you canattach the head plate. Originally the engine mounts were very flimsy and braces were required.

Is this the same car Randy Cook Is campaigning in the bay area ? I think his is maybe a 92H or 93 - 94H - Reynard.
    No.

How durable is the Club Toyota engine with webbers instead of Injection ? Can I get a full season of 10 to 12 so-cal regional races out of the motor with out a freshining - with out risking it to blow up like a hand granade ? Typical SCCA weekend down here give about 3 hours track time per weekend of a double regional. So if careful & don't over rev - is it possible to get reliable 30 hours to 36 hours life out of the engine ? If not how many hours between o/h's ?
    IMO the answer depends on how you treat the motor. I was able to get two years (at 6 races a year) out of both the BDAs and the 4AGs. I did not run them at max rpm and I had them built by professionals (Jennings and Loyning) and I took care of them. 1500 miles between rebuilds was no issue at all as long as proper care and feeding are provided. I've seen 2000 miles with no damage at all to the engine.

Do they have weak transmissions or Axles ?

How much room width wise in the seat area ? I already tried a Swift DB-4 & did not fit with my Hips & Shoulders. Is it any wider ?
    It is much wider than a DB4. The axles are thye same as all the other atlantics. The gearbox was problematic as designed in magnesium. The fix was to get an alloy one.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by kala View Post
    We run our engines 1000 miles @ 10 grand then rebuild, we have gone 750 and also 1500 to see the effect. @ 750 generally very little difference up to 1K, 1500 seems to be too much and the pistons generally suffer.
    Regards
    Shelton
    Shelton, you should call Arnie and talk with him about getting one of his new engines. He uses the 7afe block (same as 4age except 15mm taller) to allow MUCH longer rods, new motorcycle-inspired pistons instead of the full-skirt classic pop-ups from JE, and a much lighter billet crank. The result is both more power and longer TBO. We now use our old pro-spec engine as the spare. Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    It is much wider than a DB4. The axles are thye same as all the other atlantics. The gearbox was problematic as designed in magnesium. The fix was to get an alloy one.

It is my understanding the DB4 was one of the smallest cockpits....is that true?

I know I have sat in a 40/41 and it seemed quiet large to me...after the DB4.

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

It's the smallest I've ever run across, by far.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    Shelton, you should call Arnie and talk with him about getting one of his new engines. He uses the 7afe block (same as 4age except 15mm taller) to allow MUCH longer rods, new motorcycle-inspired pistons instead of the full-skirt classic pop-ups from JE, and a much lighter billet crank. The result is both more power and longer TBO. We now use our old pro-spec engine as the spare. Stan
    Hi Stan,

Any idea at this point in the development how much longer the TBO will be? Also, do you feel that higher rpm's are required in order to take full advantage of this engine configuration? Thanks in advance,

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    What is acronym TBO stand for.

Default TBO

Time between overhauls.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Ross View Post
    Hi Stan,

Any idea at this point in the development how much longer the TBO will be? Also, do you feel that higher rpm's are required in order to take full advantage of this engine configuration? Thanks in advance,

Rick
    We hope to get 50% more miles between rebuilds, but no one has run one that far yet. The long rods increase TDC/BDC dwell and reduce high-RPM piston scuff, which together show up as improved power the driver can feel above 9500 RPM. I wouldn't say we are raising the RPMs, as the pistons are already pretty much at their limit, but we have been gearing a bit tighter.

Quote Originally Posted by DB4 Tim View Post
    What is acronym TBO stand for.
    TBO = time between overhauls ... miles between rebuilds ... etc.
    Last edited by Stan Clayton; 11.01.09 at 9:03 AM. Reason: thanks Paul...I was watching the pregame show
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Stan,

Thanks for the info......very interesting stuff. Rennie has explained some of the features of this motor to me, but it is great to learn more. As I recall, you are using the standard pro head, without the "big valve" mods. Is this correct?

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by DB4 Tim View Post
    It is my understanding the DB4 was one of the smallest cockpits....is that true?

I know I have sat in a 40/41 and it seemed quiet large to me...after the DB4.
    The DB4 is very narrow in the hip bone area. I'm 5'9" 174lbs & I can't fit because my hip bones hit against the 2 aluminum panels at the bottom on each side which make it too painful to even sit in for a few minutes.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Rick, I believe your information is correct, but give Arnie a call for details. Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 10

I bought Sheltons 90-H. Although I have had my troubles initially, I am coming up to speed with the car, and the amount of commitment envolved in "proper care and feeding". Shelton and David at Shrimp and Peas Fabrication have been great, and are a good source for help with your new ride. I too and happy to help however I can, as a fellow owner.

The DB-4 was my first choice, but I sat in one, and to my disappointment did not fit. I think my first thought was "They designed this for "f---ing midgets"! These are a beautiful car though, and still a favorite, despite my new loyalty.

Speaking of which, The Reynard is a beautiful car! A large cockpit is an asset for big guys, and Claude Bourbonnais was one very big guy, who drove one back in the day.(I think 6'5" and 220) I am 6'2", 195lbs, with a 32 in. waist just for the record. I noticed that some of the photos posted by Windecker on Smugmug(awesome stuff...kudos to Windecker), show kneepads being worn by Claude.( I am getting some!) Although the Reynard sports a large cockpit, it does suffer the consequence of less room for the tunnels, and more frontal area. For the purposes of club racing, maybe an ambitious national campaign, or whatever gofast stuff you do, this is a great car, IMHO, with, as was already said, Great bang for the buck!

Guil
    413-553-3629
    gt596s2@yahoo.com

Liked: 31

Default Randy's car

Randy runs a 93h.
    Formula Enterprises 2, chassis #009
    A bad day at the track is still better than a good day at the office!

Thread Information