Thread: RA EWC FAQ's

Liked: 0

Default RA EWC FAQ's

(1) Who's entered? While there have been some shuffling of numbers in the last three days, the car count is stuck at 16 cars, evenly split between FF and CFF. Here's the link to the on-line registration for the entry list:

http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/clubd...8&ByGroup=true

(2) Where is the EWC paddock? The North Paddock, which includes the paved "NASCAR" area, has been reserved for race group #2. Thank you, Kevin Coulter and the Chicago Region.

(3) When and where will the EWC prize drawing be held? The Saturday evening prize drawing will be held at 4:00 PM at my trailer. I will be paddocked in the North Paddock (see above). In addition to the usual goodies, John Luxon will be distributing this year's EWC poster. Thank you, Luxon Printing.

(4) What will the weather be like? How the hell would I know. However, I have the rain tires aired up and the sweatshirts packed. Here's the link to the ten day Elkhart Lake forecast:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...opnav_business

(5) Will they run out of beer at Siebken's? No, not a chance.

See everyone in four days...

Steve Beeler, de facto EWC commissioner
    Lola T-540 HU44
    home: (734)416-8865 sbeeler@wowway.com
    office: (313)441-4460 x1141 sbeeler@pmcorp.com

Liked: 0

Default Weather Update

There is now a 70% chance of a "steady rain" on Saturday. See everyone later today.

Steve Beeler, de facto EWC commissioner
    Lola T-540 HU44
    home: (734)416-8865 sbeeler@wowway.com
    office: (313)441-4460 x1141 sbeeler@pmcorp.com

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Yes there was steady light rain all day. Oh what fun....

At least the EWC showed strongly with even more people expected to be there on Sunday!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

It rained all weekend. Being from Southern California, I haven't done much racing in the rain so I was very uncomfortable with the whole thing, especially with the Zink that I was running for the first time!

I think everyone spun at least a counple of times over the weekend but with all my spins, only one caused any damage - broken header in Sun Qual.

That said, big props to Steve Beeler and the regular EWC guys. If you haven't run with these guys, you should make a point of it. It was 12 hours to Road America for me but everyone was great (except the asphalt hog SM guys who blocked the road for me, Steve and Ian).

Can't wait until next year!
    Garey Guzman
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 3

Garey, for someone without much rain experience, you sure did well running away from the rest of us! I was going too slow to spin, though I nearly managed it once when you passed me and I was dumb enough to try to follow you...

I also owe a big thank-you to Dan Johnson for catching a spin in 14 early in Sunday's race. I don't know how you managed to finally find traction in that skating rink, but I was sure we were in for a Van Tiga Diemen mangle. It was a lot of fun trying to keep up with you, right up until the waterfall exiting 12 bit you. I hope the car is ok.

That was the most fun I've ever had being completely miserable. Let's all get together and do it again in the dry sometime.

Liked: 1432

For my inaguaral EWC event, I agree with John...good fun indeed. Could have called it the EWC at Silverstone with all the fog on Saturday. I pretended I was in Europe, haha. I have never went through so many wet socks.....

I the attachment, the Road America media building should be in the upper left quarter of the picture. We were about 1000 feet or so from it.

Hey John....isnt that you in front!!!?
    Last edited by reidhazelton; 04.01.09 at 2:32 PM.

Hahaha -- me in front of you, for the only time that weekend: on the grid. In fact, you passed me on the grid too...

Wow, those rain lights really don't do much in that pea soup, do they? Guess I should think about ponying up for an Afterburner or Ultimate LED light soon!

Quote Originally Posted by JHaydon View Post
    That was the most fun I've ever had being completely miserable.
    Perfectly expressed!
    Garey Guzman

Good looking car John! Rain lights were all but useless that day. I couldn't even see the LED ones until I was about 20 or 30 feet back.

First time in an fenderless car in the rain...tearoffs don't work do they, haha. On the warm up lap I ripped the whole stack off. I learn my lessons the hard way! Good times...

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    On the warm up lap I ripped the whole stack off.
    Been there, torn them (all) off. As with anything, there's a trick. Next time you're around, stop over and I'll show you how I put mine on. I haven't lost a stack since that first time.

I just use rainX with no tear-offs

But like I said, I don't have much experience in the wet (I think this was my 4th time ever)
    Garey Guzman

Liked: 25

Default Fog Inside

Maybe this is a good group to ask about problems with fog on the inside of the visor. That is the worst problem I have had. How did your various approaches (or helmets) do? The conditions look awfully wet! I think you had more Fords than the Labor Day Double National at HPT.
    - Frank C

I had used Fog-X on the inside of my visor several years ago (I don't normally run the clear shield except in the rain, so it hasn't had much use). I tried to keep the visor open a crack, but without stuffing a wad of tape under it, the wind probably closed it before corner 3.

