Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Liked: 7

I am still looking from the outside but it did not take me long to realize that the towing story is the key (trailer+towing vehicle+winter storage) for people who otherwise do not know what to do with a truck/SUV. I am looking into towing a formula car either with a long tow dollie or a single axle trailer. Unfortunately the weight for most car+trailer combos still exceeds the max allowed for my minivan(s). How do you manage to satisfy the insurance requirements by towing with a car? Thanks for any input.

Keep an eye on ebay. Small race car trailers are fairly useless to the outside world (landscapers and such). I picked up one from a sprint car guy. Cost - $300. A little paint, new tires, and bearings, and I am towing at a significantly cheaper cost then pulling the "box". Car litterly rolled right onto the rails as is! Ramps should be longer, but boards are doing the job for now. There was also one built for a dune buggy that would have been perfect as well, went for $350 in centeral PA. You can't build them this cheap!

I have pulled it with my car. Car is rated at 2500lbs. Just local autoX stuff. (no tools, spares, extra weight)

Still keep the box though, makes a great extra garage, and gets used for the longer hauls.

Little trailers save lots of gas...keep an eye on ebay.

Liked: 0

Having ventured into the fendered world now (I know I'm a heretic, please don't stone me!!! ) I have found that running doubles where we share the car,or doing enduros have provided the most seat time for the cost. It costs the same to tow and stay for a single as it does a double.

Liked: 3

Russ,

We are fortunate that we in our region we have an SCCA owned track where we have test days. In our region (San Francisco) I can get a full test day at no cost if I volunteer as a flagger or communicator or one weekend. I volunteer for pro and national races and it covers my test track fees. It does not solve the problem of costs but it does save a few hundred dollars for each test day.

Liked: 0

Don't sell your car whatever you decide ... it doesn't eat anything and things have to turn around sooner or later.
    Mr. Merriman perhaps you should read the rules for the FRCCA the only classes that are restricted are their own club classes. ALL other classes are SCCA rules so what you said isn't true at all. They provide about 2 hours of track time per day for ALL classes, and if that is too much for you sit some out. However as far as the club classes go you can't beat them the rules for them have been a very stable platform and one car/engine/ gearbox and gear sets will get you through all 3 classes it just your talent that makes the change. But be clear that ALL formula cars are legal in the FRCCA. I have seen everything from Vees to Indy cars at their events.
    JH

Liked: 597

Default more stupid ideas....but they would save a little

to reduce your racing costs..........never file a protest (save the money) - skip practice sessions on the weekends when you race if you pretty much know the course (saves the tires and a little gas) - turn as few laps as you can in qualifying (saves the tires and a little gas) - as soon as you take the checker just park the car in a safe place, get towed in (saves a little gas) - figure out a specific all around set of gears to run for all tracks, never change the tranny gears (saves a little on fluids expense) - depending on what type of oil is used in the racecar, put the racecar's used oil in your tow car or your wife's street car
    Last edited by EYERACE; 09.24.08 at 2:27 PM.

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    <snip> as soon as you take the checker just park the car in a safe place, get towed in (saves a little gas)
    If it ever gets so bad I need to do this, just shoot me. Please. :-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 597

like it said..........stupid

here's another one.......since the scca pays no purses to us...instead...make side bets with other drivers, beat them and then collect

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information