I also tried warming the shield on grid by closing it all the way and then breathing kind of heavily, trying to make it fog up. It actually cleared up quickly, and I didn't have any problems.

I've heard excellent reviews of Fog City and Bell's "Fog Free" shields. Note that the makers of Fog-X actually warn that it may damage your shield, since they have no way of knowing the exact composition of the plastic. I had no trouble with my Bell shield, but I won't guarantee that yours won't melt...

Anybody have results of sat and sun race?

Andrew

Saturday FF
    1. Allen Wheatcroft
    2. John Luxon
    3. Lewis Cooper III
    4. Reid Hazelton

Saturday CFF
    1. Ian Lenhart
    2. Garey Guzman
    3. Steve Beeler
    4. Bob Hall
    5. John Haydon
    6. Pete Wood
    7. Joe Tovo
    8. Curtis Rehder

Sunday FF
    1. Hazelton
    2. Wheatcroft
    3. Luxon
    4. Johnson
    DNF Cooper III

Sunday CFF
    1. Tovo
    2. Hall
    3. Beeler
    4. Haydon
    5. Guzman
    6. Wood
    7. Rehder
    8. Lenhart

Liked: 201

Quote Originally Posted by Frank C View Post
    Maybe this is a good group to ask about problems with fog on the inside of the visor. That is the worst problem I have had. How did your various approaches (or helmets) do? The conditions look awfully wet! I think you had more Fords than the Labor Day Double National at HPT.
    - Frank C
    I would normally not run any tear offs in the wet. It will just be likely to make it even harder to see plus whenever I am in the wet the water just rolls right off of my shield (I havent put Rain X or anything on it). I do leave it cracked a little bit to help with the fogging. If your visor wants to shut itself completely when you leave it cracked then try tightening the screws to make it harder to move your visor and that will hopefully help.

Liked: 77

No visor issues all weekend. rain-x applied twice as per instructions to the outside. A roled up piece of tape under the visor to keep it open a lil' bit.

Tear offs are not an option in the wet. The moisture gets between them.

Now, if I could just start a damn race without getting a black flag! Did I set a record on jumping the start in a weekend?

A special thanks to Kevin for my gentle penalty on Sunday. Saturday was brutal!

Quote Originally Posted by Jtovo View Post
    Now, if I could just start a damn race without getting a black flag! Did I set a record on jumping the start in a weekend?
    Joe, I know there have been some Triple race weekends around Labor Day so there is a possibility that someone else still holds the record. In all likelihood, you've probably joined a very select group!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank C View Post
    Maybe this is a good group to ask about problems with fog on the inside of the visor. That is the worst problem I have had. How did your various approaches (or helmets) do? The conditions look awfully wet!
    A lot depends on your head/mouth/nose configuration in the specific helmet. I do some cardio work so even in a race, my breathing doesn't get too hard or fast. I know I breath a lot easier now then when I started racing.

With my old Simpson, RainX kept visability good and I closed my visor before the race started and had no issues, even with our delayed start for fog!
    Garey Guzman

Liked: 190
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 2

Does anyone have any in-car video of the event....Damn, I sure miss you guys.....

Reid might. I wasn't brave enough to hook my my newish POV in the rain. It might have been cool but I was scared something might happen to it.
    Garey Guzman

I do have video from each session. If someone can tell me how to dl it to the site and/or burn it to a DVD I will share it. I have tried to burn the 4.2 gig worth of vid to a 4.7 gig DVD, but Windows Media Player will only recognize it as a 700mb data/audio cd.

Can I add it to the site like a photo attachment??
    Last edited by reidhazelton; 09.21.08 at 5:56 PM.

Liked: 2

Someone help this guy out...... I want to see.

I posted a picture from the false grid in an earlier post. It was about how the rest of the track looked. I loved every minute of it, it was a different experience indeed!!!

Liked: 9

Reid,

If you send me the card, I can put it on DVD for ya.

-b
    Currently Without Car

Thanks for the offer Brad, much appreciated. But, again, there lies another problem. I only have a 2g SD card, and a 2g usb flash drive. The vid is 4.2g.

Liked: 9

send 'em both....
    Currently Without Car

Lemme see what I can do. Thanks!!!!

OfficeMax had a sale on 8G USB thingies a couple of weeks ago -- $15, I think. Same price as a 2GB!

8gig thingies??!!! Good Grief!!! I'm on the case.....

Thread Information